Beginner's Luck

Information and advice for those new to the Occult.

Thaumaturgic Theorist
Forum Member
Forum Member

Beginner's Luck

Post by Thaumaturgic Theorist »

That seems like the best way to describe what's been happening to me lately.

I'm the worst meditator ever, can barely focus, and my rituals seem to end up interrupted. I"m also pretty lcearly impatient, as I only allowed myself the courage to dive into magick in the last two months. I've always had some interest in strange, creepy, occult-like things, was drawn to this as a path by some recent things in my life before having a crisis of ratinonal faith that pushed me away from my occult interests for a time. On top of that, I have no innate magickal connections: no psychic experiences, magic in the family, etc.

That said.

My first sigil, despite the above attention and interruption issues, and using no real "method" (should someone like me even be properly theorizing about how this stuff works or rejecting existing paradigms?) worked better than I could have imagined. I've tried a few minor spells and such and seem to prefer creating my own though (with varying success), again, despite being a severe novice.

I've tried to ask when a person should start creating their own rituals/spells, actually practicing, etc. Ive been reading on thoughtforms lately with the hopes of creating one to help me with something some time in the future, but fear it's too advanced.

In short, what's a good timeline for practicing magick?

(Sorry for the rambly first post, hopefully I'll become more coherent later.)

LoneWolf
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Beginner's Luck

Post by LoneWolf »

Do you ask permision or whether it is a good moment for you to breathe?

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Thaumaturgic Theorist wrote: I'm the worst meditator ever, can barely focus, and my rituals seem to end up interrupted. I"m also pretty lcearly impatient, as I only allowed myself the courage to dive into magick in the last two months. I've always had some interest in strange, creepy, occult-like things, was drawn to this as a path by some recent things in my life before having a crisis of ratinonal faith that pushed me away from my occult interests for a time. On top of that, I have no innate magickal connections: no psychic experiences, magic in the family, etc.
Magic isn't for everybody.

My first sigil, despite the above attention and interruption issues, and using no real "method" (should someone like me even be properly theorizing about how this stuff works or rejecting existing paradigms?) worked better than I could have imagined. I've tried a few minor spells and such and seem to prefer creating my own though (with varying success), again, despite being a severe novice.
Your mind, your magic.
I've tried to ask when a person should start creating their own rituals/spells, actually practicing, etc.
Immediately.
If your not doing practical work, you'll never advance.
Ive been reading on thoughtforms lately with the hopes of creating one to help me with something some time in the future, but fear it's too advanced.
Thoughtforms are a little bit tricky because you need to know the theory behind it to be sure enough to attempt it, but you also need the concentration to actually perform the whole process.
I would give it at least 6 months of working with sigils before attempting that.
In short, what's a good timeline for practicing magick?
2 Years Beginner level.
5 years intermediate level.
A lifetime of advance training.

fraterai
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by fraterai »

IAO is a magical formula that describes initiation. First its easy, then its hard, and if you persist, you will master it.
He also refers to it as the formula of yoga, as illustrated by the initial pleasure of this practice, followed by the inevitable agony, and finally resulting in a new, superior state, perhaps similar to, yet fundamentally different from the initial state.
Just keep practicing. Its hard
Only right reflection and right meditation can free you - Ananda Metteya

Return to “Beginners Info”