Beginning IIH question

Information and advice for those new to the Occult.

Yex
Forum Member
Forum Member

Beginning IIH question

Post by Yex »

Hey all,

I've picked up a copy of Bardon's Initiation Into Hermetics, since so many people on this board seem to rave about it. I've started the first mental exercise. I'm a little unclear though - am I supposed to be doing the "soul" and "physical" first exercises simultaneously, or do I wait until I've completed all of the thought exercises in step 1? I deliberately haven't read past the first thought exercise in step 1, because I don't want to get ahead of myself.
"love is the whole and more than all" - ee cummings

"Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings" - Robert Hunter, as sung by Jerry Garcia and the Grateful Dead

RockDemon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Beginning IIH question

Post by RockDemon »

You do all the exercises of "soul and physical" in the same step simultaneously. ;)

Shinichi
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Shinichi »

You do them however you feel is best for you until you have the entire step under your belt, and you are proficient in all of the skills mentioned therein.

Personally, I recommend you first read through the entire book cover to cover before anything else, just to see what's there. You should not pursue a system, and in your heart you can't seriously, unless you know the end goals and you agree with them. If you do agree with Bardon's spiritual, Theurgic pursuits, then you are meant to practice the exercises of each step one at a time until you are proficient in all of them them for that step, at which point you move to the next step to do the same. Bardon himself says that it is vital to train the Mind, Soul, and Body simultaneously, because you are incarnate in all three bodies and thus all three are important to the magician. When a section has more than one exercise, like the multiple Mental exercises in some steps, then you just work on them one at a time until you work through them, while also working on the Soul and Body training too. It's a bit like training the Body in the gym. You don't want to just do upper body exercises, or just do lower body exercises, or muscle will grow in one place and stay the same in the other - causing imbalance and a variety of...issues. Working the whole system is important.

But if you need to do something different from what most people say, do it. Every initiation is an individuals journey. There is no standard, no set way to do things or set amount of time it takes to get done. You practice, you grow at your own pace, and that is Magick.

~:Shin:~

Yex
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Yex »

Thanks, all. I'll do the mind, soul, and body exercises simultaneously. As for reading the whole book ahead of time, I think I will continue taking it one step at a time, as I think that will be more effective for me, personally. I read the theory section, and it all seems on the up and up, so I don't think there should be a problem. If on the off chance I get to a step that I completely disagree with, I can always just stop, and still have benefited from the steps that I did master, but I tend to doubt that that will occur. [thumbup]
"love is the whole and more than all" - ee cummings

"Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings" - Robert Hunter, as sung by Jerry Garcia and the Grateful Dead

RockDemon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by RockDemon »

Would you mind if I ask another question in here?This seems to be a good topic for this one and You probably will get to this one soon as well probably. So guys there is this problem I have while meditating. I mostly meditate laying. It is okay with me I do not fall asleep. Well no matter the pose after meditating around 20 -30 minutes my body just begs to move. It becomes very heavy and even moves on its own. So is there any "trick" for this problem or do I just have to consciously force my body to stop moving and keep it that way?

Shinichi
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Shinichi »

There's a Posture Control section in my posted Fundamental Development writing. Basically, yeah, you just wait it out - but don't try to force it. Force creates tension, and you want to relax into it for the best results.

Or, you could just do multiple half hour sections throughout the day.

Rin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Rin »

Just practice and work on relaxing and maintaining posture, and you'll improve in small but steady increments. Some kind of yoga class to teach you stretching and proper posture couldn't hurt either - at some stage you're going to have to move to upright meditation, and the fact that you're having trouble with it suggests some underlying problem which could have deeper implications.
"The path of the Sage is called
'The Path of Illumination'
he who gives himself to this path
is like a block of wood
that gives itself to the chisel-
cut by cut it is honed to perfection"

- DDJ, Verse 27

"It's still magic even if you know how it's done." - Terry Pratchett

RockDemon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by RockDemon »

Shinichi wrote:There's a Posture Control section in my posted Fundamental Development writing. Basically, yeah, you just wait it out - but don't try to force it. Force creates tension, and you want to relax into it for the best results.

Or, you could just do multiple half hour sections throughout the day.

ah, yes ... I forget about it, thanks for reminding. You know your fundamental development is some kind of initiation on it's own. Very good one. Moreover I think combined with Bardon, it can give awesome results. I will tell you after some training time.
And if I do multiple half hour sections throughout the day will it help me to be able to meditate for longer after awhile ?
Rin wrote:Just practice and work on relaxing and maintaining posture, and you'll improve in small but steady increments. Some kind of yoga class to teach you stretching and proper posture couldn't hurt either - at some stage you're going to have to move to upright meditation, and the fact that you're having trouble with it suggests some underlying problem which could have deeper implications.
Could you elaborate please?

Rin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Rin »

Elaborate on what exactly?
is like a block of wood

- DDJ, Verse 27

RockDemon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by RockDemon »

and the fact that you're having trouble with it suggests some underlying problem which could have deeper implications.
What do you mean , what kind of implications ?

Rin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Rin »

Most people should have no trouble with meditating in an upright position for 10 - 20 minutes at a time and then slowly increasing that time period. If you are, then it's likely that there's some underlying problem (although the nature of the problem would depend on the exact symptoms which prevent you from attaining longer periods of upright meditation).

By deeper implications, I mean that whatever problem it is could go on to have worse side effects for you down the road, and that you should get it checked out and fix it.
is like a block of wood

- DDJ, Verse 27

RockDemon
Forum Member
Forum Member