What counts as real "progress"?

Information and advice for those new to the Occult.

DarkSchneider
Forum Member
Forum Member

What counts as real "progress"?

Post by DarkSchneider »

Hey guys,

so I'm feeling a tad unmotivated, moody again. I'm going to be re-evaluated soon for my diagnosis. In the mean-time I'm debating if I should go back to school, or pursue the Gem Club I want to join.

Anyways, the good news is, I am getting places with my studies. I'm learning to do scrying, I've been reading more, casting spells and practicing.

But how much progress must be realistically made in a short amount of time? Is this simply one of the limits we impose on ourselves?

I'm happy to say that, as far as things are going, they could be a lot worse. I just want my physical and mental heaviness to be relieved (which might be with me for life). I know I write often about my feelings here, and I want to contribute more, but I promise in due time you'll see me offering advice, support and suggestions too.

I am grateful for all the help you guys provide me and I feel welcomed here. I just, feel like I should be doing more. Be a better example, instead of a plump, lazy person :P

Maybe nothing is wrong, maybe I have a pretty good life ahead of me. A particular user always reminds me of how I am on the right path, and it seems to me I just need patience...

Anyways, I just needed to get this out.
"...You must never lose sight of who and what you are, and what a threat you can be, by your very existence. We are making history right now, every day. Always keep the wider historical and social picture in mind. That is an important key to both Lesser and Greater Magic. See the patterns and fit things together as you want the pieces to fall into place. Do not be swayed by herd constraints—know that you are working on another level entirely from the rest of the world." -Anton LaVey

ErebusNamtar
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: What counts as real "progress"?

Post by ErebusNamtar »

Nobody can tell you that except for yourself.
It's never fair to yourself if you start comparing with others or make some sort of time-table to "beat". You just can't rush these things. Everybody has his or her talents and/or innate abilities, some more than others, but through hard work and perseverance we are all capable of reaching the same heights.

Also it's good your are covering all the bases so to speak. The occult and the mundane go hand-in-hand; you cannot put one above the other. IMO that is a very unhealthy thing to do. How can you perform any works of ritual significance when you are fretting over basic needs?
I wonder why you'd describe yourself as a plump, lazy person? Seems to me you are doing quite a lot actually. [thumbup]

Cygnus
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Cygnus »

ErebusNamtar wrote:Nobody can tell you that except for yourself.
"It's like being in love, no one can tell you, you just know it, balls-to-bones" spoken by The Oracle, in The Matrix [thumbup]

DarkSchneider
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by DarkSchneider »

@ErebusNamtar

It's nice to know I don't have to compare myself to anyone. Heck, it's even in my signature. I tend to forget the importance of that. :) Yeah I started reading last night and I got through an entire guide to scrying, it wasn't long and it was a small book but I'm pleased I did it.

I just feel kinda fat and lazy but, well, maybe that doesn't reflect the entire reality about me :D

@Cygnus

I should watch the Matrix again it's been years :P
"...You must never lose sight of who and what you are, and what a threat you can be, by your very existence. We are making history right now, every day. Always keep the wider historical and social picture in mind. That is an important key to both Lesser and Greater Magic. See the patterns and fit things together as you want the pieces to fall into place. Do not be swayed by herd constraints—know that you are working on another level entirely from the rest of the world." -Anton LaVey

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Are you better today then what you were yesterday.
If yes = Progress.

DarkSchneider
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by DarkSchneider »

I like your posts. Straight and to the point. :)

It's sound advice and I appreciate it. I guess I'm too hard on myself.

RoseRed
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by RoseRed »

You have your own little cheering section here. We've been watching and celebrating your progress with you. It's a lifelong thing. There's no need.to rush through it.
When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

DarkSchneider
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by DarkSchneider »

I am happy to report that I was successful with my first scrying session with a glass ball :)

Thanks, RoseRed. :D

I'm just worried that I'll be a fat old man someday and look back at my life and wonder what I did with myself. Plenty of people my age are working or, studying but I don't know where to take my life.

But I'll keep things in perspective. My dream is to become a great magician. I know I can make it happen.

RoseRed
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by RoseRed »

You have your own little cheering section here. We've been watching and celebrating your progress with you. It's a lifelong thing. There's no need.to rush through it.
When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

DarkSchneider wrote:
I'm just worried that I'll be a fat old man someday and look back at my life and wonder what I did with myself. Plenty of people my age are working or, studying but I don't know where to take my life.
As a fat old man I have to say: Don't worry about it so much. Just do something for a while and if it doesn't work out, do something else.

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Desecrated wrote:
DarkSchneider wrote:
As a fat old man I have to say: Don't worry about it so much. Just do something for a while and if it doesn't work out, do something else.
Or maybe the role of the youth is to worry and the role of the old is to be pissed that we spent so much time worrying about shit that didn't mater.
So yeah. Keep worrying. Worry harder.

Cygnus
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Cygnus »

DarkSchneider wrote:
@Cygnus

I should watch the Matrix again it's been years :P
I've always found it to be strangely spiritual, in a sci-fi way, but it does seem to capture some heavy esoteric philosophies in a digestible manner.

Cygnus
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Cygnus »

Desecrated wrote: Or maybe the role of the youth is to worry and the role of the old is to be pissed that we spent so much time worrying about shit that didn't matter.
I think you've really got something there. [thumbup]

Return to “Beginners Info”