Best books about invocation evocation summoning???

Occult books, occult pdfs, occult texts, sacred texts

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Best books about invocation evocation summoning???

Post by Desecrated »

Best books about invocation?

Best books about evocation?

Best books about summoning?

Best books about conjuration?

Maya The Generator
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Best books about invocation evocation summoning???

Post by Maya The Generator »

I am interested too, anyone?
Illusion is the first of the pleasures.
The bomb of entropic chaos.
If some assholes levels a twelve gauge your way, you drain him, skin him and bash in his skull. Self-preservation is vital part of humanity after all. My favorite part, in fact
My mind is telling me NOOO but my BODY, MY BODY is telling me YEAS

RockDemon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by RockDemon »

Books I know so far on the subject. Summoning Spirits by Konstantinos, Goetias , keys of solomon, Grimorum Verum, Bardon's Practice of Magickal Evocation, Arthur Edward Waite - The book of Ceremonial magick (this one seems to be particularly interesting), Necromonicons. Haven't read/practiced them all completely so no claims that these are the best books , just hope you will find them useful in some way. Can send you a link in a pm to my elibrary to take a look at some of those.

This is my 111 post yay let's party [yay] [gz]

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

RockDemon wrote:Books I know so far on the subject. Summoning Spirits by Konstantinos, Goetias , keys of solomon, Grimorum Verum, Bardon's Practice of Magickal Evocation, Arthur Edward Waite - The book of Ceremonial magick (this one seems to be particularly interesting), Necromonicons. Haven't read/practiced them all completely so no claims that these are the best books , just hope you will find them useful in some way. Can send you a link in a pm to my elibrary to take a look at some of those.

This is my 111 post yay let's party [yay] [gz]
I have all of these books so I'll do a quick review.

Summoning Spirits by Konstantinos. Konstantinos has also written books about vampires and gothic tarot, so yeah...

Keys of solomon. This could easily turn into a very long post, but lets just say that when people mention this book they are usually talking about the lesser key and the greater key. What makes it even worse is that they are known by many different name and each book contains different parts.
Joseph. h Peterson has translated both books and I really recommend them over any crowley, mathers or other translation.

Grimorum Verum - As much as I like this book, I want to warn those who might be interested. The rituals described in this book are borderline crazy. And some of them might even be illegal in most societies. So unless you are 100% dedicated, this is more for historical research then as an actual manual.
Peterson has done the latest translation.

Bardon's Practice of Magickal Evocation - I'm going to wait for shinichi for this one, He knows more about bardon then I do.

Arthur Edward Waite - The book of Ceremonial magick. This book is also known as 'black magic and pacts.'
It's a review over the most famous grimores. It's one of the few books by Waite that is fairly easy to read and it's a very good summary.

Simons Necromonicon. A fake grimore written in the late 1970's.

RockDemon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by RockDemon »

Well wow Desecrated. Excuse me for taking this off-topic but I can't help it no more. I always wondered how do you read so much books? Really as I read through many posts in the forums you seem to be the one who read most of the books. You do some speed reading practices? Or is it you are just a very old bookworm (I hope this does not sound offensive I don't mean any) ?

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

RockDemon wrote:Well wow Desecrated. Excuse me for taking this off-topic but I can't help it no more. I always wondered how do you read so much books? Really as I read through many posts in the forums you seem to be the one who read most of the books. You do some speed reading practices? Or is it you are just a very old bookworm (I hope this does not sound offensive I don't mean any) ?
I'm a very old bookworm. I read 2 hours a day, that results in 200 pages. A normal book is 300-400 pages so it takes me 2 days to read a book. So about 3-4 books a week or about 200 books per year. I have almost 6000 books and it has taken me over 30 years to read them all.

Haelos
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Haelos »

Instead of waiting on Shin, I'll say something along the lines he would say, although a lot less eloquently.

Bardon's book on evocation is probably one of the best resources available on the subject, and it's an actual how-to, not a collection of random rituals for specific spirits.
Any "grimoire" on the subject is not a reliable source for learning evocation, and if anything, are secondary side-resources.

I highly recommend it as it's nicely written and more practical than many other books on the subject. It's not a sole resource, as all Bardon's books require extra dedication outside of his schooling.

Can't offer much in terms of resources on invocation, but summoning, conjuring and evocation are all the same thing, so you basically asked the same question three times.
"God is an imprecise name for the only thing in the universe that actually exists."
Tell me what you know about darkness, and I will tell you about the light.
Selected Contributions;
Planetary Associations of Common Intoxicants
The Mysteries of Death

https://hdagaz.wordpress.com/

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Haelos wrote:
but summoning, conjuring and evocation are all the same thing, so you basically asked the same question three times.
Different schools have different terminology. Also, this is an international forum so some languages might have other definitions then English. I've learned that It's better to ask twice then don't ask at all on this forum.

RockDemon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by RockDemon »

Haelos wrote:Instead of waiting on Shin, I'll say something along the lines he would say, although a lot less eloquently.

Bardon's book on evocation is probably one of the best resources available on the subject, and it's an actual how-to, not a collection of random rituals for specific spirits.
Any "grimoire" on the subject is not a reliable source for learning evocation, and if anything, are secondary side-resources.

I highly recommend it as it's nicely written and more practical than many other books on the subject. It's not a sole resource, as all Bardon's books require extra dedication outside of his schooling.

Can't offer much in terms of resources on invocation, but summoning, conjuring and evocation are all the same thing, so you basically asked the same question three times.
In fact it was you who first recommended me that book, thanks Haelos.
Yes Practice of Magickal Evocation is more like a step by step how-to that can go side by side with any grimoire I guess. When I was reading it many things on summoning become very clear to me that couldn't have been explained so well in the other books.
Desecrated wrote:
Haelos wrote:
but summoning, conjuring and evocation are all the same thing, so you basically asked the same question three times.
Different schools have different terminology. Also, this is an international forum so some languages might have other definitions then English. I've learned that It's better to ask twice then don't ask at all on this forum.
Now I understand your style of asking a question... this is something to remember.
Desecrated wrote:
RockDemon wrote:Well wow Desecrated. Excuse me for taking this off-topic but I can't help it no more. I always wondered how do you read so much books? Really as I read through many posts in the forums you seem to be the one who read most of the books. You do some speed reading practices? Or is it you are just a very old bookworm (I hope this does not sound offensive I don't mean any) ?
I'm a very old bookworm. I read 2 hours a day, that results in 200 pages. A normal book is 300-400 pages so it takes me 2 days to read a book. So about 3-4 books a week or about 200 books per year. I have almost 6000 books and it has taken me over 30 years to read them all.
Amazing. But do you practice along as you read them? At least the ones that please you?

RockDemon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by RockDemon »

Desecrated wrote:
Haelos wrote:
Actually I just remembered. The termins are not the same as far as I know. To invoke a being means to "put" him inside your body. To evoke means to "put" him outside your body into the world. And then summoning and conjuring are synonyms that imply to both invocation and evocation. When you invoke a being you summon him, when you evoke a being you summon him.

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

RockDemon wrote: Amazing. But do you practice along as you read them? At least the ones that please you?
O yes.
I know that there is this idea in the occult world that those who read a lot are just armchair occultist and don't actually practice. But I love books, I love reading. When I worked as a musician I read books about music all the time and still had time to work.
When I practice magic I read a lot, but I also do a lot of work. 2 hours of reading leaves 22 hours for practice :D
Since I'm not in America and can't just order stuff of the internet I have to make most of my potions, oils, powders and such from scratch, so it does take a lot of time.
And then I do my daily meditations and energy work, I do candle work everyday, I do a lot of tarot readings and from time to time I take on smaller projects.
And since I retired I've been taking care of the house and dogs as well, and of course magic finds it's way into that. Cleaning a house and cleansing a house can be combined. Walking the dogs and at the same time hunting for herbs in the forest works great. They don't mind me doing some grounding work or other earth magic while we are out there anyway.

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

RockDemon wrote:
Desecrated wrote:
Haelos wrote:
Actually I just remembered. The termins are not the same as far as I know. To invoke a being means to "put" him inside your body. To evoke means to "put" him outside your body into the world. And then summoning and conjuring are synonyms that imply to both invocation and evocation. When you invoke a being you summon him, when you evoke a being you summon him.
In some traditions like the old Greek magic, summon is used for gods and conjure is used for spirits. Conjure the spirits of the dead up, summon the gods of the mountain down.

RockDemon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by RockDemon »

Desecrated wrote: O yes.
I know that there is this idea in the occult world that those who read a lot are just armchair occultist and don't actually practice. But I love books, I love reading. When I worked as a musician I read books about music all the time and still had time to work.
When I practice magic I read a lot, but I also do a lot of work. 2 hours of reading leaves 22 hours for practice :D
I like your approach :)
Desecrated wrote: Since I'm not in America and can't just order stuff of the internet I have to make most of my potions, oils, powders and such from scratch, so it does take a lot of time.
And then I do my daily meditations and energy work, I do candle work everyday, I do a lot of tarot readings and from time to time I take on smaller projects.
And since I retired I've been taking care of the house and dogs as well, and of course magic finds it's way into that. Cleaning a house and cleansing a house can be combined. Walking the dogs and at the same time hunting for herbs in the forest works great. They don't mind me doing some grounding work or other earth magic while we are out there anyway.
I want a retirement like this when I retire. :D

RockDemon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by RockDemon »

Desecrated wrote: In some traditions like the old Greek magic, summon is used for gods and conjure is used for spirits. Conjure the spirits of the dead up, summon the gods of the mountain down.
Thanks for the info, Desecrated. Despite it may not help in communication but in my opinion as a magickian (well at least as a serious one) it is right to know the precise meanings of the words.

And what about Thomas Karlsson's Qabahal Qliphoth Goetic Magick ?

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

RockDemon wrote:
And what about Thomas Karlsson's Qabahal Qliphoth Goetic Magick ?
It's a pretty good book, but I wouldn't use it to learn from. He changed a lot of the symbols for the demons so that they would look more "metal".
I think the first part of Qliphoth is much more interesting than his version of goetic magic.

RockDemon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by RockDemon »

Thanks. Might give it a try then.

Shinichi
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Shinichi »

Bardon covers Invocation in the IIH. The conventional "invocation of forces" practice is covered in the Accumulation exercises, around Step's 3 and 4. Invocation of Deity is covered in Step 10 I think. Union with Divine Consciousness, the deification of your own consciousness, is one of the key marks of Adepthood in the tradition that Bardon brings forth. You could say that the first 8 Steps of the IIH are just pre-requisite initiation, so that you can work on the Planetary Ascension and Deification Initiations offered in Steps 9 and 10. This is why, in the original German, Bardon named the IIH "The Path of The True Adept." Initiation Into Hermetics was a title decided by the translator.

The PME book gives excellent insight into the general practice of Evocation or Conjuring. Bardon covers quite a lot, even how to use the "magic book" or grimoire. One thing to keep in mind is that Bardon expects you to complete the IIH up to Step 8 before beginning PME, not only because by this point you will have opened the astral senses and have good command of elementary magic, but also because by this point you should be in contact with your HGA spirit. The intellectual and practical gaps that Bardon leaves in PME, the HGA can easily explain and guide you through the process of ritual and such.

Crowley's work is also useful if you can read between the lines. You have to remember that Crowley expects most of his readers to have basic direct initiation and personal instruction from the lodges and orders of his day, so you have to gain that knowledge and understanding from other sources before Crowley makes sense in depth. That said, Book 4 and Magick Without Tears are useful. There are many gems and treasures scattered throughout, and you can gain a good understanding of Invocation and Evocation (and much else) from these books most especially if you combine it with study of Bardon and other works.

And there are a few other good works I've seen, but I can't remember them off the top of my head. I can recall that for Enochian practice specifically, Benjamin Rowe had some excellent books, but I didn't get too deep into his work because I have no interest in the Enochian system. Veos has some Notes on Invocation on Veritas.

Hmm. I'll probably remember other things later. Hopefully this helps.

Edit:

Koetting! That's who I couldn't remember.

While I don't exactly get along with the man on a personal level, I've spoken with and read the work of a few trusted practitioners who will vouch for the evocation method whether they vouch for the man or not. I'm personally more fond of the Traditional sort of Evocation that Bardon and the old traditions teach, but if you want to study a modern approach, you can take a look at Koetting. There's also The God-King's thread on WF, Modern Evocation Tutorial, which is inspired by Koetting's style from what I understand. TGK also has several other evocation related threads, listed in his Table of Contents. If you want to read some writings by a contemporary, serious Grimoire Tradition magician, TGK's threads and posts will give you quite a bit of insight. He's not at all the strong silent type, lol.

~:Shin:~

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Is it fair to say that bardon started a new trend in invocation?
Reading the old grimores it seems like 12-18 months is the expected length of the ritual, but with most modern practitioners it seems to be a much faster process.

I was actually recommended 'magick without tears' earlier today, the recommender said that it is one of his easier works to read and understand.

Shinichi
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Shinichi »

Desecrated wrote:Is it fair to say that bardon started a new trend in invocation?
Reading the old grimores it seems like 12-18 months is the expected length of the ritual, but with most modern practitioners it seems to be a much faster process.
Bardon tried to explain the actual traditional process of a Complete Hermetic Invocation, the sort of thing Veos describes in the notes article I linked to. The sort of thing that the Greek Theurgists and similar Mystery Schools practiced way back when, where you actually experience the consciousness and soul of the actual deity overlapped with your own consciousness and soul. It's a very specific and very powerful thing that requires quite a bit of preparation, and Bardon's work, if gone through properly, would likely take most people a lot longer than 12-18 months before they're ready to do what he instructs. Though, his work is also more "gentle" than things like the Abramelin Operation, so there is that.

The trend that I think you're referring to, I would credit that more to the Wiccan movement and Chaos Magick. The whole New Age Movement in general had a bad tendency to water things down, and that lead to many people practicing shallow versions of things that are high and potent in the old traditions. Some people would blame Crowley for this too, but actually reading through his work, you'll find he was quite serious about keeping the pearls protected from profane eyes.

~:Shin:~

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Does bardons method use any tools, magic wands, dagger or such?

RockDemon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by RockDemon »

yeaah , so many things to read :)
Desecrated wrote:Does bardons method use any tools, magic wands, dagger or such?
Yes.

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

RockDemon wrote:yeaah , so many things to read :)
And it never stops. For every book you read, you'll discover 20 more.

RockDemon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by RockDemon »

Desecrated wrote:
RockDemon wrote:yeaah , so many things to read :)
And it never stops. For every book you read, you'll discover 20 more.
So true, even in most beginner books I read there are so many references outside the book that one need to check out at least to understand what's going on.

Return to “Text”