When am I not a beginner?

Information and advice for those new to the Occult.

blindwake
Forum Member
Forum Member

When am I not a beginner?

Post by blindwake »

Just curious as to what this site's definition of "beginner" is.

Personally, I would always classify myself as a beginner, because there is always more to learn.

To be a master is to delude oneself into thinking that they know all they can know.

When am I too experienced to use the "Beginners Info" section to ask for help?
When everything makes too much sense, that's when you know you've got none. It's this confidence in reality that makes me uneasy.

Micr0cosM
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: When am I not a beginner?

Post by Micr0cosM »

Maybe its when you answer more beginners questions than you need to ask?
“Science is a way of talking about the universe in words that bind it to a common reality.
Magic is a method of talking to the universe in words that it cannot ignore.
The two are rarely compatible.”
― Neil Gaiman, The Books of Magic

blindwake
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by blindwake »

That would be fair.

Except I rarely see a reason to answer beginner questions. Most people wouldn't want my help anyway. For example, most problems people ask about on this forum are rooted in religion, and the most natural thing for me to do then, is to explain why their religion is wrong. People want solutions that already work within their worldview, and they usually don't want to change, when usually the problem is the worldview itself. It's pointless to fix a smaller error without fixing its root; the error will just come back up again later.

It's not that the beliefs of religions are wrong in themselves, it's that religions are dogmatic. There is an assumption that what is known is correct, when it might not be. You can't help people that don't want to be helped.

I guess it would work if you changed your wording from "when I answer" to "when I could answer".
When everything makes too much sense, that's when you know you've got none. It's this confidence in reality that makes me uneasy.

chowderpope
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by chowderpope »

I think you are not a beginner once you put a certain number of hours into something. Beginners are obvious. They ask things like "Can I cast a spell to make boys like me?" or "Can I cast a spell to make money I need rent kthx" Beginners either have the stuff in them to keep going, or they quit easily.
Awake from sleep! Remember you're the son of a Great King, see to whom you're enslaved!

Rin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Rin »

I would say the "beginners info" section serves two purposes - one is for people to post subjects when they aren't familiar enough with the occult to know which sub-section of the forum it should otherwise belong in (eg. someone who doesn't grasp the distinctions between, say, Ceremonial Magic and Witchcraft).

The second is to post information to make it available to people who are coming to the website and entering the world of the occult and metaphysical for the first time.

Following on from that - I'd say you're no longer a beginner, for the purposes of this discussion, when you're capable of judging whether a post would be better placed in another section of the forum instead.
"The path of the Sage is called
'The Path of Illumination'
he who gives himself to this path
is like a block of wood
that gives itself to the chisel-
cut by cut it is honed to perfection"

- DDJ, Verse 27

"It's still magic even if you know how it's done." - Terry Pratchett

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

If you have a beginner question it should be in the "Beginner info"

What is a car? "Beginner info"
What is a carburetor "Beginner info"
How do I fix one "Not beginner info"

What is martial art "Beginner info"
Who was Bruce lee "Beginner info"
Deep analyze of the 1 dan kata , Not beginners info.

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

As Rin said, pretty much, dive in, make mistakes, enjoy the ride. Be your own master, beginner, magus..., whatever, they are only labels applied by others,in a power game of master and servant. Sadly, the way of the western world for far too long. Let it go. be the best you that can be. It is more than enough. [greensmile]
"He lived his words, spoke his own actions and his story and the story of the world ran parallel."

Sartre speaking of Che Guevara.

Return to “Beginners Info”