Burning loose leaf incense without charcoal

Sculpture, Wood Carving, Outdoor artworks, installations and artistry.

chowderpope
Forum Member
Forum Member

Burning loose leaf incense without charcoal

Post by chowderpope »

If you ever find yourself without charcoal briquettes and needing to burn loose leaf incense, I found a pretty good way of doing that which might come in handy for you.

Things you will need:

A plastic bottle
A big cup or bucket
A bowl for smoking (like you get at a smoke shop, or you could make one from foil or something)
Foil and/or tape
A lighter

If you've heard of a gravity bong, the idea is very similar except this is not used for directly smoking something, rather it helps you fumigate a room with incense.

First you cut the plastic bottle in half, and put the smoking bowl in the top part of the bottle (where your mouth would go if you were drinking from the bottle)

Secure the bowl into the mouthpiece with foil and optionally you can tape around it to secure it. Make sure you don't
put tape where a flame will go later to ignite the incense.

Then take your big cup or bucket and fill it at least halfway with water. Push the bottom part of your bottle into the cup/bucket. Then put incense into your bowl, light it, and slowly lift the bottle. The bottle chamber will fill with smoke, then once you are about to pull the bottle out of the water, begin to slowly push it down again. This will push smoke out of the top of the bottle and produce a rising fountain of smoke.

I hope that makes sense. This is kind of hard to explain, but if you look up instructions for a gravity bong you can find pictures and probably better instructions. The only difference between this and your typical gravity bong is instead of smoking it, you just light it and pump the bottle up and down to produce a fountain of smoke to fill the room.

If I weren't so lazy I'd take a video to show you, it's really pretty cool and I may prefer it over lighting a smudge stick or using charcoal.
Awake from sleep! Remember you're the son of a Great King, see to whom you're enslaved!

Malogranatum
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Burning loose leaf incense without charcoal

Post by Malogranatum »

What a great idea!! [gz] [thumbup]

I've also seen an easy incense burning method, specifically for small amounts of incense (perhaps for a small room). It involves lighting incense to the point of embers, and placing them in a tea strainer. You could use one like this like a smudging stick, where you wave the incense around:

Or, you can use one like this as a Catholic-esque thurible, which hangs from a chain and can be swung around.

Chaos Witch + Tarot Reader

chowderpope
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Burning loose leaf incense without charcoal

Post by chowderpope »

That's a great point, thanks for sharing.
Awake from sleep! Remember you're the son of a Great King, see to whom you're enslaved!

Return to “Crafts and other Skills”