Masochism - Energy Body Damage

Information and advice for those new to the Occult.

blindwake
Forum Member
Forum Member

Masochism - Energy Body Damage

Post by blindwake »

Assuming the existence of energy bodies, would emotional masochism damage them? Specifically, I'm talking about forcibly activating my fight/flight stress response in order to acquire something similar to hysteria.

Current noticed symptoms include giggling, tears, shaking, irrational smiling, an electric feeling throughout the body (like a weak spasm), and a very mild headache (afterwards). If I keep doing this, will I hurt myself?

I'm studying the sensations of pleasure and pain, and trying to learn how to enjoy both, in order to acquire complete self control.

Strangely, the stress reflex (spasm) feels almost the same as the tingle that's supposed to occur during human contact (when there is chemistry). This makes it viable as an alternative to pleasure (it is easily enjoyed).

However, it is my understanding that stress can increase the likelihood of getting sick, etc., and I don't want to compromise my vessel.
When everything makes too much sense, that's when you know you've got none. It's this confidence in reality that makes me uneasy.

chowderpope
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Masochism - Energy Body Damage

Post by chowderpope »

I just wouldn't do too much of that if I were you. Your body needs balance to be healthy, not extremes. There are systems in the body reserved for those situations that require fight/flight and you don't want to fatigue those systems. As far as how much is safe without going overboard, I'm not sure. I would give it a few days in between, to give yourself time to recover.
Awake from sleep! Remember you're the son of a Great King, see to whom you're enslaved!

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

blindwake wrote:
However, it is my understanding that stress can increase the likelihood of getting sick, etc., and I don't want to compromise my vessel.
"Chronic stress puts your health at risk

Chronic stress can wreak havoc on your mind and body. Take steps to control your stress.
By Mayo Clinic Staff

Your body is hard-wired to react to stress in ways meant to protect you against threats from predators and other aggressors. Such threats are rare today, but that doesn't mean that life is free of stress.

On the contrary, you undoubtedly face multiple demands each day, such as shouldering a huge workload, making ends meet and taking care of your family. Your body treats these so-called minor hassles as threats. As a result you may feel as if you're constantly under assault. But you can fight back. You don't have to let stress control your life.
Understanding the natural stress response

When you encounter a perceived threat — a large dog barks at you during your morning walk, for instance — your hypothalamus, a tiny region at the base of your brain, sets off an alarm system in your body. Through a combination of nerve and hormonal signals, this system prompts your adrenal glands, located atop your kidneys, to release a surge of hormones, including adrenaline and cortisol.

Adrenaline increases your heart rate, elevates your blood pressure and boosts energy supplies. Cortisol, the primary stress hormone, increases sugars (glucose) in the bloodstream, enhances your brain's use of glucose and increases the availability of substances that repair tissues.

Cortisol also curbs functions that would be nonessential or detrimental in a fight-or-flight situation. It alters immune system responses and suppresses the digestive system, the reproductive system and growth processes. This complex natural alarm system also communicates with regions of your brain that control mood, motivation and fear.
When the natural stress response goes haywire

The body's stress-response system is usually self-limiting. Once a perceived threat has passed, hormone levels return to normal. As adrenaline and cortisol levels drop, your heart rate and blood pressure return to baseline levels, and other systems resume their regular activities.

But when stressors are always present and you constantly feel under attack, that fight-or-flight reaction stays turned on.

The long-term activation of the stress-response system — and the subsequent overexposure to cortisol and other stress hormones — can disrupt almost all your body's processes. This puts you at increased risk of numerous health problems, including:

Anxiety
Depression
Digestive problems
Headaches
Heart disease
Sleep problems
Weight gain
Memory and concentration impairment

That's why it's so important to learn healthy ways to cope with the stressors in your life. "

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifes ... t-20046037

chowderpope
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by chowderpope »

Perhaps instead of trying to stress the body, you could focus on learning how to relax your body and mind. Now there's an idea, and it will probably prove more useful in your magical efforts too
Awake from sleep! Remember you're the son of a Great King, see to whom you're enslaved!

blindwake
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by blindwake »

desecrated,

So, in summary, don't make my body stressed out if I want to keep it functional. [thumbup]

chowderpope, that's the end goal. However, in order to be able to maintain my calm all the time, I have to be able to suppress impulses that come up. You learn how to overcome things by going through them. So, if I want to ensure that in some future hyper stressful event, I will be able to keep my cool, I can practice making myself stressed out, and then calming myself down. It's like how the fastest way to learn is to make mistakes. I'm trying to make as many mistakes as possible (without doing permanent damage.)

Part of this is learning how to reprogram myself. If you stab a pencil into your hand, you get a stinging feeling. If you kiss someone, you get another feeling. What I've come to realize is that there's nothing intrinsically bad about the feeling of pain, it's just that I'm biased against it (it's mental). So if my programming currently treats pain as bad, I want to see if I can change my programming to treat it as good. If I can change pain into pleasure, then I should be able to overcome any of my emotions. If I can enjoy pain, then for example, I have no reason to accept that I don't want to do dishes, because I could just decide that I'll enjoy doing them, arbitrarily. I'm no longer slave to impulse. I create the impulse.

Of course though, some things can't be tempered, they just break. So it's important to know what is reasonable to train. You wouldn't train yourself to be resistant to stab wounds now would you?
I think it's safe to say that I could only ever resist pain to the point where my body decides to physically collapse. It's the same reason you can't mentally stop your leg from buckling in some conditions. There's a physical aspect as well as a mental aspect.
When everything makes too much sense, that's when you know you've got none. It's this confidence in reality that makes me uneasy.

Cerber

Post by Cerber »

Depends what are you trying to achieve. A steel blade that wasn't stressed by fire and water (oil) is not very good at keeping it's edge. But I guess being soft has its uses as well.

blindwake
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by blindwake »

That's very true. Ideally, I'd like to be both the tempered blade as well as the dull blade. To be able to switch at will.
But it is probable that'll I'll have to pick a specialization.

Rin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Rin »

Assuming the existence of energy bodies, would emotional masochism damage them? Specifically, I'm talking about forcibly activating my fight/flight stress response in order to acquire something similar to hysteria.
Short answer: yes. What you're doing is a horrible idea, stop doing it.

If you're interested in enhancing your control over the capabilities of your body, investigate one of the many, many traditions which have been developing techniques to do so for thousands of years. Trying to reinvent the wheel usually just results in a shitty wheel, and occasionally the crashing of your cart.
"The path of the Sage is called
'The Path of Illumination'
he who gives himself to this path
is like a block of wood
that gives itself to the chisel-
cut by cut it is honed to perfection"

- DDJ, Verse 27

"It's still magic even if you know how it's done." - Terry Pratchett

Return to “Beginners Info”