How much are you willing to read online?

Occult books, occult pdfs, occult texts, sacred texts

How long is too long

1 minute or 1 Page
No votes
5 Minutes or 5 pages
No votes
10 Minutes or 10 pages
40%
20 Minutes or 20 pages
20%
50 minutes or 50 pages
No votes
100+
40%

Total votes: 5

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

How much are you willing to read online?

Post by Desecrated »

I recently found an somewhat interesting article, but it was 150 pages long and I feel like that might be too much to post on this forum.

But I also feel that a 3-5 minute video might not be enough to really get enough information.

SO. How much are you willing to read online? How long is too long and how short is too short?
Is anybody interested in longer articles and longer videos?

blindwake
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: How much are you willing to read online?

Post by blindwake »

It's not so much about length, as it is about quality. Most lengthy articles tend to have a lot of filler, and very little actual information.

I tend to avoid videos, because there's a lot of click bait out there, and because people talk really slow.
For example, if you post a "Ten Ways Your Life Is a Lie" video, I'd much rather read a list of all the video's points, than actually watch the video. Especially considering I probably already know most of the points.
That text list converts 10 minutes of wasted time, into 10 seconds.

There's not really any difference for me between online resources, and offline resources (hard books, etc.), because I download most of my books as PDFs.
If you give me a 50 000 page article, and it's consistently useful, well written, etc., then I'll read it.
You're never going to learn anything new if you aren't willing to put time into a lengthy reading. No matter how many memes you see, it won't compare to a physics text book.
When everything makes too much sense, that's when you know you've got none. It's this confidence in reality that makes me uneasy.

chowderpope
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by chowderpope »

I jumped the gun and voted "100+" before I realized this was specifically about articles. I do read a lot of ebooks, so that's what I was thinking of.

When it comes to articles, if the article does not have bullet points, I have difficulty with it. I need my articles to give me the info and then quickly frick off. So I would change my vote to 1 page, really.

But with ebooks, I can sit for a long time because I expect the information is more fruitful.
Awake from sleep! Remember you're the son of a Great King, see to whom you're enslaved!

Shawn Blackwolf
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Shawn Blackwolf »

None of the choices apply...( of course , being me )... [wink]

Yet , my answer is this...

Dependent on the video , subject matter , presenter , speech pattern , etc...

I can deal with longer videos...humor definitely helps...desert dry mentality
and they lose me after a couple of sentences... [tongue2]

Articles , I can only deal with and read at all if properly spaced , broken up
into short paragraphs , and are not just factual based dissertations , or
attacks , or "proofs"...otherwise , the article loses me , in the first sentence
or two , as I scan it...my eyes literally can not take it , and my brain freezes over...

And being human , with a sense of humor , in the article , wins bonus points ,
and a longer attention span... [thumbup]

But a Wall Of Text ?
Attachments
beyond-the-wall-of-text-how-information-design-can-make-contracts-userfriendly-11-638.jpg
f86.jpg
1122832320.jpeg
1122832320.jpeg (6.64 KiB) Viewed 5009 times

Rin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Rin »

For articles, it had better be really engaging if it's more than 5 - 10 minutes of reading.

For videos, I really don't have a time limit, since I usually put them on then just fire up a video game while I watch/listen.
"The path of the Sage is called
'The Path of Illumination'
he who gives himself to this path
is like a block of wood
that gives itself to the chisel-
cut by cut it is honed to perfection"

- DDJ, Verse 27

"It's still magic even if you know how it's done." - Terry Pratchett

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

blindwake wrote:
I tend to avoid videos, because there's a lot of click bait out there, and because people talk really slow.
For example, if you post a "Ten Ways Your Life Is a Lie" video, I'd much rather read a list of all the video's points, than actually watch the video. Especially considering I probably already know most of the points.
That text list converts 10 minutes of wasted time, into 10 seconds.
Change the speed on the youtube video. If it's a longer talk I change it to 1.25 until I get used to that and then 1.5 for the rest of it.
If it's something that I've already seen but I need to repeat it, just put it on 2 and hang on.

Return to “Text”