about gods

Information and advice for those new to the Occult.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

about gods

Post by Occult Forum Archive »

Original post: Ambrose

I see people talking all over the forum about gods.
I thought that they had a symbolic role, a focus for the will but...do you really believe in them as real persons?
Then what are they?
I really don't understand and I feel uneasy using gods' names in a ritual.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

about gods

Original post: moonburn33

The god forms aren't real, but the entities behind them are. Think of them as characters in a movie. It gets even more complicated, though. The godforms can take on abstract concepts such as Truth and Justice (as in the case of Ma'at). But there's still an entity behind it.

What are they? They're just old spirits who've achieved an unhindered connection with the Absolute.

All this from my perspective, of course.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

about gods

Interesting opinion.
I would like to hear some others.
So they are persons that have reached a certain point during their spiritual evolution?
Then please define "spiritual evolution" as it means different things for different people.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

about gods

Original post: moonburn33

I think that I pretty much explained what I meant. And I don't believe in "spirituality", per se. Or evolution. They're kind of empty concepts to me.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

about gods

Original post: EtuMalku

The Gods are elementals & principles of our Universe manifest into the Earthly plane through us and for us.
Ma'at is an excellent example. The principle of Order, elementally known as vibration, which as Cymatics shows us is the make up of everything in our Universe and the cause for chaos to become uniform.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

about gods

Original post: anhureru

My point of view tends to upset other reconstructionists, particularly Asatruars, but my views are pretty typical for Kemetic reconstructionists. It's also pretty in line with Hermetic Kabbalahism, to the best of my knowledge.

I believe that gods, and in the case of Kabbalah, god names, are simply parts of Divinity identities by man because the Divinity is too vast for humans to approach as a whole. Having gods also allows us to think of Divinity in terms of dualities, for example, Order versus Chaos, or Earth versus Sky, Fertility versus Death, and so on since most of us can't conceive a being that surpasses duality.

That said, I don't believe the gods are 'merely' manifestations of a greater whole, and should be treated with the same respect as if they were and end unto themselves, just like Goetic spirits shouldn't be treated as merely parts of the subconscious. The fact that so many people have believed in them as discrete entities gives them power, and dismissing the holiness of the gods defeats the purpose of having them in the first place.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

about gods

then what is divinity?

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

about gods

Original post: shadow flame

for me, divinity cannot be put in words, because it is unlimited. i prefer to call it chaos, though ceremonial magickians will disagree.

Sever
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: about gods

Post by Sever »

In my opinion/belief/experience which have you Gods/Goddess is just a gender separation for the race known as deities. While I do believe in "godforms" such as Ellis and Fotomencus, even slenderman (due to him being given so much thought he was bound to reach godform at some point right?)

But yeah for me Deities are a race known by such a name, abilities and all, but as for their titles such as "god of war" for example is just a title or proxy of sorts humanity/we give the deity, but for example "God of darkness" or "God of storms and chaos" are a title given to their abilities, a deity that can manipulate chaos as a type of elemental energy or dark energy element like the Goddess Nyx being an embodiment of dark energy.

Return to “Beginners Info”