Music, song, dance and performance.

Frater Chiasmus
Forum Member
Forum Member

Oldest Written Song - Hymn to Nikkal

Post by Frater Chiasmus »

Youtube link for the 'Hymn to Nikkal'

A bit about the hymn itself:
The oldest surviving written melody so far discovered in History which can actually be reconstructed, was Hurrian Hymn Text H6. The musical notation for this amazing 3400 year old melody, was discovered in Ugarit, Northern Canaan (now forming the Southern part of modern Syria) in the early 1950s, and was preserved for 3400 years on a clay tablet, written in the Cuneiform text of the ancient Hurrian language:

"Thought to be 3,400 years old, this relic has been in Damascus since 1955, following its discovery by a group of French archeologists in the coastal town of Ugarit...The artefact records the Hurrian Hymn, a song directed to the goddess Nikkal [wife of the moon god]. Ugaritans worshipped a number of deities, each one specific to the various parts of their lives. Nikkal, meaning "Great Lady and Fruitful", was the goddess of the orchards....For now, at least, the exact lyrical content of the Hurrian Hymn remains partly concealed, although a translation undertaken by Hans-Jochen Thiel in 1977 is considered closest to the original's spirit:
(Once I have) endeared (the deity), she will love me in her heart,
the offer I bring may wholly cover my sin,
bringing sesame oil may work on my behalf in awe may I ...
The sterile may they make fertile.
Grain may they bring forth.
She, the wife, will bear (children) to the father.
May she who has not yet borne children bear them."
(full articlehere)
There is beauty in darkness for those who dare enter the shadows to embrace it.
- John Coughlin

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Oldest Written Song - Hymn to Nikkal

Post by Nahemah »

Snap, lol.

I posted about this previously in this thread:

http://www.occultforum.org/forum/viewto ... 57&t=38045

I linked to a different article, though, with other Sumerian music and a bit about the compositions in it too:

http://www.rawstory.com/2014/12/what-di ... like-this/
"He lived his words, spoke his own actions and his story and the story of the world ran parallel."

Sartre speaking of Che Guevara.

Return to “Chants and Cants”