Anyone ever created his own Runes?

Visual and creative artwork.

malachite
Forum Member
Forum Member

Anyone ever created his own Runes?

Post by malachite »

I am not talking about creating the factional Rune alphabet from the Vikings onto whatever you want to create.
I am simply talking about creating your own fictional sets of Runes created by your own fantasy.

Recently I had this idea of doing so as follows; As this is my own first Runes. I'd like to keep it rather easy.

Step 1: I start with the letter b. The shape of the letter b is - in lowercase - similar to the d, p and q. It's just a matter of mirroring and / or rotating to get the others. I will create my first set just like this.
Step 2: The same thing goes for h,n,u and m.
Step 3: The same thing also goes for y, v w.
Step 4: While the s and z are not mirrored 100 %, they do share a mirrored resemblance. My s can be more rounded, my z can have sharp edges.
The list goes on. There are some other letters that can't be derived from other letters so I will create something all new. Remind me to look at the shapes of the letters, not how they sound.

Then there is something else to remind. Frequency. Some letters appear more often than others. This is the frequency of the letters in the English language; the e is used mostly, the z is used rarely.
e t a o i n s h r d l c u m w f g y p b v k j x q z

I can create the most awesome Rune for the letter e, but then it wouldn't be special since it is the letter used most often in the English language. Also creating the most awesome Rune for the letter z is also quite useless, it's used very rarely. I think I would benefit more when I create my favorite Runes for the letters in the middle; somewhere from l c u m w.

Then there is also my personal favorite letters; My name starts with an k, and coincidentally the letter k is also my favorite letter of the alphabet. But in the English language it's not used that often.

And then there is the thing with numbers and all those glyphs.

Any one of you ever thought of anything like this, or did you just rambled on creating cool looking Runes?

Cheers.

(I'm Dutch, forgive the spelling errors.)

Shinichi
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Anyone ever created his own Runes?

Post by Shinichi »

I have created several personal scripts for both magical and encryption purposes. The methodology of script construction depends on why I am creating the script. Creating a fictional script for the purpose of my creative writing is relatively simple, compared to the extra layers of consideration given to putting together an organized set of magical symbols.

You might want to research Tolkien a bit, since he was a genius at creating his own fictional languages and scripts and is the main reason other writers have begun to do so over the past century. If you want to linguistically do more with your script than encrypt another language, I also recommend The Art of Language Creation by David Peterson. You've probably never heard of him, but he's the one that developed fully functional fictional languages for TV shows like Game of Thrones.

~:Shin:~

Return to “Art, Arts and Artistry”