Interpreting this pendant

Visual and creative artwork.

dodaive
Benefactor
Benefactor

Interpreting this pendant

Post by dodaive »

IMG_0079.JPG
I have been working on the interpretation of the symbology of this pendant. I have some working ideas so far, but i would like to see if anyone here has any ideas

Occultess
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Interpreting this pendant

Post by Occultess »

Huh. The top part of the spiraly things kind of looks like something I saw in meditation once. Not quite, but similar. And there were no bottom spirals.

As for an interpretation......I suck at symbolism, so I'm am not the person to ask. Although I've read about spirals having something to do with creativity, symbolically.
Link Removed by Admin - No links in Signature

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

Of the top of my head I 'd say it's Celtic based,in design.It's Lunar and the spirals are typical of those seen here in artwork,carving and jewellery.

While there are no universally accepted interpretations for spirals,the below is a common one:

"There are many different spiral arrangements containing multiple whorls. Some have an equal number of whorls, or arms, and symbolize balance. The double spiral represents the equinoxes, when day and night are equal, and is a sign of balance."

http://celtic-symbol-dictionary.com/celtic_spiral.aspx

It looks like it's either old or been aged to look older than it is,lol.The possibility of it being deliberately 'aged' ties in with my first thought,which was that it's Wiccanesque.Either that or it's plated and the plate is wearing off?

What's it's provenance Dodaive?

dodaive
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by dodaive »

That post was very helpful Nehamah, Well here's my interpretation, but it is still sketchy. I am thinking its a reprensentation of Plato's myth of the cave. The smaller set of spirals on the left is the fire that illuminates most of the caves back wall. The slightly larger set of spirals on the right is the sun, morning(top) to evening(bottom). I have been looking through Greek art work, but haven't found anything similar, leading to think that you are right it must be Celtic. Very old looking stuff tend to be sold very cheep here in Chinatown SF, but I don't think anything is actually authentic, just incredibly precise copies.

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Clockwork Ghost »

Could it be some sort of fishing charm? The reason I say that is its shaped like a fish tail - where I come from people made things to look like what they were used for, hooks and the like for fishing and weights for balancing. Could this be something similar?

Rin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Rin »

I see a crescent moon with two linked spirals, the combination makes me think it's probably wiccan in origin. The crescent moon is a symbol regularly used by wiccans (who associate the moon and it's three phases with the concept of the triple goddess), who are also often fond of celtic imagery. The significance of the spirals afaik is dependant on the number/shape/context, Nahemah's explanation sounds like a good one.
"The path of the Sage is called
'The Path of Illumination'
he who gives himself to this path
is like a block of wood
that gives itself to the chisel-
cut by cut it is honed to perfection"

- DDJ, Verse 27

"It's still magic even if you know how it's done." - Terry Pratchett

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Clockwork Ghost »

You see, the problem I have with this being a crescent moon is that the connection for the chain to go through is on the side rather than on the tip of the moon, so it would hang wrong. If its a fish tail however it would hang perfectly. Also, the swirly patterns look like theyre designed to highten an image of two halves lying sideways, not top to bottom (if you get my image) which again doesnt reinforce a moon shape so much as a fish tail shape.

Rin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Rin »

All valid points.

Though for all we know, it could just be something someone made because they liked the way it looked. A lot of people get caught up in looking for symbolism that may not be there. Then you end up seeing occult symbols everywhere.

Sometimes a necklace is just a necklace.
"The path of the Sage is called
'The Path of Illumination'
he who gives himself to this path
is like a block of wood
that gives itself to the chisel-
cut by cut it is honed to perfection"

- DDJ, Verse 27

"It's still magic even if you know how it's done." - Terry Pratchett

Return to “Art, Arts and Artistry”