How would they have revealed themselves?

Emergent or individual religions, small groups or individualised, modern practices.

Liberator
Forum Member
Forum Member

How would they have revealed themselves?

Post by Liberator »

Do you think our ancestors in ancient times were far ahead of us or not in philosophy during the classical and ancient times in philosophy and had already made certain breakthroughs even? Since a lot of knowledge was lost in the dark ages including of medicines?

How do you think the past deities revealed themselves to humanity to be worshipped and why isn't it that they are barely doing it today? Otherwise could it have been people in the past were ahead of us in philosophy and somehow managed to establish contact to communicate with deities? How do you think it was that the deities of polytheism revealed themselves to humanity? Why is it they have stopped?

The society of today in the western world is coming to a point where it's starting to resemble its cultural predecessors that influenced it, the Romans and ancient Greeks or even beyond that. Even today Latin mottos are everywhere for example and it is the number one role model of western civilization.

The people who destroyed the Roman culture(Known as barbarians) valued something differently and so had little care for any technological advancement. The Romans classified different viewpoints as "barbarian" and made them assimilate, taking the good parts of their culture and ways too, the most inclusive culture ever. But that was what brought order and civilized people. Hence questionable things are also referred to as "barbarian".

RoseRed
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: How would they have revealed themselves?

Post by RoseRed »

Why is it they have stopped?
Why do you assume that they have?
When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Clockwork Ghost »

Liberator wrote: Do you think our ancestors in ancient times were far ahead of us or not in philosophy during the classical and ancient times in philosophy and had already made certain breakthroughs even? Since a lot of knowledge was lost in the dark ages including of medicines?
This really is simple conjecture - yes, a lot of modern philosophy has roots in ancient philosophy, but it has been developed and built upon over time. The ancient world gave us a good grounding in regards to how to think and argue, but they also spread a great deal of ignorance at the same time. Much of what we know about the period comes from a very idealistic position - for all its appreciation of intelligence and debate, Greece was still very barbarous.
Liberator wrote: How do you think the past deities revealed themselves to humanity to be worshipped and why isn't it that they are barely doing it today? Otherwise could it have been people in the past were ahead of us in philosophy and somehow managed to establish contact to communicate with deities? How do you think it was that the deities of polytheism revealed themselves to humanity? Why is it they have stopped?
I don't think it has stopped, I simply think we have stopped listening to it as much due to our obsession with celebrity, throw away tech toys, instant gratification, and a pursuit of ultimate proven truths. I think too many people are afraid to take risks, or to pose new ideas without first linking them to proven 'truths'. Sadly, these truths don't involve deific visitation as a solid foundation. I feel that the gods are still very much active, they simply don't hold credence so much in the modern world.
Liberator wrote: The society of today in the western world is coming to a point where it's starting to resemble its cultural predecessors that influenced it, the Romans and ancient Greeks or even beyond that. Even today Latin mottos are everywhere for example and it is the number one role model of western civilization.
Could you please expand on this statement? I know that America resembles late Rome, and there are interesting discussions you can find online regarding the 'New Dark Ages', but I don't see how the use of Latin mottos makes Rome the number one role model of western civilization - this seems like a bit of a generalisation.
Liberator wrote: The people who destroyed the Roman culture(Known as barbarians) valued something differently and so had little care for any technological advancement. The Romans classified different viewpoints as "barbarian" and made them assimilate, taking the good parts of their culture and ways too, the most inclusive culture ever. But that was what brought order and civilized people. Hence questionable things are also referred to as "barbarian".
Ancient Rome was actually sacked first by the Visigoths, and then the Vandals. This didnt 'destroy' Rome, what really destroyed Rome's dominance was weak ruler ship during the fifth century. The empire had already been in a state of decay up until this point, having been split and having suffered a lot at the hands of self-serving political power plays and massive over spending.

The origin of the word 'Barbarian' is actually Greek, though the actual word 'Barbarian' comes from the Latin word Barbari. It means 'everyone who isn't Greek', and sometimes the Greeks even refined it further to mean 'everyone who doesn't come from my city'. Romans took up the word from the Greeks, and used the word quite a bit also. Visigoths would have been called barbarians by the Romans due to their Germanic origins.

Lumpino
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Lumpino »

Liberator wrote:.......... and somehow managed to establish contact to communicate with deities? How do you think it was that the deities of polytheism revealed themselves to humanity? Why is it they have stopped?
Everybody could communicate with deities. In meditation for example. Only may take longer than a deity manifests to you.

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Liberator wrote:Do you think our ancestors in ancient times were far ahead of us
No.

Liberator
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Liberator »

Were the deities always the same or are there new ones coming in?

Could it be that the religions are not spreading so easily due to unwillingness to accept that there is a "why" and materialist skepticism?

EternalReturn
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by EternalReturn »

That's a tough one.

What I hypothesize is that we're blocking ourselves with wild hunt of our emotions. We're raised ignorant and defensive, and that would be the cause of the clutter in our minds, behaviour etc. When the judgement is clouded, emotions unbalanced, and mind ignorant - consciousness must suffer somehow. I hope you know the feeling when you figure out some One and Only Truth Ever (tm), your mind "opens" and you're able to figure out why something is.

This could be described as opening your mind, expanding consciousness, growing, or something else. I myself didn't see any ghosts, deities or anything, but I think that by being less ignorant, more balanced and with clear focus you should be able to see more of the world that is surrounding you. I heard it reveals itself, I wanna try that [smile]

I can't say that has anything to do with religion, but stupidity, ignorance and such you can find anywhere. That's why you can see bad and good Christians/Satanists/Gnostics/hermetist/Agnostics/Atheist/Pick your label.

Deities? My opinion is that they're just a higher form of consciousness that populates this world and cosmos.

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Liberator wrote:Were the deities always the same or are there new ones coming in?

Could it be that the religions are not spreading so easily due to unwillingness to accept that there is a "why" and materialist skepticism?
This is actually a good read about creation of gods.

http://www.chaosmatrix.org/library/chao ... sergod.txt

JohnTitor
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by JohnTitor »

Curious and well-worn subject.

As we only have speculation and belief to go off of- any one of us could be correct. In regards to new deities... I certainly believe that this is infallibly true. Our beliefs and thoughts are CREATIVE forces. Take one mind creating a thought-form... now imagine a million people charging it and giving it their energy as they pray or call to it and BELIEVE in it. You are now left with a much more powerful creation that has a much larger pull in the cosmos. Correlates to my belief in ALL deities and that all religions are right and real to some degree. As george carlin once said- what you believe is what you get. Not a famous philosopher, but i think he had more a feel for things than many of the greats.

this belief however removes the possibility of one OMNIPOTENT being to a certain degree. Certainly the Ancient Gods and Goddesses can foresee much more than those of us with even the most basic of precognitive abilities (even more modern deities such as the Abrahamic despite the much larger following equating to much more power wielded/capable of being wielded) , but that is not to say they are all knowing nor all powerful. Surely a force to be regarded in higher esteem and to be respected for what they are worth- but since nobody can truly prove the ONE path, accept the possibility if you will- that all are the true path.

This puts general spiritualists or Chaoites one step closer to the end goal to a certain degree even if only on a mental/philosophical level than the rest. Not bashing in any way the many beliefs- as I respect and believe in all of them.
Creation is our gift, yet we seek only destruction. We have the ability to achieve greatness and mold our very existence into that which we desire- only to writhe in our perceived notions of existence and preconceived limitations set forth by our predecessors. Let us go forth together and create something wondrous and unique~
----------------------
"If you correct your mind, the rest of your life will fall into place."
Lao Tsu

MadRik
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by MadRik »

Liberator wrote:Do you think our ancestors in ancient times were far ahead of us or not in philosophy during the classical and ancient times in philosophy and had already made certain breakthroughs even? Since a lot of knowledge was lost in the dark ages including of medicines?
In some regards, perhaps. In spiritual ways, yes. Likely they were in a place far more ahead than we are now. Medicines? Probably not.
Liberator wrote:How do you think the past deities revealed themselves to humanity to be worshipped and why isn't it that they are barely doing it today? Otherwise could it have been people in the past were ahead of us in philosophy and somehow managed to establish contact to communicate with deities? How do you think it was that the deities of polytheism revealed themselves to humanity? Why is it they have stopped?
Don't underestimate the power of human belief and the collective of that belief and what it does to the world. In these times, people believed far more intensely. However, there are still a number of people to this day that experience intervention from another power. I think people are less likely to admit their experiences publically.
Tell the truth, but lead so improbable a life that the truth will never be believed.
- Aleister Crowley

Liberator
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Liberator »

MadRik wrote:
Liberator wrote:Do you think our ancestors in ancient times were far ahead of us or not in philosophy during the classical and ancient times in philosophy and had already made certain breakthroughs even? Since a lot of knowledge was lost in the dark ages including of medicines?
In some regards, perhaps. In spiritual ways, yes. Likely they were in a place far more ahead than we are now. Medicines? Probably not.
Liberator wrote:How do you think the past deities revealed themselves to humanity to be worshipped and why isn't it that they are barely doing it today? Otherwise could it have been people in the past were ahead of us in philosophy and somehow managed to establish contact to communicate with deities? How do you think it was that the deities of polytheism revealed themselves to humanity? Why is it they have stopped?
Don't underestimate the power of human belief and the collective of that belief and what it does to the world. In these times, people believed far more intensely. However, there are still a number of people to this day that experience intervention from another power. I think people are less likely to admit their experiences publically.
Why is it that they did less and less intervention? For what reason?

Also spiritually it seems the romans has a quite developed spirituality. It was well organised and practical.

Return to “Unorthdox faith”