How to improve my drawing?

Sculpture, Wood Carving, Outdoor artworks, installations and artistry.

Malk
Forum Member
Forum Member

How to improve my drawing?

Post by Malk »

I have started to draw so that I may utilize this in my practice of magic and worship of the divine as well as to help draw some of my experiences, but I have horrible drawing skills. I know the common answer used when questions like this is asked is to "draw more", which I have, and my drawing skills are only a tad bit better then stick figures. Shapes, shading, detail, and so forth I am horrible at.

Frater_NT

Re: How to improve my drawing?

Post by Frater_NT »

Two things come to mind. First, if you are going to use art as a form of spirituality why look into automatic drawing? Also, check out Memetic Magic. Second point, try doing your drawings upside down. I used to do a lot of art awhile back and drawing and painting the picture upside down loosens the rational grip you have on the art, which makes it flow more easily. It's a trick I learned from art classes years ago.

Malk
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: How to improve my drawing?

Post by Malk »

Frater_NT wrote:Two things come to mind. First, if you are going to use art as a form of spirituality why look into automatic drawing? Also, check out Memetic Magic. Second point, try doing your drawings upside down. I used to do a lot of art awhile back and drawing and painting the picture upside down loosens the rational grip you have on the art, which makes it flow more easily. It's a trick I learned from art classes years ago.
I had to look up both automatic drawing and Memetic magic, I'm a little confused over what the Memetic magic is though, so that I'll have to look into further. But the automatic drawing seems very useful.

As for drawing upside down, I once rented a drawing book from the library and that was one of the techniques. I have to admit I blew it off as I felt that made little sense, but I have seen this a lot lately. I think I'm going to give it a try as it seems to have had a lot of success with others.

Return to “Crafts and other Skills”