Help with Equilibrating Ritual of the Pentagram (LBRP)

Information and advice for those new to the Occult.

whiteswan1988
Forum Member
Forum Member

Help with Equilibrating Ritual of the Pentagram (LBRP)

Post by whiteswan1988 »

Okay, I'm gonna say what we all know- doing the Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram (what the book I learned it from- Everything You Wanted To Know About Magick But Were Afraid To Ask by Shawn Martin Scanlon- calls the Equilibrating Ritual of the Pentagram- ERP) is a pain in the ass. I get that, and I'm still willing to do it as often as possible (twice a day is recommended for beginners).

But problem is, I don't have any place to do it uninterrupted. My father lives with me and he often calls up to me in my room or has TV or loud music going on so I get distracted. Going outside is not an option since I live in a neighborhood and since it's freezing cold outside this time of year.

I know you can use the "Great Voice" (speaking under your breath) for rituals when other people are home, but it's not just that I can't make noise- it's that when other people are home it distracts me and I can't find a certain time every day to do the ritual (my dads hours are unscheduled and random).

What have you found works for you when you have limited space and live with other people who will inevitably distract you? (I can't tell him what I'm doing because he would ridicule or disagree with it, it might create an argument).

Sypheara
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Help with Equilibrating Ritual of the Pentagram (LBRP)

Post by Sypheara »

Moving out. Seriously.

There is no way you can do ceremonial magick when you have to the threat of being to be distracted or worse hanging above you all the time.

You can look into other types of magick, on smaller scale, thats easier to hide and practice if you still wish to continue learning until you can finally get your own space.
'Flores noctis sumus atque alas pandimus, In profundis tenebrarum.'
Feel free to visit my blog at http://www.theluciferianrevolution.com
(admin approved link)

Cygnus
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Cygnus »

Sypheara wrote:Moving out. Seriously.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's most likely a financial issue, I'm guessing the OP is young (I'd venture to say he's 27), hence living with Dad. Not too many young folk have the fiscal resources to have their own place.

White Swan, I can empathise. I live in what we in the UK call a "granny flat", shared hallway and front door but attached to the main house. I'm aware if I intone loudly it will carry through the walls, so I try to do everything soto voce,
the hindrances can actually create a desirable intensity if you channel it inwards.

Here are some camouflage options you might want to consider:
1) put some music on and if anything should be said, claim you're singing
2) tell Dad you've taken up a martial art like Tai Chi and say it's your attempt at Chinese speaking (depends how smart you Dad is I guess)
3) Alternatively try to time your practice for when he might be out (I'm assuming here that he's not housebound by ill-health)

However, you are limited in going further as it's much harder to camouflage the smell of incense, probably impossible in your case; in my case I have to burn some toast and pretend it was an accident ::)

Asha_88
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Asha_88 »

Okay I have a weiird tip for you...I can say to your dad that you need some privacy with ...yourself. That way, you're sure that he will not disturb you for obvious reasons. You can also buy ears plugs at the drug store so you won't heard a thing, or buy a little door lock at 1$ store so your dad will not come into your room. You can also listen to classical music before you begin, maybe it will help you to concentrate? Good luck!
« Les normaux croient que je suis des leurs.Mais je ne pourrai pas rester une heure au milieu d'eux.J'ai besoin de vivre là-bas, de l'autre côté de ce mur.Mais là-bas, on ne veut pas de moi.»Jean-Paul Sartre

whiteswan1988
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by whiteswan1988 »

Yes, I am a 26 year old girl (you were very close!) and while my Dad isn't overtly anti-magick (he tends to waffle in his beliefs), I don't want him interrupting me. Even when I ask him not to interrupt me, he often does. But there are times he leaves and I can try to do the rituals whenever that is, even if it's at different times of the day.

Cygnus
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Cygnus »

whiteswan1988 wrote:Yes, I am a 26 year old girl (you were very close!)
Yeah, the 1988 in your handle was a bit of a clue [lol]
I Guess you haven't had your birthday this year either, you can have mine, I've had enough [crazy]

I'm having to work my rituals around my landlady's work patterns, hopefully The Universe will take these things into consideration

Sypheara
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Sypheara »

Cygnus wrote:
Sypheara wrote:Moving out. Seriously.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's most likely a financial issue, I'm guessing the OP is young (I'd venture to say he's 27), hence living with Dad. Not too many young folk have the fiscal resources to have their own place.

White Swan, I can empathise. I live in what we in the UK call a "granny flat", shared hallway and front door but attached to the main house. I'm aware if I intone loudly it will carry through the walls, so I try to do everything soto voce,
the hindrances can actually create a desirable intensity if you channel it inwards.

Here are some camouflage options you might want to consider:
1) put some music on and if anything should be said, claim you're singing
2) tell Dad you've taken up a martial art like Tai Chi and say it's your attempt at Chinese speaking (depends how smart you Dad is I guess)
3) Alternatively try to time your practice for when he might be out (I'm assuming here that he's not housebound by ill-health)

However, you are limited in going further as it's much harder to camouflage the smell of incense, probably impossible in your case; in my case I have to burn some toast and pretend it was an accident ::)
Don't get me wrong, wasn't trying to be an ass, I just think that these mitigating actions are just band aids to the real problem ie you are now needing your own space. I know the physical realities of that are difficult, and it varies from country to country.

I myself am only 25. I thankfully got lucky and in England have managed to get a 2 bed apartment to myself. Its nothing flash, certainly not in a safe part of the city, so I can understand the problems involved.

However it has made such a huge difference to my practice. No longer am i waking my house mates up for example by setting off fire alarms at 3am... just to take one example.

As such I have to seriously recommend it. If you can work towards that it will give you all the space and quiet you need to take your practice to the next level. Even if that is a long term goal..

In the meantime the suggestions here arnt bad. Its going to be a timing issue - you need to KNOW you aren't going to be interrupted otherwise the worry will put you off your stride. If you live in somewhere excessively rural you might want to consider going somewhere very remote, that you have to hike to for a few hours, and practicing out in the wild. If you are in New Zealand (i think from your introductory post? correct me if i'm wrong) this should be doable. A friend of my has constructed a temple out in the middle of nowhere and practices there and its absolutely perfect. I also used to do workings in the inner city graveyards where I work, as thye are usually very large, protected by high walls, and are abandoned at night with nobody wanting to enter them. That requires some scouting and very specific knowledge to pay the keeper of the dead however to ensure smooth work so i wouldnt recommend that unless you know what you are getting yourself into and are drawn to it.
(admin approved link)

Cygnus
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Cygnus »

Sypheara wrote: Don't get me wrong, wasn't trying to be an ass, I just think that these mitigating actions are just band aids to the real problem ie you are now needing your own space. I know the physical realities of that are difficult, and it varies from country to country.
I hope you didn't assume I thought you were being an ass, because I didn't.
Sypheara wrote: I myself am only 25. I thankfully got lucky and in England have managed to get a 2 bed apartment to myself. Its nothing flash, certainly not in a safe part of the city, so I can understand the problems involved.
Ah.. that surprised me, for some reason I had assumed you were older. Well done for getting "on the housing ladder" early, you've either got a very well paying job or you must live in The North where affordable housing is still a viable concept.

I too had my own two-bed flat in my early 20's, but life is a carousel of ups & downs and currently I'm on a down stretch. Such is Karma...

Sypheara
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Sypheara »

Cygnus wrote:
Sypheara wrote: Don't get me wrong, wasn't trying to be an ass, I just think that these mitigating actions are just band aids to the real problem ie you are now needing your own space. I know the physical realities of that are difficult, and it varies from country to country.
I hope you didn't assume I thought you were being an ass, because I didn't.
Sypheara wrote: I myself am only 25. I thankfully got lucky and in England have managed to get a 2 bed apartment to myself. Its nothing flash, certainly not in a safe part of the city, so I can understand the problems involved.
Ah.. that surprised me, for some reason I had assumed you were older. Well done for getting "on the housing ladder" early, you've either got a very well paying job or you must live in The North where affordable housing is still a viable concept.

I too had my own two-bed flat in my early 20's, but life is a carousel of ups & downs and currently I'm on a down stretch. Such is Karma...
I did a bit if im honest, people tend to sometimes take what I say as abrasive when im just stating my honest opinion on a matter. Just wanted to make sure, as text communication via the internet in any form is quite bad at conveying many subtle clues we use in daily language face to face.

People I think tend to up my age based on my text online when it comes to discussion forums on Occult/Spiritual matters as I approach it very seriously and try to keep posts formal where possible. So that doesn't come as too much of a surprise but it was an interesting reaction to read! [smile]

Your deducement is mostly correct.. I do live in the North and do have for my age a job that pays the national average wage which many struggle to get... but that doensn't mean im well off. I do well for myself but thats simply down to the fact I aimed my degree at something I knew would be a saleable skill, even though it isnt really my passion.

My home town was and is one of those post war villages that now has nothing in the way of employment and crippling social/economic issues. I made up my mind id not stay there for hell or high water and planned this to get the hell out. Getting my degree and this job was a conscious choice as was coming to somewhere that was liveable even on a basic wage.

If you cant afford to live somewhere or its extortionate you should consider moving to somewhere cheaper. I'd never live in the south of the UK for example.. it doesn't appeal to me, too much big business trying to put its hands in workers pockets. Visited a few times and I just don't see the appeal of the capital, paying extortionate prices for dodgy landlords. Would rather get myself into massive debt to leave it if i lived there.

Shame to hear about your flat, sometimes things just dont work out no matter what you do. Hopefully you can get around that and have better luck in the future.

Sorry to take this thread a bit off topic.. I do think it was necessary for me to elaborate the above to at least give context to my earlier suggestion.
(admin approved link)

corvidus
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by corvidus »

Why not do the ritual when you shower, or just after?

If you do it in the shower, you have the nice background noise of falling water you can focus on.
I'm sure around the time you're showering or just after, you'll be undisturbed long enough to have peace.

But I have the same problem. Just knowing someone else is in the house can be distracting. In the end, it comes down to being able to completely silence your mind.
Free yourself from the seduction of words.

Cygnus
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Cygnus »

I did a bit if im honest, people tend to sometimes take what I say as abrasive when im just stating my honest opinion on a matter. Just wanted to make sure, as text communication via the internet in any form is quite bad at conveying many subtle clues we use in daily language face to face.
Yeah, digital communications are all too easily misunderstood.

People I think tend to up my age based on my text online when it comes to discussion forums on Occult/Spiritual matters as I approach it very seriously and try to keep posts formal where possible. So that doesn't come as too much of a surprise but it was an interesting reaction to read! [smile]
That's a great attitude, nice one [thumbup]

Your deducement is mostly correct.. I do live in the North and do have for my age a job that pays the national average wage which many struggle to get... but that doensn't mean im well off. I do well for myself but thats simply down into the fact I aimed my degree at something I knew would be a saleable skill, even though it isnt really my passion.
Smart move, whereas I studied what interested me and thought I'd enjoy a career as a 'proper scientist'. If I'd known then what I know now...

My home town was and is one of those post war villages that now has nothing in the way of employment and crippling social/economic issues.
Yeah, I know the kind of place you mean, there's plenty of those close to me.

Shame to hear about your flat, sometimes things just dont work out no matter what you do. Hopefully you can get around that and have better luck in the future.

Oh, that was almost 30 years ago. I do currently own a nice 3-bed semi, but my wife lives there with the children while I'm still paying the mortgage + rent on my granny flat + saving up to pay court fees and solicitor bills (marriage, it's not a word, it's a sentence [cry] )
So you can see there are a goodly number of things I'm hoping The Gods can help me with [pray]
Sorry to take this thread a bit off topic.. I do think it was necessary for me to elaborate the above to at least give context to my earlier suggestion.
No, a bit of off-topic stuff is good. We may all be 'seekers after the truth' but we're also all of us flesh & blood human beings too.

Return to “Beginners Info”