Palo Mayombe - African Necromantic Witchcraft Religion

ndokibueno
Forum Member
Forum Member

Palo Mayombe - African Necromantic Witchcraft Religion

Post by ndokibueno »

Hey folks

New to this board, but wanted to let you know about a radio talk show a friend of mine hosts called "Candelo's Corner", it's a weekly call-in talk show about Palo Mayombe (an Afro-Cuban necromantic witchcraft religion)

Palo gets a bad rap because it's kind of "scary" but the fact is 90% of the practice revolves around healing, ancestral work and spiritual evolution, which is a side that the mainstream public never hears about.

Anyway, whether or not you even know anything about this stuff, it's a pretty fun and friendly show and he keeps things moving along, so give it a listen!

"Candelo's Corner" is every Monday from 8-10PM, EST (that would be 5-7PM on the west coast).

The call-in line is 917-889-7526 and you are definitely ENCOURAGED TO CALL, you don't have to be in Palo, even if you just want to chat about witchcraft and spirits in general we would love to hear from you!

You can listen in live at http://www.blogtalkradio.com/kdclmedia

You can subscribe via itunes here: http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/cand ... d534734591

back episodes are here: http://www.blubrry.com/candeloscorner/

Site is here: http://www.kimbisa.org

peace!
Last edited by ndokibueno on Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Palo Mayombe - African Necromantic Witchcraft Religion

Post by Nahemah »

Cheers,this is very interesting indeed. [thumbup]
"He lived his words, spoke his own actions and his story and the story of the world ran parallel."

Sartre speaking of Che Guevara.

jthorp
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by jthorp »

I admit I haven't listened to the show, but trying to make Palo accessible to everyone is difficult. Anyone mention the extremely expensive initiation rituals? The Ebos? I was taught Palo but never initiated simply because of the price. And the Nkisi are not for everyone either. I could just see some newbie trying to work with Centella and getting ripped a new arsehole. This makes Palo look fluffy and it is not. The forces of the Nkisi cannot be handled by everyone who is interested. Sorry to burst a bubble, I think this may be bollocks.
Blog: http://www.necrosophy.org
Personal Blog: http://necrosophy.tumblr.com

ndokibueno
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by ndokibueno »

jthorp wrote:I admit I haven't listened to the show, but trying to make Palo accessible to everyone is difficult. Anyone mention the extremely expensive initiation rituals? The Ebos? I was taught Palo but never initiated simply because of the price. And the Nkisi are not for everyone either. I could just see some newbie trying to work with Centella and getting ripped a new arsehole. This makes Palo look fluffy and it is not. The forces of the Nkisi cannot be handled by everyone who is interested. Sorry to burst a bubble, I think this may be bollocks.
Hi thanks for your reply, and you make some good points! It IS difficult trying to make Palo accessible AS A TOPIC, because there are so many secrets that it makes threading that needle in "talk show" style conversation a bit of a challenge sometimes. And it was definitely my intention that the picture I posted as an illustration would capture the "non-fluffy" nature of this way of life, sorry that didn't come across!

On the other hand, there are TOO MANY RUMORS about Palo that have created a lot of fear and mystery around it, which is leading to a lot of people getting ripped off or put in danger unnecessarily, and this show aims to dispel some of that by looking at the facts.

There have been some great episodes already about the very things you mention - the costs, the dangers, the non-universal nature of this religion, which you can check out here: http://www.blubrry.com/candeloscorner/

I do encourage you to give it a listen, you may be pleasantly surprised and might even learn something!

peace!

P.S. No show this coming Monday the 28th due to the American holiday of Memorial day. Back on the air Monday, June 4th at 8pm EST

jthorp
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by jthorp »

I am looking forward to working with you, Tata.
Blog: http://www.necrosophy.org
Personal Blog: http://necrosophy.tumblr.com

Hljod.Huskona
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Hljod.Huskona »

Greetings!

I know this is an older thread, but I felt compelled to respond on it nonetheless. I admit that I do not know too terribly much about Palo Mayombe, only what a little more then basic research and reading has yielded...but I've always had a general interest. My interest is not really in initiating into Palo ways...rather because I am fascinated and moved by traditional African religions, and those found around Caribbean. My own religious beliefs come from how I was raised: in a home with dual influence in Greek culture (paternal side) and northern European faith (maternal side)...both of which centralized around ancestral reverence, healing practices, and herbalism as well. Neither sides of my family were Christian for several generations, so there isn't as much influence in that way, but I digress back to the topic on hand. :)

When I was in my mid-teens, I met a man named William, and his family, here in Pennsylvania who are Palo through a mutual friend, who's female friend was dating William at the time. I did not know them well, and I doubt they would even recognize me on the streets today, but having met them, and seeing his practice hit me at that young age. It was around the time that I had begun -understanding- different aspects of esoteric philosophies and world religions (started reading about general paganism in my pre-teens). The incredible faith William had shown, right down to the very way he kept/designed his apartment, and how his family had kept their own home based on their Palo practices and belief moved me into understanding what some might elementarily call a "darker path". I suppose none of this is much for fascinating conversation, but I felt compelled to bring it up simply because for me, those few times I had been with them, opened my mind up in indirect ways for years after that.

I look forward to listening to the podcasts...thank you for sharing!

Mider2009
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Mider2009 »

I suggest reading palo-mayombe.com

It's run by actual initiates of the religion. One of them was referred to me by a VEEY high profile Mage.

They are just like you and me, they tame their art VERY seriously.

Mider2009
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Mider2009 »

Hljod.Huskona wrote:Greetings!

I know this is an older thread, but I felt compelled to respond on it nonetheless. I admit that I do not know too terribly much about Palo Mayombe, only what a little more then basic research and reading has yielded...but I've always had a general interest. My interest is not really in initiating into Palo ways...rather because I am fascinated and moved by traditional African religions, and those found around Caribbean. My own religious beliefs come from how I was raised: in a home with dual influence in Greek culture (paternal side) and northern European faith (maternal side)...both of which centralized around ancestral reverence, healing practices, and herbalism as well. Neither sides of my family were Christian for several generations, so there isn't as much influence in that way, but I digress back to the topic on hand. :)

When I was in my mid-teens, I met a man named William, and his family, here in Pennsylvania who are Palo through a mutual friend, who's female friend was dating William at the time. I did not know them well, and I doubt they would even recognize me on the streets today, but having met them, and seeing his practice hit me at that young age. It was around the time that I had begun -understanding- different aspects of esoteric philosophies and world religions (started reading about general paganism in my pre-teens). The incredible faith William had shown, right down to the very way he kept/designed his apartment, and how his family had kept their own home based on their Palo practices and belief moved me into understanding what some might elementarily call a "darker path". I suppose none of this is much for fascinating conversation, but I felt compelled to bring it up simply because for me, those few times I had been with them, opened my mind up in indirect ways for years after that.

I look forward to listening to the podcasts...thank you for sharing!
Your post goes to show how serious they take their religion.

I've read a bit about them. It's fascinating, from the beliefs, secrecy, and tools. No store bought stuff. Even the drums are consecrated.

Hljod.Huskona
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Hljod.Huskona »

Thanks for the tip to both of you. =)

Return to “Religous superstitions, Folk traditions and Lores”