Music and the Occult

Music, song, dance and performance.

cyberdemon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Music and the Occult

Post by cyberdemon »

"Fallen angel that is I, I'll lead you, all you left behinds."

As is obvious to the knowledgeable members of the Forum, the Quantum state of Everything is never static. Ever changing, Becoming. That which is static is safety, that which changes is threat - to a society of idealists who would create a dogma of idealism and attempt to halt all progress behind it. In the current world, we have reached such a point of stasis. The exponential growth of knowledge has suddenly stopped, when we should be blessed with life-changing events globally on a daily basis.

Growth is unreasonably slow, but there, among a few, exists a field where change is still steady. It is music. It is the direct manipulation of vibrations, the second most potent stimulant to our five apparent senses (the first, of course, being light and vision).

From a spiritual (or even psychological) point of view, Sound has the ability to alter mental states the easiest. Music is therefore a powerful tool, with uses from relaxation to inducing energy. The most widespread use of Music in current times is in Entertainment and Commerce, but that is a topic that deviates from the direction I would like to go.

Of the many genres of modern/contemporary music, One will usually find that they are more resonant to a specific.

For me, and I shall explain why, it is the genre of Electronic (or Dance) music. Specifically, the three most prominent sub-genres; house, dubstep, and drum-and-bass.

While most music we find ourselves entangled by in our daily lives, instrumental music goes unheard. When one says "instrumental", One imagines classical music in general. From piano & violin to Eastern classical music, perhaps a guitar with a few friends. As you will notice, each of the instruments involved are ancient. Since change is what we must embrace for growth, we must look beyond the traditional. In recent years, the rise of dance music in festivals across the United States and Europe, prominent among other places of the planet, have ushered in these relatively new types of music, all produced on electronic instruments.

The key principle of instrumental music is that it involves little to no vocals. While the Voice remains human's most powerful musical instrument, it is very subjective. Words, as we all acknowledge, have power. This is why I believe instrumental music to be a Second Voice, allowing One's own consciousness to take shape and form without being influenced by another's voice or words.

This is where the genre of Electronic music come in. Contemporary, as well as being new, these genres work off vibrations purely out of thought form and visual representations of sound. Much like the alphabet, a waveform is only a visual guide to a sound. It involves no physical immediate intermediate intervention by the human body - that is, you don't pluck a string causing a vibration, but One visualizes, listens, orders, revisualizes, listens, until a sound with meaning has formed.

The bulk of dubstep lays in the use of bass as music - the lower tones of the octave. Many of us Occultists believe in the power of the primordial vibration, the "Aum", for example. As such, it is easy to understand how such music may influence the human mind and soul.

The most widespread use of Electronic music is in dance. Why is it that this genre causes such an effort by the human body to maintain rhythm? Of course, it is easy to dance to anything as long as it has a beat. However, unlike other genres where concerts and gathering is mainly for patrons to see their favourite artists perform, Electronic brings obscure artists to the stage where thousands gather to Feel the sound and resonate with it. It is not limited to only upbeat obscenities, deeper in the genre lies "slow", pure thoughtform provocations.

For this reason, I urge each and every Occultist to study and listen to Electronic music. Beyond your personal preference, use this kind of music for meditation, rituals and so on. Relaxation is a foolish state of mind, required only before attuning yourself to higher powers. Meditation is key, until you delve into vibrations of far, far higher frequencies than normal. Music is a weapon as much as a tool. And finally, whatever is your preferred genre of choice, I urge you to find listen to its instrumental side.

I leave you, hypocritically, with this track. May it serve as an example to every statement in this short essay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw20UhfgdZI
on hiatus. contact via elsewhere.

TheAwakenedHeart
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Music and the Occult

Post by TheAwakenedHeart »

An interesting theory, however, numerous studies have shown a correlation between classical music and increased focus and intelligence. However, no such correlation exists for electronic music. I will post links to these studies momentarily.

Personally, with the exception of the laser harp and Theremin, electronic music does not resonate with me. Anything with a strong beat does not resonate well with me. Someone once said, "Classical music is music without Africa" - meaning, Classical music is music without a strong beat.

Think about the difference between African/Middle Eastern and European/Asian music. Besides the fact that African and Middle Eastern music usually has a drum solo, and European/Asian music is mostly strings. What does each type of music evoke in a person?

Going a little deeper into this, music with a strong beat is indeed good for trance work and other subconscious work; for example, the strong drums of a voodoo possession ritual. However, when working with the higher self or superconscious, Classical music, Gregorian chants, things without a beat are best because classical music has been shown to enhance intellect.

~

From Wikipedia's "The Mozart Effect":

"The Mozart effect can refer to:
◾A set of research results indicating that listening to Mozart's music may induce a short-term improvement on the performance of certain kinds of mental tasks known as "spatial-temporal reasoning;"[1]
◾Popularized versions of the hypothesis, which suggest that "listening to Mozart makes you smarter", or that early childhood exposure to classical music has a beneficial effect on mental development;
◾A US trademark for a set of commercial recordings and related materials, which are claimed to harness the effect for a variety of purposes. The trademark owner, Don Campbell, Inc.,[2] claims benefits far beyond improving spatio-temporal reasoning or raising intelligence, defining the mark as "an inclusive term signifying the transformational powers of music in health, education, and well-being."

The term was first coined by Alfred A. Tomatis who used Mozart's music as the listening stimulus in his work attempting to cure a variety of disorders. The approach has been popularized in a book by Don Campbell, and is based on an experiment published in Nature suggesting that listening to Mozart temporarily boosted scores on one portion of the IQ test.[3] As a result, the United States' Governor of Georgia, Zell Miller, proposed a budget to provide every child born in Georgia with a CD of classical music."
"The Way is not in the sky. The Way is in the Heart." - Buddha

All streams flow to the sea because it is lower than they are. humility gives it power. - Tao

Of the Heart Chakra, Anāhata Chakra: The characteristics of the Heart Chakra are Love, Unity, and Healing"""

cyberdemon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by cyberdemon »

The reason why I'm urging Electronic over Classical is because of Electronic's contemporary nature. Historical aspects of the universe in any shape or form is always highly educational. There's no denying that Classical music is a great stimulant, but it's still from very long ago. Re-practice of age old methods will give verified results that One can expect, but never new ones previously undiscovered.
on hiatus. contact via elsewhere.

Deathquota
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Deathquota »

Music is the first type of magick I have practiced. I started with underground art punk and now I am into urban dance music, but I like every genre.

Now I feel like un-ironically putting a witch-house song up to get people to hate me.
Here's an article for you kids.

http://ultraculture.org/blog/2013/10/31 ... use-youth/
Studying tantra with my entire soul right now, If you mind.

palindrom
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by palindrom »

Deathquota wrote:Music is the first type of magick I have practiced. I started with underground art punk and now I am into urban dance music, but I like every genre.

Now I feel like un-ironically putting a witch-house song up to get people to hate me.
Here's an article for you kids.

http://ultraculture.org/blog/2013/10/31 ... use-youth/
i like the song you posted

personally, i don't listen to music anymore since a year. last february, i just stopped listening to music (only exception: the gym).
i'm a musician, and i love live-music, performing it and listening to it, but otherwise i'm kind of falling into the arms of silence - the longer the more.

i'm practising overtone-singing daily and enjoy the floating up and down the octaves (you get reeeally high sounds with the vowel "i"), and letting the soul dance along with it.

what cyberdemon says about music without words i find to be very true. i love both, music with text, and music without text.

here two examples of music i think beautiful, an electronical song without words or voices, and one piece for voices only

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltpCS5P0zCw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGc__HGwdxk

...couldn't be more different, the two... : )

MAZOHIR
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by MAZOHIR »

Music is an ART form, and just like in many other arenas of self-artistic-expression, there are MASTERS, and then, many of those who would be better off to not bother us with their cacaphony. Music, when looked at from an occult standpoint, gazes deep into the heart and soul-intention of the Musics' maker. Much music today is degenerate. It reminds me of what was written in Rene Guenons' book: The Reign of Quantity and the Signs of the Times. Referring to what MAN would descend to at the End of the Age of Iron, or The Kali Yuga........not a pretty sight at all....at this stage.

The great kabbalists said that only certain NIGGUNIM (tunes) had the power to open certain Gates to the Higher Worlds. Then too, only certain tunes open the Gates to realms infernal. A MOzart only comes around in maybe once in 10 centuries, but the current brand of Electronic music comes around and changes its' face every week.
Mind-Kontrol and Drugs are the LAW, drugs under CIA MK-ULTRA

Rin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Rin »

TheAwakenedHeart wrote:An interesting theory, however, numerous studies have shown a correlation between classical music and increased focus and intelligence. However, no such correlation exists for electronic music. I will post links to these studies momentarily.

Personally, with the exception of the laser harp and Theremin, electronic music does not resonate with me. Anything with a strong beat does not resonate well with me. Someone once said, "Classical music is music without Africa" - meaning, Classical music is music without a strong beat.

Think about the difference between African/Middle Eastern and European/Asian music. Besides the fact that African and Middle Eastern music usually has a drum solo, and European/Asian music is mostly strings. What does each type of music evoke in a person?

Going a little deeper into this, music with a strong beat is indeed good for trance work and other subconscious work; for example, the strong drums of a voodoo possession ritual. However, when working with the higher self or superconscious, Classical music, Gregorian chants, things without a beat are best because classical music has been shown to enhance intellect.

~

From Wikipedia's "The Mozart Effect":

"The Mozart effect can refer to:
◾A set of research results indicating that listening to Mozart's music may induce a short-term improvement on the performance of certain kinds of mental tasks known as "spatial-temporal reasoning;"[1]
◾Popularized versions of the hypothesis, which suggest that "listening to Mozart makes you smarter", or that early childhood exposure to classical music has a beneficial effect on mental development;
◾A US trademark for a set of commercial recordings and related materials, which are claimed to harness the effect for a variety of purposes. The trademark owner, Don Campbell, Inc.,[2] claims benefits far beyond improving spatio-temporal reasoning or raising intelligence, defining the mark as "an inclusive term signifying the transformational powers of music in health, education, and well-being."

The term was first coined by Alfred A. Tomatis who used Mozart's music as the listening stimulus in his work attempting to cure a variety of disorders. The approach has been popularized in a book by Don Campbell, and is based on an experiment published in Nature suggesting that listening to Mozart temporarily boosted scores on one portion of the IQ test.[3] As a result, the United States' Governor of Georgia, Zell Miller, proposed a budget to provide every child born in Georgia with a CD of classical music."
I'd be interested in a link to those studies you mentioned.
"The path of the Sage is called
'The Path of Illumination'
he who gives himself to this path
is like a block of wood
that gives itself to the chisel-
cut by cut it is honed to perfection"

- DDJ, Verse 27

"It's still magic even if you know how it's done." - Terry Pratchett

ultimafool
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by ultimafool »

Hello everyone!

cyberdemon, - I like where you're coming from regarding using contemporary electronic music. Personally though, I would think that dance music would not always be appropriate, unless dancing were a part of the ritual. I just can't help myself when I hear a fonky azz beat! There's plenty of ambient and not-dancy electronic music out there though. Guess it depends on one's tastes and ritual-appropriateness. If one were an artist/DJ though, one would think that putting on a show for a crowd would be an opportune moment to do some kind of magicks...

Deathquota - I like that track you posted. Reminds me a bit of Blank Banshee, or Com Truise or Sweet Valley maybe. I love stuff like that. Dope, yo. [cool]

I've been meaning to do a full-on, formal ceremonial magick ritual in my temple space for a while now, since I haven't done one in so long, and I'm planning on incorporating some music into it, something I've never done before, unless you count chanting and bell ringing as music. I used to do occult raps, but that's hardly appropriate for ritual work. I am going to make my own tracks for rituals though. I see lots of potential for powerful ritual music via sampling and using my own voice for incantations and chants etc. It doesn't have to be dance-able or even "listenable" for that matter since it's intended purely for ritual use. Can anyone recommend some cool, "neutral" sounding ambient music that I can rip off incorporate/sample into my own tracks?

witchpriest
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by witchpriest »

I use music as a form of spell casting and meditation for altered states. I play mostly Eastern European music, and have found a lot of Eastern scales help me obtain a strong frame of mind to produce results. I don't know much about electronic music, but I believe the right sounds to any individual can trigger powers externally and internally.

witchpriest
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by witchpriest »

I've been meaning to do a full-on, formal ceremonial magick ritual in my temple space for a while now, since I haven't done one in so long, and I'm planning on incorporating some music into it, something I've never done before, unless you count chanting and bell ringing as music. I used to do occult raps, but that's hardly appropriate for ritual work. I am going to make my own tracks for rituals though. I see lots of potential for powerful ritual music via sampling and using my own voice for incantations and chants etc. It doesn't have to be dance-able or even "listenable" for that matter since it's intended purely for ritual use. Can anyone recommend some cool, "neutral" sounding ambient music that I can rip off incorporate/sample into my own tracks?
I would be willing to record original parts to help with that, just pm me with the mood/setting you would like, and I could write some parts. If you listen and it does nothing for you I won't be offended if you did NOT use it [happyface]

Haelos
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Haelos »

Kinda sad I never caught this thread until now.

I'm attempting to work out a meditation track to use that incorporates isochronic tones, among other things.
I'd like to also create a music spell that can send anyone into a hypnotic like state of induced trance, whether intently listening to the song or not.

If anyone is good with any music software, especially mixing and layering tracks, I could use some assistance in this process.

To summarize the first track I wish to make:
It starts off with the tone "A in C Major," with a light whitenoise background. Right as the first tone starts to end, a slow, quiet drumbeat comes in, about 60-80bpm. The whitenoise continues throughout the entire track. As the drumming slowly builds up, a sequence of harp and flute melodies will start to play, and as they do, a very quite isochronic tone will be played at (I believe) the alpha frequency. It will progress through the various brainwaves (increasing in sound), holding each for about 45 seconds to 3 minutes, until it brings you all the way down and into Gnosis. After about 15 minutes, I'll have it bring you all the way back up to alpha (back to waking state), and then dip you down again, twice as quickly. This second dip will last anywhere between 30 and 45 minutes. The flute and harp melodies will be made appropriate to the phase they are to compliment. (ie. alpha would be more happy-sounding, upbeat, and ecstatic, delta would be quiet and slow, deep and resonant.) Depending on the necessity, I will use binaural beat when appropriate (however, this leads to the disadvantage of *needing* headphones)

I love music, and I love magick. If I knew enough about both to create what I want to create, it would blow your mind.
If anything I said intrigues you, please PM me or we can make a new thread dedicated to this subject. Any new help, ideas, or information is always appreciated.
"God is an imprecise name for the only thing in the universe that actually exists."
Tell me what you know about darkness, and I will tell you about the light.
Selected Contributions;
Planetary Associations of Common Intoxicants
The Mysteries of Death

https://hdagaz.wordpress.com/

magari
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by magari »

cyberdemon wrote:"Fallen angel that is I, I'll lead you, all you left behinds."

As is obvious to the knowledgeable members of the Forum, the Quantum state of Everything is never static. Ever changing, Becoming. That which is static is safety, that which changes is threat - to a society of idealists who would create a dogma of idealism and attempt to halt all progress behind it. In the current world, we have reached such a point of stasis. The exponential growth of knowledge has suddenly stopped, when we should be blessed with life-changing events globally on a daily basis.

Growth is unreasonably slow, but there, among a few, exists a field where change is still steady. It is music. It is the direct manipulation of vibrations, the second most potent stimulant to our five apparent senses (the first, of course, being light and vision).

From a spiritual (or even psychological) point of view, Sound has the ability to alter mental states the easiest. Music is therefore a powerful tool, with uses from relaxation to inducing energy. The most widespread use of Music in current times is in Entertainment and Commerce, but that is a topic that deviates from the direction I would like to go.

Of the many genres of modern/contemporary music, One will usually find that they are more resonant to a specific.

For me, and I shall explain why, it is the genre of Electronic (or Dance) music. Specifically, the three most prominent sub-genres; house, dubstep, and drum-and-bass.

While most music we find ourselves entangled by in our daily lives, instrumental music goes unheard. When one says "instrumental", One imagines classical music in general. From piano & violin to Eastern classical music, perhaps a guitar with a few friends. As you will notice, each of the instruments involved are ancient. Since change is what we must embrace for growth, we must look beyond the traditional. In recent years, the rise of dance music in festivals across the United States and Europe, prominent among other places of the planet, have ushered in these relatively new types of music, all produced on electronic instruments.

The key principle of instrumental music is that it involves little to no vocals. While the Voice remains human's most powerful musical instrument, it is very subjective. Words, as we all acknowledge, have power. This is why I believe instrumental music to be a Second Voice, allowing One's own consciousness to take shape and form without being influenced by another's voice or words.

This is where the genre of Electronic music come in. Contemporary, as well as being new, these genres work off vibrations purely out of thought form and visual representations of sound. Much like the alphabet, a waveform is only a visual guide to a sound. It involves no physical immediate intermediate intervention by the human body - that is, you don't pluck a string causing a vibration, but One visualizes, listens, orders, revisualizes, listens, until a sound with meaning has formed.

The bulk of dubstep lays in the use of bass as music - the lower tones of the octave. Many of us Occultists believe in the power of the primordial vibration, the "Aum", for example. As such, it is easy to understand how such music may influence the human mind and soul.

The most widespread use of Electronic music is in dance. Why is it that this genre causes such an effort by the human body to maintain rhythm? Of course, it is easy to dance to anything as long as it has a beat. However, unlike other genres where concerts and gathering is mainly for patrons to see their favourite artists perform, Electronic brings obscure artists to the stage where thousands gather to Feel the sound and resonate with it. It is not limited to only upbeat obscenities, deeper in the genre lies "slow", pure thoughtform provocations.

For this reason, I urge each and every Occultist to study and listen to Electronic music. Beyond your personal preference, use this kind of music for meditation, rituals and so on. Relaxation is a foolish state of mind, required only before attuning yourself to higher powers. Meditation is key, until you delve into vibrations of far, far higher frequencies than normal. Music is a weapon as much as a tool. And finally, whatever is your preferred genre of choice, I urge you to find listen to its instrumental side.

I leave you, hypocritically, with this track. May it serve as an example to every statement in this short essay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jw20UhfgdZI

Listening to the track while I write this...

I will agree that music is an ever growing, moving, realizing thing. Just as many aspects of the universe. You could see the same growth in a flower or the becoming of everything.

That being said I will also say I've come to experience the difference between music that promotes this growth and music that doesn't. Thats not to say that this music promotes the opposite of growth, but seems to focus on one aspect of the human experience. I believe the majority of electronic music focuses on a particular aspect of the human experience as well, but I personally have experienced a lot of growth while listening to electronic music.

I've realized in my work with music that its incredibly difficult to get very far with some music. Electronic music, usually with a very simple underlying beat, but extremely varied sounds throughout, promotes a "journey" of sorts for a mind that can stay focused throughout.

Music is incredibly powerful and an artist that can use a bigger box of crayons properly can paint a landscape with great detail; or allow the listener to paint their own. This is the advantage of electronic music in my opinion. I also see a incredible development in the hip-hop community from the early 90's ignorant/woman bashing/unsustainable attitudes towards far more enlightened ones with the development and addition of capable DJs.

I also listen to Mozart :)

I enjoyed the essay and the music. Quality work!

magari
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by magari »

Megaphonix - Caliber [yay]

My favorite!

Etu Malku
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Etu Malku »

Being a Meta-Luciferian my opinion is that the archetypes of Lucifer & Satan both personify Wisdom through Adversity, the mastery of one's carnal self and sovereignty in this existence as well as the atonement with One's higher Self.

When you find these principles in music then you have found Luciferian / Satanic Music. That said, I find improvised musics to be way more Satanic than anything else as they provide the above requirements, as well as freedom of expression. Listening to a master improviser, you hear virtuosity (mastery of craft) combined with true creation (mastery of self) and moments of pure Artistry (atonement with Self).

Return to “Chants and Cants”