Genuine and active non-wicca Witchcraft groups

Information and advice for those new to the Occult.

Serpentpath
Forum Member
Forum Member

Genuine and active non-wicca Witchcraft groups

Post by Serpentpath »

Can anyone please give me a list of witchcraft groups and covens which are genuine and currently accepting members? I want non-wicca recommendations and would be good if the group has a presence in North America especially Canada. Please suggest groups which accept males. I want to join a group that is active, authentic, and has a reputation that is [apart from the usual controversy] beyond reproach.

chowderpope
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Genuine and active non-wicca Witchcraft groups

Post by chowderpope »

I think your best bet is to search online for local groups, wherever you live. For example I live in a city but I only know of an OTO lodge, one Wiccan group, and a Rosicrucian group. With covens, I think they're usually pretty small and from what I've seen in America, usually Wiccan. If you're looking for a renowned, widespread group, you will have better luck with Rosicrucians, Martinists, Golden Dawn, OTO, etc. Here's a list I found: http://www.hermetics.org/links/orders_links.html

Obviously it's not exhaustive, but it's a start.
Awake from sleep! Remember you're the son of a Great King, see to whom you're enslaved!

Shawn Blackwolf
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Shawn Blackwolf »

Sometimes you just have to do your own homework...

Sorry I don't know offhand , but Witchvox is a good starting point...

http://www.witchvox.com/xgroups.html

A large Pagan festival , such as Pantheacon , ( west coast U.S. ) is always
a great place to connect with many trads and members personally , as
well Renn Faires , Faerieworlds and other gatherings , Oregon Country
Fair...

You might want to look into Clan of Tubal Cain , 1734 Tradition , Feri Tradition
with it's many offshoots...those are a few...

Good fortune !

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

chowderpope wrote: If you're looking for a renowned, widespread group, you will have better luck with Rosicrucians, Martinists, Golden Dawn, OTO, etc. Here's a list I found: http://www.hermetics.org/links/orders_links.html
None of those are witchcraft.
Shawn Blackwolf wrote:
You might want to look into Clan of Tubal Cain , 1734 Tradition , Feri Tradition
All of those are wicca.

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Serpentpath wrote:Can anyone please give me a list of witchcraft groups and covens which are genuine and currently accepting members? I want non-wicca recommendations and would be good if the group has a presence in North America especially Canada. Please suggest groups which accept males. I want to join a group that is active, authentic, and has a reputation that is [apart from the usual controversy] beyond reproach.
There is none.
There is going to be another 20-30 years before we see anything like that. Witchcraft is finally starting to break away from wicca and even those of us that are interested in this are infected with wicca ideas.
Stay a solitary witch and keep yourself updated with the latest research.

violetstar
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by violetstar »

Desecrated wrote:
chowderpope wrote: If you're looking for a renowned, widespread group, you will have better luck with Rosicrucians, Martinists, Golden Dawn, OTO, etc. Here's a list I found: http://www.hermetics.org/links/orders_links.html
Shawn Blackwolf wrote:
All of those are wicca.
Shani Oates who is leader of Clan Tubal-Cain states it a Mystery Tradition rather than witchcraft.
Woe if I reveal,Woe if I do not reveal...

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

violetstar wrote:
Desecrated wrote:
Shawn Blackwolf wrote:
All of those are wicca.
Shani Oates who is leader of Clan Tubal-Cain states it a Mystery Tradition rather than witchcraft.
I don't think non of those claim to be wiccan themselves. But it is the label I choose to put on them since they have more to do with wiccan than real witchcraft, and like wiccan they are all founded around the 60's.

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Ronald Hutton - The triumph of the moon page 311 to 316 talks about Cochran, and Valiante describes their rituals as Gardnerian.

violetstar
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by violetstar »

I don't think non of those claim to be wiccan themselves. But it is the label I choose to put on them since they have more to do with wiccan than real witchcraft, and like wiccan they are all founded around the 60's"

Thats exactly right.Stuart Inman is one of the holders of official 1734 material which has disputed claims to its authenticity.1734 itself was derived from Robert Cochranes interpretation of a mark on an old plate which in fact read 1724.Later Cochrane claimed it to be a mis-print in a book by Justine Glass and/or that he had purposely misled her to protect the numbers secret.Far from being a hereditary Craft item we now know that it was a gift from Doreen Valiente who pronounced Cochrane a fake.

Both Inman and Oates claimed their Traditions to be 'Mystery' and not 'Witchcraft' after Cochranes claims of his hereditary claim to the Craft were challenged by academics such as Ethan Doyle-White and independent researcher Samantha James.I will also argue that Cochrane was not a witch but had obtained information from other sources,specifically Ruth Wynn Owen and in light of his derogatory term 'Gardnerian',his system was devised as a challenge to Gardners Wicca as much as to bolster his own ego.

violetstar
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by violetstar »

Desecrated wrote:Ronald Hutton - The triumph of the moon page 311 to 316 talks about Cochran, and Valiante describes their rituals as Gardnerian.
Hah! That got it out of the bookcase! [happyface]

chowderpope
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by chowderpope »

Desecrated wrote:
Obviously I know that. Was it really necessary to point that out? Do you think anyone is going to mistake Martinism for witchcraft? This is just nit picking for the purpose of posturing yourself as the smart guy.

He asked for a big, widespread group. I haven't heard of any witchcraft covens that big, thus I offered big and widespread groups of non-witches. I thought that was apparent and didn't realize I needed to spell it out.
Awake from sleep! Remember you're the son of a Great King, see to whom you're enslaved!

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

chowderpope wrote:
Obviously I know that. Was it really necessary to point that out? Do you think anyone is going to mistake Martinism for witchcraft? This is just nit picking for the purpose of posturing yourself as the smart guy.
I have never in my entire life underestimated somebodies stupidity. I'm always going to assume the worst in other people.
I'm very glad that you know the difference between martinism and witchcraft, but in case somebody didn't. I just wanted to clear it up.

chowderpope
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by chowderpope »

Desecrated wrote:
chowderpope wrote:
I have never in my entire life underestimated somebodies stupidity. I'm always going to assume the worst in other people.
I'm very glad that you know the difference between martinism and witchcraft, but in case somebody didn't. I just wanted to clear it up.
I get it, no worries. I'm constantly surprised by how stupid people can be, maybe I should stop giving them so much credit.

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

chowderpope wrote:
I get it, no worries. I'm constantly surprised by how stupid people can be, maybe I should stop giving them so much credit.
As somebody who is stupid on most day and Slow on a good day. Please don't loose faith in us. The fact that other people gives us a chance to make constant mistakes is what drives us forward in this otherwise endless wandering state of confusion.

Return to “Beginners Info”