Variation of a common topic

Information and advice for those new to the Occult.

alnora
Forum Member
Forum Member

Variation of a common topic

Post by alnora »

I'm sure you've all heard of this problem but I promise it's a little different this time. I have used the search function and all of the internet really for years and never came up with much about it. People always ask for focusing and meditation tips for a wondering mind and that is simple enough to find. But what about those who actually have attention issues? Not like "Oh I can't seem to focus today" but "I have ADD/ADHD and I'm not sure I'll ever be able to see results or changes of any kind" issues? I was as of this month diagnosed with ADHD; I've known about my other mental health issues for much longer and thought that might be the problem, though it doesn't seem to be a problem for many others.

This may or may not coincide with what I'm asking about specifically though it doesn't hurt to ask. It happened nearly a decade ago so I'm sorry if it's a little vague. A met up with someone way back when who I'd met through a similar forum after talking to him for a few months. I eventually brought my problems up to him, being unable to see or feel or visualize or focus after trying for so long. Something he brought up which I wish I could elaborate on was that I was "locked" and needed someone to undo it. He never specified what that meant and being 20 I never thought to ask. But trust me on this, what I knew then about that is exactly what I know now: nothing, lol. The only kind of "locked" that ever came to my mind was chakras. If he was BSing me I'd like to know. But it seems like nobody else does either!

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Re: Variation of a common topic

Post by Desecrated »

alnora wrote:I'm sure you've all heard of this problem but I promise it's a little different this time. I have used the search function and all of the internet really for years and never came up with much about it. People always ask for focusing and meditation tips for a wondering mind and that is simple enough to find. But what about those who actually have attention issues? Not like "Oh I can't seem to focus today" but "I have ADD/ADHD and I'm not sure I'll ever be able to see results or changes of any kind" issues? I was as of this month diagnosed with ADHD; I've known about my other mental health issues for much longer and thought that might be the problem, though it doesn't seem to be a problem for many others.

This may or may not coincide with what I'm asking about specifically though it doesn't hurt to ask. It happened nearly a decade ago so I'm sorry if it's a little vague. A met up with someone way back when who I'd met through a similar forum after talking to him for a few months. I eventually brought my problems up to him, being unable to see or feel or visualize or focus after trying for so long. Something he brought up which I wish I could elaborate on was that I was "locked" and needed someone to undo it. He never specified what that meant and being 20 I never thought to ask. But trust me on this, what I knew then about that is exactly what I know now: nothing, lol. The only kind of "locked" that ever came to my mind was chakras. If he was BSing me I'd like to know. But it seems like nobody else does either!

Using any kind of energy work will help your body to relax. When the body is relaxed it's easier for the brain to relax as well.
I've also seen some really good results with hypnosis dealing with anxiety and stress.

It is however important to acknowledge that there is no cure for adhd/add. Because it's not a disease, you can't get it and you can't transmit it. It's simply how your brain was wired from the day you where born.
There is however means to deal with some of the symptoms and alternative medicine can be useful for some individuals.

I can see how ADD can leave to some blockage in your qi and both acupuncture, reiki and even naprapathy could help to get the energy flowing more freely.

alnora
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by alnora »

Using any kind of energy work will help your body to relax. When the body is relaxed it's easier for the brain to relax as well.
I've also seen some really good results with hypnosis dealing with anxiety and stress.

It is however important to acknowledge that there is no cure for adhd/add. Because it's not a disease, you can't get it and you can't transmit it. It's simply how your brain was wired from the day you where born.
There is however means to deal with some of the symptoms and alternative medicine can be useful for some individuals.

I can see how ADD can leave to some blockage in your qi and both acupuncture, reiki and even naprapathy could help to get the energy flowing more freely.
Oh no! I wasn't looking for a cure; trust me, I've lived with these problems long enough to know that there is no cure but only coping. That being said, I was looking for ways to do that, to find methods of energy work that, well, work with the depression or the ADHD instead of against it. That hasn't worked since I was a teenage. So many tips and hints and for nuerotypical people - do this, do that, easy peasey. I wish there were more resources for people like myself

An equally bigger problem is that I'm not able to receive help. I live in the country with no money and no transportation. Which is why that person came to me (well, among other ulterior motives...). As he lived 16 hours away he couldn't stay long understandably. Maybe he could have aided me more if he were closer to me, but considering what he wanted of me it's probably best he didn't. So I'm only left with myself and, as you can see, myself is in no condition to help myself. [lol]

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

I don't meditate, as I can't remain still physically for very long and it never appealed to me for other reasons too.

I do like to sit near a water source,for as long is comfortable, outside in the open air or to walk along a nearby riverside. I find this calming and I also find it helps me unravel a bit, as when I let my mind wander without hindrance or control, it settles on it's own and in it's own time.

There are more things you can try, but I'll need to come back later, as IRL is calling right now.

Is any of the above interesting to you at all?
"He lived his words, spoke his own actions and his story and the story of the world ran parallel."

Sartre speaking of Che Guevara.

alnora
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by alnora »

Nahemah wrote:
Is any of the above interesting to you at all?
I can certainly relate to being unable to sit for long. I can't do very much for long without being like "I have to do something else, stop!" The same goes for my mind, and usually the answer for that is practice, practice, practice. Nah hun, that's not a reality. Like I said above, I'm not looking for a cure, just different methods. To transition a little.

Some people do walk. It's always bored me to tears though. Not owning my own property and not having a car can make being one at nature a little rough. Even when I could be, it wasn't so enjoyable for me. (As a kid I practically lived in the wood. It was my friends in the end that made it enjoyable.) As far as I know, the only thing that calms me is being tired. Until then I'm living in my head, tossing around chairs.

solace_of_shadows
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by solace_of_shadows »

Alnora, I can relate with your post. My current situation is a bit different, but I too have ADD issues and trouble focusing. I'm pretty new with all this as well, so there's so much I don't know yet, so my response and knowledge are limited. But I'd like to mention what I can.

I also don't own my own property, don't have a car or much money, and also live in an area that is best explored with a vehicle. So I really understand these limitations... Frustrating! Yeah, stuff like meditation, It does take practice, and like Nahemah, some things I just won't ever be able to do. For me though, sometimes I can focus on certain things very intently, but I have to prepare myself. For some reason back when I was still apart of organised religion (no offense of course if this is your chosen direction). There was a time during my 'doubting' period as a young girl and teenager that I began trying to have OBEs, what resulted was not quite an OBE but deep meditation. Little did I know then (of course I returned to my feared religion of the time instead of stepping outside the comfort of self-delusion) that doing all that would help me in the future for going beyond just meditation. When I grew up and I began realizing a few years ago that there really is something to all of this occult stuff I was hearing about. I used to be able to get to a point where no matter how exhausted I was, how sleep deprived etc, I could "awaken" my senses and experienced a great deal of spiritual, and physical energy. I really hate to add a downer to this, but it really illustrates the point on focus. Currently I have a health issue that in and of itself causes constant disruptions, so progress has had to wait. This is different from you obviously. But even with this terrible thing, I've learned so much! I am sure you know this, but doing things in small segments is beneficial. It's easy to look at it and think "how can I learn X and Y and Z and..." but I've discovered, as I'm sure you have, that it really helps to just break things down and realize of course it won't all be understood yet.

What kinds of techniques help you so far in focus? I also had tried different kinds of breathing techniques as well to augment the times when I was too "active" to meditate. But I'm not sure if this is recommended or not. I got a lot of energy though very quickly sometimes, and my mind shifted in its levels of consciousness so that focus was in fact easier after that. I'm sure others here would have more beneficial suggestions than myself at this level. I wish you luck, and if I think of other things I'll add them.
"Man is born free, and everywhere he is in chains".

RockDemon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by RockDemon »

Hello Alnora, you should try kundalini yoga. I've got a great book about it ,but since I am typing this on my phone I can't look up for the name. I'll post it as soon as I am able.

alnora
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by alnora »

solace_of_shadows wrote: What kinds of techniques help you so far in focus? I also had tried different kinds of breathing techniques as well to augment the times when I was too "active" to meditate. But I'm not sure if this is recommended or not. I got a lot of energy though very quickly sometimes, and my mind shifted in its levels of consciousness so that focus was in fact easier after that. I'm sure others here would have more beneficial suggestions than myself at this level. I wish you luck, and if I think of other things I'll add them.
None, which is why I asked. I've tried holding an image or a simple word in my head for as long as I can, but its like... someone trying to speak over a crowd. I can hear that one voice but there are sooo many other things happening around it. And it's automatic; like there's no 1-2 minuets where things are going fine and then it starts. It never begins. I try to hang on as long as I can hoping the activity it would subside but I get so exhausted after awhile. As for breathing techniques, my itty lungs can't inhale/exhale/hold as long as these directions insist I should so I'm always trying to augment to something that would work. Which isn't working either. I don't know what's out there other than what's repeated verbatim in books and online.
RockDemon wrote:you should try kundalini yoga
Now what is that exactly? I do yoga and have seen it mentioned a couple times, though there was no context. But yeah, yoga as I do it now doesn't seem to help either, like my therapist saying it would help out with the depression and shifting your attention somewhere else. I do it because it's the only physical activity I get all day, not because it calms me.

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

Another thought, kinda links with Sufism [whirling Dervishes] but this might be interesting for you?
by Pacobeto » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:15 pm

HI there, I have ADD as well. Sitting still and pondering things doesn't work well for us. Have you heard of excitatory gnosis? its a term from chaos magic where a trance state can be obtained by working oneself up into a frenzy of sorts. ive used dancing, push-ups and simple running til exhaustion to great effect. ive noticed that once im exhausted from these activities my mind is very clear, so i get my meditating while i sit and rest afterwards. maybe someone with more experience than myself can elaborate.

I agree with you doing your own thing though. rely on your own intuition. i bought a pack of tarot cards and tossed the book. instead concentrating on my own interpretations of the symbology. you should do something similar.
http://www.occultforum.org/forum/viewto ... 4&p=440945
Inhibitory techniques are generally contemplative or yogic in character and are aimed at reducing sensory stimulus, with the subsuming of consciousness in coma and ultimately death being considered as the extreme end of the scale - Thanatos.

Excitatory techniques, in contrast, depend on hyper-stimulation as a means of modifying consciousness. Extremes of pain or fear or persistence with some energetic physical activity (such as a whirling dervish dance) to the point of exhaustion can be effective...
http://www.philhine.org.uk/writings/flsh_erotg.html

Phil's article focuses on erotognosis, but the quote above shows other forms too.

More of similar ilk:

http://www.magma.ca/~yeti/advanced.htm

Don't worry, alnora, we'll keep trying to find something that helps you get into your flow, if this dosen't interest we'll look at other things.
"He lived his words, spoke his own actions and his story and the story of the world ran parallel."

Sartre speaking of Che Guevara.

RockDemon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by RockDemon »

alnora wrote:
RockDemon wrote:you should try kundalini yoga
Now what is that exactly? I do yoga and have seen it mentioned a couple times, though there was no context. But yeah, yoga as I do it now doesn't seem to help either, like my therapist saying it would help out with the depression and shifting your attention somewhere else. I do it because it's the only physical activity I get all day, not because it calms me.
Look the book Kundalini Tantra by Satyananda Saraswati. Not an expert myself and not sure if this is exactly what you need but you should have a look at it. Because unlike many practices it has a different approach, that is not 'attacking' the mind.
Yoga Is not only the physical activities. It has many branches. The one that is dealing with physical activities is the Hatha Yoga. And that is very good if you have experience with Hatha yoga since it is one of the first steps towards the Kundalini yoga.

alnora
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by alnora »

I've read about that type of technique, used in sigil magick. I have a pretty high tolerance for pain so I don't want to end up bruising myself, lol. Tiring myself out from physical activity? Very simple. And very sweaty. :D I'm a little under the weather right now to give it a good try. After that, thought, I'll give it a go.

I was tempted to take out a book on kundalini at the library today as I volunteer at one and knew it existed at all. Disappointed to see the inside in that it was more of a coffee table book than anything. Large photos, pages with only one short quote on them. Too much pretty BS to sift though. I'll look into it more though. Seems like there are quite a few breathing exercises compared to hatha.

Just a word of warning though. I'll be without internet for a few days. I haven't abandoned this thread or ignored your replies. I'll do what I can in the meantime though.

RockDemon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by RockDemon »

The book that I recommended you is an instructional book that will take you from beginning to the end. Try to find that.

alnora
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by alnora »

Internet problems finally fixed for good! Or until someone changes the password without telling me and pretending the router's broken... ANYway. I was able to find the book. I haven't had much of a chance to dive into it, but I have read through some of it. I'll try some things out and post any notable progress in this thread.

RockDemon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by RockDemon »

I hope you will find it useful for your case. Good luck. Do tell us your progress and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Return to “Beginners Info”