What facilities are necessary for magic?

Information and advice for those new to the Occult.

Fulcaneli1945
Forum Member
Forum Member

What facilities are necessary for magic?

Post by Fulcaneli1945 »

What facilities are necessary for magic? Is it absolutley necessary to have a dedicated room or temple?

We live in a fairly ordinary house. There is a spare bedroom where I can meditate or burn incense, there is a table but any sort of permanent altar or magic circle is not possible. Summer time, outdoor rituals might be a possibility but only with travel, again no permanent facility.

How do others manage?

Shinichi
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: What facilities are necessary for magic?

Post by Shinichi »

It depends on what kind of stuff you are practicing. I live in an apartment with only one room, so my "holy place" is a shelf on the wall. I know several people who have a dedicated holy room, complete with alter and prayer mats. If you're going to be doing more intensive Ceremonial Magic like the Golden Dawn and such, then a dedicated ritual room is very useful for a long list of reasons. But if you're not going to be doing that, just make something that is suitable to your personal needs.

The most important part about a sacred space is that it is sacred to you. If you feel a shelf on the wall or a table in the living room is not sufficient for your needs or is not a holy enough offering for your spirits and deities, then do whatever you feel is. It's that simple.

~:Shin:~

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

In the Picatrix, the author recommends that one set up a separate house for magical practice.

Nowadays most people only have a corner of the room to store their tools.

CCoburn
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by CCoburn »

I use the two adjoining rooms in my basement for Rituals. It's a fair amount
of space as I do like to pace around a lot.

I get quite loud during Rituals, as does the music. So an apartment would be out
of the question for me.

I do consider myself fortunate with what I have, and am able to do.

Anyways, facilities are important, but the most important aspect of any Ritual will
always be the Magickian!

Cheers
:)

Neither here nor there : CCoburn : The Road Scribe

Return to “Beginners Info”