Animal Afterlife

Information and advice for those new to the Occult.

LaxCalvinist
Forum Member
Forum Member

Animal Afterlife

Post by LaxCalvinist »

It is going to be the first anniversary of my beagle's death in 5 days. Among the reasons why I started searching into different religions is because I was unsatisfied with Roman Catholicism's answers to the stae of animals after death and without putting too much info, I went into a subconscious depression that gradually led me to a big breakdown that landed me into an asylum for a week followed a month's stay at a group home.

I still am wondering what happened to my dog after cremation. Did he literally ease to exist forever as according to traditional Catholic doctrines? Is he reincarnated into another creature or even human being as Hinduism and Buddhism teaches? Is he in a afterlife (hopefully a heaven) which Mormonism and Islam claims where animals will depart to at death? Or is he a ghost in my house sleeping in his ash tray most of the time?

If animals continue existing after death, what methods can I use to communicate with his soul? I tried a ouija board and crystal ball but nothing happened.

LoneWolf
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Animal Afterlife

Post by LoneWolf »

It is cool to believe at will and use belief as a tool in order to achieve what you desire.
It is however dangerous to let your emotional pain rest on a sandcastle made of airy ideas and made for the sole purpose of not feeling bad. The wind will blow, and you will fall flat on your face.

In the middle of both positions you will stand and not be blown away nor experience much pain.

Wherever the dog went you won't know. It is not where it was before. Let it go and accept it.

Wish you well

Shinichi
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Shinichi »

The Mysteries of Beast, Blood, and Bone, by Sarah Lawless.

Besides the words that Sarah offers, and speaking as someone who works with animal spirits himself, I am for my own purposes quite certain that the "animal afterlife" is no different than the "human afterlife." However, the Otherworld is really quite large, and there are many Realms and such that can be inhabited. Death is its own Mystery for a reason, and the Journey through the Underworld is far more complex than any one religion can adequately describe.

Be careful, though. Exploring Death could be an important initiation for you, but it could also lead to your total ruin if you are not adequately prepared. It would be most wise and prudent to focus on your own stability and development in the foreseeable future, so that you are better prepared to confront the powerful things you will face while exploring the Mysteries of Death and the Underworld.

If you want a basic means of communication, you can always set up a shrine or alter, as is done in most Ancestor Worship traditions (Sorcerers Secrets by Jason Miller has good instructions for such, as I recall). Making offerings and prayers will likely be a one-sided means of communication until you develop the sight, learn scrying or something similar, but he may come to you in dreams every now and then, or serve as one of your spiritual guardians while you train and grow in the mean time. I would have kept the skull to have a strong link for such Work, but a picture or some similar representation of him will work just fine too.

~:Shin:~

LaxCalvinist
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by LaxCalvinist »

Shinichi wrote:The Mysteries of Beast, Blood, and Bone, by Sarah Lawless.

Besides the words that Sarah offers, and speaking as someone who works with animal spirits himself, I am for my own purposes quite certain that the "animal afterlife" is no different than the "human afterlife." However, the Otherworld is really quite large, and there are many Realms and such that can be inhabited. Death is its own Mystery for a reason, and the Journey through the Underworld is far more complex than any one religion can adequately describe.

Be careful, though. Exploring Death could be an important initiation for you, but it could also lead to your total ruin if you are not adequately prepared. It would be most wise and prudent to focus on your own stability and development in the foreseeable future, so that you are better prepared to confront the powerful things you will face while exploring the Mysteries of Death and the Underworld.

If you want a basic means of communication, you can always set up a shrine or alter, as is done in most Ancestor Worship traditions (Sorcerers Secrets by Jason Miller has good instructions for such, as I recall). Making offerings and prayers will likely be a one-sided means of communication until you develop the sight, learn scrying or something similar, but he may come to you in dreams every now and then, or serve as one of your spiritual guardians while you train and grow in the mean time. I would have kept the skull to have a strong link for such Work, but a picture or some similar representation of him will work just fine too.

To be specific, my breakdown occurred back in October. How long would you suggest I wait before I try your recommended methods? Also is this ancestry worship? While I no longer attend church, there's still the possibility I might return as I haven't abandoned my birth faith (see my introduction thread). So would this be against traditional Christianity?

Shinichi
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Shinichi »

LaxCalvinist wrote:To be specific, my breakdown occurred back in October. How long would you suggest I wait before I try your recommended methods?
Until you and your therapist are absolutely certain that you are stable and healthy. You may also start with things like my Fundamental Development paper, or Franz Bardon's Initiation Into Hermetics. With my paper, you will learn how to calm the mind and maintain that calm through Centering, as well as how to acquire a strong psycho-emotional fortitude by Grounding. In between, you learn how to improve your Awareness, so that you become more conscious of the things that affect you internally and externally. Bardon will teach you something similar, but his methods are a lot more thorough, and lead up to much higher things. My entire paper could even be called just another version of his Step One, but that's mostly because these things are so basic and almost universally important.

In general, if you want a complete system of Magick that will not in any way interfere with your birth faith and allow you to go far, Bardon's work is excellent.
LaxCalvinist wrote:Also is this ancestry worship? While I no longer attend church, there's still the possibility I might return as I haven't abandoned my birth faith (see my introduction thread).
It is not ancestor worship because you are not worshiping your ancestors, but it is similar because you are worshiping your deceased pet. Worship, however, is not necessarily idolization. I worship Odin, but I'll still tell him he's being an asshole when he's being an asshole, and he wouldn't have me any other way. [grin]
LaxCalvinist wrote:So would this be against traditional Christianity?
Yes. These things were even specifically illegal, and you could have been burned at the stake at one point for even having this conversation. This is Witchcraft. Sorcery. What you mainly want to do, communicate with your deceased pet, is even Necromancy. That is one of the things specifically forbidden in the Old Testament.

If you can't reconcile all of that and go forward with a clear conscience, then do as LoneWolf suggested and just let it go. There are plenty of systems of Magick that won't interfere with your faith (like what Bardon teaches), and there are even several systems of Magick and Mysticism that are specifically Christian (the Keys of Solomon, for example, or the Book of Abramelin). You don't have to walk a heretical path.

Sypheara
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Sypheara »

Working with it can be a good means of overcoming your grief.

Again, me and Shinichi agree when it comes to animal and human soul path. I think there is a slight difference, but that is more that every soul is individual, and treated as such.

Im not going to suggest you do the following, a simple ancestral altar will help can help with emotional pain, and keep you connected to the animals soul. Time matters little to the dead. Sarah anne lawless is an exceptional store of knowledge in this regard and I suggest you look at all of her work when you get the time to see if you see value in it. That said, I still want to describe what I did.

When my pets died, or were dying, I helped them pass with a small passing over ritual, whilst ensuring they were kept as comfortable as possible whilst they passed. On the night they died, I did a small passing over ritual. The ritual differed for each animal.. depending on what came through. One was airy, sent skyward, other was sent through earth to remove pain before following that path.

The body of each animal was placed into a specially prepared vessel. This was basically an upturned flower pot with airholes, painted and decorated with appropriate sigils and empowered within the circle to Gods of my tradition that deal with death and the dead, primarily Belial. The body was left to rot for a significant amount of time above ground covered by it..

After several months the body was exhumed, and the bones washed with biological washing powder to break down any remaining tissue. This required a month or so soak, and some manual detachment of remaining connective tissue.

I now have the complete skeleton.. I am awaiting a good time to redden the bones with red ochre, iron oxide, before interring the bodies into receptacles to go on my own ancestral altar. As such, I will have a very intimate connection, and if they desire, a way for them to come back and participate in workings as familiars.

I intend to do this for as long as it remains practical... but method may change in future. Its been a very useful process so far, both ensuring my own mental well being and spiritual state, and ensuring that my animals are correctly crossed and elevated for the years of great service they gave in the flesh, all the companionship etc.

For me this process has given me a very high appreciation for the death process, and its actual intense value to our world that can only be described by working with it.

*Update*

Seems this is flowing faster than I can type. For me, it saddens me that any faith would teach that you cannot have meaningful relationships with animals, and rates the natural world on such a low level as traditional Christianity. For me this is like cutting off a limb...

Im thankful for the preservation of the ancient texts by the monks in the dark ages, and the survival of many magickal practices preserved in the western tradition that was allowed due to that, but its approaches to many aspects of life just don't correlate with the reality we experience I feel.

I cannot tell you what to do but maybe this is a test in itself on multiple levels.. if you can, maybe prayer will help. Ask the divine, go from there.

I wish you the best of luck and a swift recovery.
'Flores noctis sumus atque alas pandimus, In profundis tenebrarum.'
Feel free to visit my blog at http://www.theluciferianrevolution.com
(admin approved link)

CCoburn
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by CCoburn »

Okay, without reading all these posts, i'm gonna give you something else that is unique to this thread. Why? Because I can.

That creature that you loved, as the ones that I have loved, were spawned by a process. A process that is Infinite, meaning that all things are contained in it. Like a hard(static) copy of everything if you will. This is where the true essence of your dog exists for all of eternity. It's where it came from, and where it shall persist. Your Canine companion was merely a dissolvable instance of an eternal copy. In the Kybalion it is accurately referred to as the ALL. I guess that works for me.

So what i'm getting at here is, ultimately, the dog never did cease to exist. not in the larger sense of the picture. And what i'm REALLY getting at, is, if you loved your dog so much then learn to love the process that gave it to you. It's still very much alive there, and always will be.

Cheers
:)

Neither here nor there : CCoburn : The Road Scribe

LaxCalvinist
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by LaxCalvinist »

Sypheara wrote:I now have the complete skeleton.. I am awaiting a good time to redden the bones with red ochre, iron oxide, before interring the bodies into receptacles to go on my own ancestral altar. As such, I will have a very intimate connection, and if they desire, a way for them to come back and participate in workings as familiars.

Unfortunately he's already cremated. However his ashes are kept in a tin can in a shelf. Can I still apply the ritual you described?
Sypheara wrote:For me, it saddens me that any faith would teach that you cannot have meaningful relationships with animals, and rates the natural world on such a low level as traditional Christianity. For me this is like cutting off a limb...
This is one of the major reasons why I got so upset with Catholicism I left and decided to go search elsewhere for God. Ifa God the Father of the Roman tradition is all-so-powerful and just, why did he deny giving animals as precious as dogs something as vital as a soul? I simply cannot reconcile this part of orthodox Catholic thought.
Spida wrote:So what i'm getting at here is, ultimately, the dog never did cease to exist. not in the larger sense of the picture. And what i'm REALLY getting at, is, if you loved your dog so much then learn to love the process that gave it to you. It's still very much alive there, and always will be.
I can already say I'm sort of going into this process (please tell me if I'm getting this right). I view my dog's death as his personal sacrifice because he woke me up to finally understand the harsh realities of this world and of the precious value of time, loved ones, and the necessity of accomplishing achievements. Time is so short and other people in my life are already either going far away, getting ill and old, or in the dying stage. I owe my dog so much for the new FUTURE of hope, ambitions, vigor, discipline and preservation and I won't let his sacrifice go to in vain.

Sypheara
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Sypheara »

If you wish, you can say a prayer over the cremated remains, decorate the tin, and put it pride and place somewhere. Doing the exact same process as me wouldn't be possible, but if you follow those basic three phases (elevation/blessing, respectfully taking care of remains, placing them in dignified and active place of your home) you will be able to get close.

Suggesting anything more appropriate would only be correct approach from someone following similar tradition. Hope all is well.
'Flores noctis sumus atque alas pandimus, In profundis tenebrarum.'
Feel free to visit my blog at http://www.theluciferianrevolution.com
(admin approved link)

Return to “Beginners Info”