What are the Jewish and Islamic counterparts to grimoires?

Information and advice for those new to the Occult.

LaxCalvinist
Forum Member
Forum Member

What are the Jewish and Islamic counterparts to grimoires?

Post by LaxCalvinist »

I know the Kabbalah written works can count as Jewish sorcery and Sufism uses plenty of rituals for invokation, but I am interested if there is a Jewish and Muslim equivalent of the grimoires used in medieval Christian Europe. What would they call such items in their respective religions and does anyone have a link I can access?

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Re: What are the Jewish and Islamic counterparts to grimoire

Post by Desecrated »

LaxCalvinist wrote:I know the Kabbalah written works can count as Jewish sorcery and Sufism uses plenty of rituals for invokation, but I am interested if there is a Jewish and Muslim equivalent of the grimoires used in medieval Christian Europe. What would they call such items in their respective religions and does anyone have a link I can access?
Western grimoires are usually the combination of jewish, arabic and christian magic. Solomonic magic is jewish, The Book of Abramelin is jewish, the picatrix is almost entirely Arabic.

But you also have Shams al-Maarif by al-Buni, Red Magic and The Forbidden Grimoire of Harut and Marut by "Egyptian Sorcerer Al-Toukhi", The Grand Key of Solomon the King, and more recently, Berhatiyah. Even Shadrach's other works, such as the innocuously titled Magic That Works draws heavily on Arabic sources which he cites.

More jewish books are Rabbi Moses Zacuto - Shorshei ha-Shemot. Sha’arei Qedushah (Gates of Holiness), Ma’amar Hitbodedut (On Solitary Meditation), Mif’alot Elokim, Merkavah Shlemah, Sod Yesharim, Brit Menuhah, Sefer Ha Yashar, Sepher Sapphires, Sepher Ha-Razim. The Encyclopedia of Jewish Myth, Magic and Mysticism.

Return to “Beginners Info”