sigil beginner-this is working but how can I do better?

Information and advice for those new to the Occult.

erika
Forum Member
Forum Member

sigil beginner-this is working but how can I do better?

Post by erika »

hi, I'm new to all of this but heard about sigil creations and fascinated w/ it and I believe its working for me. I'm tickled at what's flowed into my reality since I started, hard to say it's 'just a coincidence'. Bringing my credit card debt down from $4,500 to $100 in a matter of a few months (and I'm unemployed!) can hardly be just a coincidence.

So, I scoured the web for some info and I've got a recommended book on order Creating Magickal Entities/D. Cunningham but so far I've been doing my own thing. Was hoping to get some constructive feedback on my process' for now until I can get better educated.

1.) creation: set quiet time aside (no tv/phones), light some candles, incense, add some essential oil (i've got rose oil I heard that's appealing to spirit guidesi). Pencils, markers, paper.

2.) Before I start I express my own words to the Universe, Divine Creator, my spirit guides. I ask for their attention to my desires and their assistance to help me open my eyes to opportunities, wisdom, information and for protection and thank them for their help.

3.) write the desire, nix vowels, arrange constants etc (I've got this part down). I express my desires as 'I am......' ie: "I am free of all credit card debt." or "I am a healthy weight of one hundred ten pounds." I think it's best to express my desire as a current reality versus 'it is my will'. Stating is as I am starts drilling into my subconscious that I already AM what I desire, don't you agree that subconscious beliefs are what drive you to do the things you do?

4.) I've gotten better and better w/ the logo creation part, really effective at taking those letters, arranging them into a symbol thats meaningful and illustrative of desire. Get to the point where you can't barely recognize letters. Color it in w/markers. Usually spend at least 60-90 min on it. Complete a circle around the sigil and then set it aside.

5.) Charging: I'll leave the sigil alone for a certain amount of time, few days or few weeks. Once in while I'll focus on it w/ my thoughts, think of my desires, the sigil and outcomes. Light a candle next to it. For charging I'll express thanks and desires to Universe, Creators, light the edges and let it burn in a bowl, all the while focusing on the burning flame and my desires.

pretty simple. just the basics till I learn more but I'm open to hearing feedback on how I can improve.

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Re: sigil beginner-this is working but how can I do better?

Post by Desecrated »

In terms of technique you have ti down. The only thing you can do now is visualization exorcises and more meditation.
Not when you're doing your sigil work, but in between to build up your magical muscles.

Hadit
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Hadit »

Seems like a good plan, more detailed than most sigil users seems to use. The way to improve is to move into Greater Magic, real magic. It should increase the strength of psychodrama ten fold.
Beloved of Set

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Hadit wrote:Seems like a good plan, more detailed than most sigil users seems to use. The way to improve is to move into Greater Magic, real magic. It should increase the strength of psychodrama ten fold.
Who says sigils isn't real magic?

Hadit
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Hadit »

Desecrated wrote:
Hadit wrote:Seems like a good plan, more detailed than most sigil users seems to use. The way to improve is to move into Greater Magic, real magic. It should increase the strength of psychodrama ten fold.
If we don't separate psychology from magic things get messy.
Beloved of Set

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Hadit wrote:
Desecrated wrote:
If we don't separate psychology from magic things get messy.
Why?
How?

CCoburn
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by CCoburn »

Desecrated wrote: Why?
How?
Maybe the why for analytical reasons, and maybe the how would be to separate
the subjective aspects or certain processes of Magick from objective results.

It seems psychology is a part of Magick though, and Magick is a part of psychology.
Maybe something akin to separating oranges from oranges.

Neither here nor there : CCoburn : The Road Scribe

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Spida wrote:
Maybe the why for analytical reasons, and maybe the how would be to separate
the subjective aspects or certain processes of Magick from objective results.
But it's still the subjective that observes the objective, and if psychology has taught us anything: we're really bad at being objective.

CCoburn
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by CCoburn »

It's true that objectivity can deviate in some people, for reasons of sensitivity or whatever.
They may be able to observe external phenomenon, that others can't. So objectivity is based
largely on a matter of consensus. As far as it's authenticity. But any phenomena that is observed
externally by any person is objective, if only for that person.

Anyways, if scrutiny was anticipated, perhaps words like internal, and external.
Or Withing and Without would be better choices.

Peace

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Spida wrote:
But any phenomena that is observed
externally by any person is objective]
I don't think we can see things externally. I don't think that's how our brain works.

CCoburn
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by CCoburn »

Desecrated wrote: I don't think we can see things externally. I don't think that's how our brain works.
I don't disagree with that.

You could say we are experiencing the Without from Within.
Apparent external manifestations, that interact with and are experienced by internal mechanisms.

You could say there is no Without, it's an illusion, and there is only Within.
But conversely, it would seem absurd for someone to doubt their own existence.
Yet absurd to another to question their concept of reality.

This ends with a question of:

what is real?

To this I would answer:

Energy, Frequency, and Vibration.
Within AND Without.

I apologize for getting off track.

To the OP:

I also use Hebrew words for things that don't have Sigil associations,
or in combination with.

Peace

Hadit
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Hadit »

How?
Because they are different things. Psychology has to be applicable to everyone, it's the overlook of human behavior. Magic has to be entirely internal, you have to commit to it. Just going to therapy will not change you, you have to engage in the magic.
Beloved of Set

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Hadit wrote:
How?
Because they are different things. Psychology has to be applicable to everyone, it's the overlook of human behavior. Magic has to be entirely internal, you have to commit to it. Just going to therapy will not change you, you have to engage in the magic.

I think your definition of psychology is a bit off. Yes there is studies being made of general behavior, but you also have specialized studies in many fields. Those that work with PTSD doesn't necessarily work with children behavior or upbringing. Psychology stretches from neuroscience, to medical studies to 'closed care' and hits almost everything in between. In fact, magical thinking is part of psychology, and you can argue that religion is also slowly becoming part of it too.

Just going to therapy isn't going to change you either. If you have a personality problem and you want it gone, you have to do tons of actual work.

Hadit
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Hadit »

Desecrated wrote:
Hadit wrote:
How?

I think your definition of psychology is a bit off. Yes there is studies being made of general behavior, but you also have specialized studies in many fields. Those that work with PTSD doesn't necessarily work with children behavior or upbringing. Psychology stretches from neuroscience, to medical studies to 'closed care' and hits almost everything in between. In fact, magical thinking is part of psychology, and you can argue that religion is also slowly becoming part of it too.

Just going to therapy isn't going to change you either. If you have a personality problem and you want it gone, you have to do tons of actual work.
Thanks for agreeing with what I said...
Beloved of Set

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Hadit wrote:
I didn't.

CCoburn
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by CCoburn »

Desecrated wrote:
Hadit wrote:
I didn't.
When taken as a whole, yeah, that's what I thought as well.

Hadit
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Hadit »

Desecrated wrote:
Hadit wrote:
I didn't.
Lol... you literally repeated what I said, word for word at one point.

Me: Because they are different things. Psychology has to be applicable to everyone, it's the overlook of human behavior. Magic has to be entirely internal, you have to commit to it. Just going to therapy will not change you, you have to engage in the magic.

You: Yes there is studies being made of general behavior, but you also have specialized studies in many fields. Those that work with PTSD doesn't necessarily work with children behavior or upbringing. Psychology stretches from neuroscience, to medical studies to 'closed care' and hits almost everything in between. In fact, magical thinking is part of psychology, and you can argue that religion is also slowly becoming part of it too.

Just going to therapy isn't going to change you either. If you have a personality problem and you want it gone, you have to do tons of actual work
Beloved of Set

Hadit
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Hadit »

Spida wrote:
Desecrated wrote:
Hadit wrote:
I didn't.
When taken as a whole, yeah, that's what I thought as well.
See my above post, (s)he literally repeated what I said.
Beloved of Set

CCoburn
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by CCoburn »

Spida wrote:
Desecrated wrote: I don't think we can see things externally. I don't think that's how our brain works.
I don't disagree with that.

You could say we are experiencing the Without from Within.
Apparent external manifestations, that interact with and are experienced by internal mechanisms.

You could say there is no Without, it's an illusion, and there is only Within.
But conversely, it would seem absurd for someone to doubt their own existence.
Yet absurd to another to question their concept of reality.

This ends with a question of:

what is real?

To this I would answer:

Energy, Frequency, and Vibration.
Within AND Without.
I guess I was defining "real" as something fundamental, or a sort of Cosmological Constant.
Perhaps persisting for only the duration of the Universe.

I inadvertently did this at a subconscious level.

The definition of "real" would vary from person to person.
While no one definition could be thought of as wrong.

erika
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by erika »

well, I got lost on the whole psychology vs magic is it real string. Like I said, beginner.

But....my 2 cents. The way I see it? it's a way to get a motivation into my subconscious. Of course my desires are always at the forefront of my conscious, they are my desires after all. I want them! I won't get in to it, but I've been reading some stuff about quantum psyhics/mind + body. The concept that you create your own reality. The trick is getting your desire rooted into your subconscious because that's where all the serious driving takes place.

I did a sigil tonight and it's a perfect example. I was upset, crying- worked up over something I deeply desire...but that never comes to fruition no matter how damn hard I try. My conscious has tried every f**ng trick in the book. Instead of shoving kleenex in my face i took all that emotion and energy and drew a sigil. It was a good one too. Turned all the letters into actual symbols, a peace sign, heart, butterfly, colored it in. Symbols that mean something to me and I think are relevant to the desire. I focused all that emotion into that sigil, got up, went outside, looked into the sky and lit it up. Went to go make dinner and watch some Breaking Bad. Done.

Slowly let it sink to the back of my mind. And as time goes on, I'll think of it on occassion but as w/ other sigils, I don't forget I just don't freak out thinking about it ALL the time. That's what I think, before sigils, my conscious thought of nothing BUT the desire. Now, w/ the sigils, I let it sink into the subconscious and free my conscious mind up. And I keep my eyes, ears open for signs and clues that I think the universe is pointing my way. 'read that newsletter' 'post on craigslist' 'email that person' and i just follow my intuition.

Thanks all for the input, so glad to have found this forum, Hope to learn more!

Return to “Beginners Info”