Cerber

The Psychonaut Field Manual Pocket Edition

Post by Cerber »

Moderation notice:
Download link in the following post was removed. Reason: OP changed his mind
Discussion was left for the archives.
You all know all time best-seller, that needs no introduction:
The Psychonaut Field Manual by Bluefluke
And so, you all most likely know that this particular, glorious piece of art weigh quite a good bit (153.6 MB to be precise), and while it's definitely worth every single pixel and every single byte, I'm sure, for some of you at least, a thought did cross your mind at least once: "..gee, I wish there was a smaller version of it." Well fear not, my comrades, I introduce you:
The Psychonaut Field Manual by Bluefluke Pocket Edition
It's less than 8MB !!
Which means you can now have all that 100% of awesomeness, all that 100% of magic, 100% of knowledge in a mere 5% of the space!
That's like 2000% more awesomeness per megabyte!
And with virtually no noticeable loss in quality! *it's not recommended to look very up close
Fits within discord file sharing limits, loads extra fast on any machine and many more great benefits. Hells, now you can even have hundreds of copies of it everywhere, go wild and make hundreds of folders with hundreds of copies in each!..
Get your copy now from the cloud:
[Download link was removed]

p.s. No idea if there was/is another "compact" version out there, I'm sure someone did it by now. I did this some years ago, but rediscovered it today shuffling through my library and thought maybe it can come in handy to somebody somewhere someday.
Last edited by Cerber on Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CCoburn
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: The Psychonaut Field Manual Pocket Edition

Post by CCoburn »

I can definitely relate to the symbolism on the cover.

Neither here nor there : CCoburn : The Road Scribe

Cerber

Post by Cerber »

Spida wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:23 pm I can definitely relate to the symbolism on the cover.
The art is the best part of it :P
Have you tried that link? It's my first time trying to share file through google drive, not sure if it works for everyone or just for me, don't have anyone around and at hand to check for me. Let me know if it doesn't open.

CCoburn
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by CCoburn »

I just tried it. Works for me.

Neither here nor there : CCoburn : The Road Scribe

Cerber

Post by Cerber »

Spida wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:22 am I just tried it. Works for me.
Great. Thanks
But now I'm thinking maybe there should be some warning about the content of it, maybe I should have put a disclaimer there, somewhere along the lines of "While I enjoy and admire the visual artistry of that book, I do not completely agree nor support or promote the textual content of it. It should not be taken too seriously and should not be followed letter to letter and definitely should not be seen as some bible holding all the right answers without any need to have any alternative sources etc and so on."
But eh, I'm sure everyone here intelligent enough operate all kinds tools responsibly without layers of warnings sticker everywhere, and for others - no amount warnings will keep them from self harm.

Cerber

Post by Cerber »

On second thought..
I take it all back. There is something seriously off with that "book". I'm not sure what kind of "malware" riding it, but if anyone opened, you should do deep cleanse of your space. And I don't mean computer viruses.
I've disabled that download link.
My apologies.

Kath
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Kath »

awww, but now i DO want to read it :P

I wouldn't say the pictures are boobie trapped, since those caused you no ill feelings.

But now I'm curious what in the text was so bothersome.

Cerber

Post by Cerber »

Kath wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:50 am awww, but now i DO want to read it :P

I wouldn't say the pictures are boobie trapped, since those caused you no ill feelings.

But now I'm curious what in the text was so bothersome.
Well if you really want it anyway, I could reactivate that download link, temporarily, without taking any responsibility or accountability on my self :D

I'm still confused about it. I had it for years, and glanced over it every now and then. Always loved the art style. And I'm sure I did recommend it for at least half a dozen people over the years. Only months ago I would have expected some worms dropping out from "good" old bible, or from books of Thelema, even hermetic texts wouldn't surprise me too much, but from this? Not in a million years.
So much so, that for a whole day after, I was trying really hard to find some other possible explanation, when I could find any, I just opted to just brush it off and ignore the whole thing, as if nothing happened. But it started to feel wrong. Even a possibility of something "toxic" should be enough pedal back at least not my personal recommendations, at least the very last one here.
A remote possibility is not something I'd feel obliged to go around telling everyone about, but it's enough put my own copy of the book in a box, lock it, and hide the key.
Not really anything special either. More like if you been having lots bad past relationships, and then one you meet this cute, lovely, quiet girl, not like any of the other, and so very special, or at least you convince your self it's completely different this time. And one day you find out she was just like all the others and that fantasy broke. And you feel betrayed, your feelings hurt, but most of all you feel extremely dumb, because all that time you thought of your self as a great judge of character, or something like that :D More about hurt personal feelings than anything else.
Could be wrong though, just because I didn't find any other explanation, doesn't mean there wasn't any. But I wasn't willing to investigate deeper, didn't feel like it.
But yes, the fact that I didn't experienced any negative effects from pictures, and only after reading few pages, is a curious thing. What's the difference?.. Or maybe there was an effect I just didn't notice? Maybe that positive emotional response I felt looking at the art - was part of negative effect - sugar coating of the poison hidden?

Kath
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Kath »

Cerber wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:47 am But yes, the fact that I didn't experienced any negative effects from pictures, and only after reading few pages, is a curious thing. What's the difference?.. Or maybe there was an effect I just didn't notice? Maybe that positive emotional response I felt looking at the art - was part of negative effect - sugar coating of the poison hidden?
I think, and it's just a theory really, that the physical book isn't "problematic". Like the paper and such are just that, paper.
But rather something about the written content was bothersome to you, or influenced you towards connecting with something bothersome.

Also, it's fairly likely that the author and the artist are not the same person (I've done a little bit of illustrating for books).

Mostly I'm curious what word-smithing it contains which was so subtly impactful in a way you disliked. Cuz just from your description it sounds kinda mysterious :P hehe

Cerber

Post by Cerber »

I'm sure I mentioning it more detail, but maybe in some other thread.
Nothing very exciting actually, just an unpleasant weirdness in my daily meditation practice. Just one day decided to actually read that book, did only few pages, maybe even half of it, I don't remember. Just that remember I was planing to finish it the next day if I had time. And reading that book as the only "magical/spiritual" activity I did that whole week, no other rituals or practices. And later that evening before sleep I did my usual meditation, which was unusually off. Instead of slowly drifting in to my fuzzy places and spaces, almost right after I close my eyes and try to focus, and begin "open up", a small flash light would spark somewhere at the corner of my "astral peripheral vision" , almost like small tear in veil of darkness would appear and from it a claw would emerge, and that claw would just shoot straight towards my head as it trying to grab it, or to latch on to it. The whole thing would last only fraction of a second but it would make me physically jolt away from it.
First time I thought it's quite weird but must just my own mind tricks, or background noise, or smth. But second time, third, and every time I close my eyes and try to focus on anything, I'd be greeting with weird claws popping in and out of existence in random spots around my head and constantly timing for my head, even after I gave up on my meditation and just tried to get some sleep. Eventually I had admit that was not part of the normal program. Had to get up, do some cleansing and banishing ritual and only after that, when I closed my eyes again for maybe fifth time by then, it was finally all quite and calm, and I fall asleep.
Yes, most people would think it's pretty minor thing and would laugh it off probably. I may be a bit more squeamish, because from my experiences "pretty minor things" can often grow in to some "not very minor things" if left ignored. Zero tolerance policy here, for randomly floating claws.. :P

Kath
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Kath »

Cerber wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:50 am Yes, most people would think it's pretty minor thing and would laugh it off probably. I may be a bit more squeamish, because from my experiences "pretty minor things" can often grow in to some "not very minor things" if left ignored. Zero tolerance policy here, for randomly floating claws.. :P
totally understandable.

personally i'd have been interested in grabbing the claws and pulling out the owner hehe.

Cerber

Post by Cerber »

Kath wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:09 pm totally understandable.

personally i'd have been interested in grabbing the claws and pulling out the owner hehe.
You sound like someone who had pretty quite spiritual life for a long while and now in dire need of some "adventure".. :D
My collection of scars from all of my adventures is large enough as it is. I'm getting old, and don't want any excitement, thank you very much, just peace and quiet would do nicely.

Kath
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Kath »

Cerber wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:00 pm You sound like someone who had pretty quite spiritual life for a long while and now in dire need of some "adventure".. :D
hmmm, I don't think that sounds quite right.

It's just, why should the claw owner hide?

Cerber

Post by Cerber »

Kath wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:06 am
Cerber wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:00 pm You sound like someone who had pretty quite spiritual life for a long while and now in dire need of some "adventure".. :D
hmmm, I don't think that sounds quite right.

It's just, why should the claw owner hide?
What makes you think it was only one and the same claw, or that those belonged to one and the same owner? Maybe it was one dude hiding and trying to get a lock repeatedly, maybe there was one dude with a hundred claws trying again and again with a different claw, maybe there were an entire army of them standing behind the veil making bets which one of them can get a good grab first, and my head was part of some interdimensional whack-a-mole game?
Lots of things we don't know. A good decade ago I was avid believer that all and every knowledge worth any and every risk. Fast forward and now my mantra is - "Ignorance is a Bliss!"

Kath
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Kath »

Cerber wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:16 am What makes you think it was only one and the same claw, or that those belonged to one and the same owner? Maybe it was one dude hiding and trying to get a lock repeatedly, maybe there was one dude with a hundred claws trying again and again with a different claw, maybe there were an entire army of them standing behind the veil making bets which one of them can get a good grab first, and my head was part of some interdimensional whack-a-mole game?
You're right, It'd be more clever to go through the tear in the void to the other side and look there.

as for danger, i mean, it doesn't sound that dangerous to me. Sounds like it's either is afraid to interact more fully, or can't do so for some reason, both kinda speak to weakness. It would be a little annoying to let it keep just randomly grabbing though. And it seems a curious thing to me.

Cerber

Post by Cerber »

Kath wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:40 am You're right, It'd be more clever to go through the tear in the void to the other side and look there.

as for danger, i mean, it doesn't sound that dangerous to me. Sounds like it's either is afraid to interact more fully, or can't do so for some reason, both kinda speak to weakness. It would be a little annoying to let it keep just randomly grabbing though. And it seems a curious thing to me.
Does that mean, you actually want me to open and hold the door for you, to that fun house? Or your interest is purely hypothetical?
Because after all..

Kath
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Kath »

why would it be hypothetical?

You seem pretty dead set on the idea that it would make me stranger, and not the other way around.
which is not necessarily a sound assumption in my view.

Anyway, I'm just curious. it sounds interesting.

Cerber

Post by Cerber »

Kath wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:58 pm why would it be hypothetical?

You seem pretty dead set on the idea that it would make me stranger, and not the other way around.
which is not necessarily a sound assumption in my view.

Anyway, I'm just curious. it sounds interesting.
Because from my experience we all tend to overestimate our selves, at some point. And because in my gnosis, a human mind is just a machine, like a computer, and just like a computer is not always able to tell it is infected by some "malware" so is the human mind. Just as computer can begin to perceive some malware as part of it system, part of it's "personality", so does human mind. The user of machine can sometimes tell, but not always can cure it, and most malware attack the user first, by locking it out of the system, restraining, to completely take it over, something along the similar lines can happen to human minds. We can become a little different, stranger, even though we feel fine, sometimes even feel better than ever.
But I was only kidding, I have no intention to experiment with it. But for those who are determined, this book is in public domain, freely available on internet. But on a side note, creator of it, did mention vaguely after he release it, he had some "difficult time", he was not very specific on details though. But it's a curious detail which feels like it could be relevant.

Amor
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Amor »

Cerber wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:21 am in my gnosis, a human mind is just a machine, like a computer,
That is not at all my experience. Normally my mind will remind me as I go out the door if I have forgotten something.

But when my mind is pissed off then it will not even add up the change I am given in a shop. It will refuse to do the sums.

So I have learned to treat my mind nicely. It responds to love.

Cerber wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:21 am and just like a computer is not always able to tell it is infected by some "malware" so is the human mind.
Computers are getting good at detecting malware but it is true that the mental intelligence is inclined to receive incoming thoughts as if home grown and hence not test for quality.

In the mind control domain, it is common to use trauma to split the mind into separate entities and train each entity for specific duties.

https://evelorgen.com/wp/articles/mind- ... d-control/

I dealt with a woman who had been born next to Auschwitz. She spent 12 years living with her grandmother but her only memory of her was in a coffin outside the house.

She had a booby trap: If you remember this, you will starve to death. She was painfully thin when I met her, as her digestion had almost completely stopped for months.

She broke off with me saying: you know too much about me. This was another booby trap.

But all I knew was from reading Thanks for the Memories. My friend showed many of the same symptoms

https://files.meetup.com/562554/Brice%2 ... mories.pdf

Kath
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Kath »

Cerber wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:21 am Because from my experience we all tend to overestimate our selves, at some point. And because in my gnosis, a human mind is just a machine, like a computer, and just like a computer is not always able to tell it is infected by some "malware" so is the human mind. Just as computer can begin to perceive some malware as part of it system, part of it's "personality", so does human mind. The user of machine can sometimes tell, but not always can cure it, and most malware attack the user first, by locking it out of the system, restraining, to completely take it over, something along the similar lines can happen to human minds. We can become a little different, stranger, even though we feel fine, sometimes even feel better than ever.
Out of curiosity, who are you thinking of when typing that? I mean is it more to 'me'? or 'people on the internet in general'?

I get that the status quo for the species is barely being self aware at all, and having little grasp of how one's own consciousness works. The norm is to be influenced almost constantly, in hundreds of ways. I get melancholic about that.

I suppose I should say that it's sweet of you to be concerned for me.

I think there's a million ways a person could be concerned for me which would be more meaningful than being concerned about my consciousness in an inter-mind interaction though. I think it would take far too many words, with much too great a potential for misunderstanding, or misconstruing, to explain my point of view. I'm not great at knowing when to bite my tongue, but once in a while I get it right.

Anyway, I was just curious about your book-egregore-demon-thing. And I was only curious because of the implication that it may be mind-hostile. I didn't really expect to learn anything new from it. Just idle curiosity about it's sense of style.

Kath
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Kath »

Cerber wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:21 am In the mind control domain, it is common to use trauma to split the mind into separate entities and train each entity for specific duties.
very rudimentary, but yeah. I suppose if you think of it as a spy game, you could liken it to turning an asset 'on the inside'. The MKultra special.

The mind is made up of many facets. And normally only a handful are "on stage" in the conscious awareness and internal dialogue. The rest normally function as the unconscious mind, and by & large make people feel like their own consciousness is mysterious.
Mind manipulation usually works best if it exploits affecting a portion of mind which the target is not consciously aware (potentially by mundane methods), or by influencing in a manner which the target is not aware is possible.
Although brute force of 'consciousness-Will' is an option if applied liberally enough (more the Franz Mesmer special)

a more subtle approach would be just managing the progression of an interaction to arrive at certain intersections of thought. More effective if you subtract natural reactions to stimuli from yourself in during the process.

There's lots of other ways though. Especially common in humans is the effects of group-think. Not to mention the species-centric psychological framework.

Cerber

Post by Cerber »

Amor wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:34 am
Cerber wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:21 am in my gnosis, a human mind is just a machine, like a computer,
That is not at all my experience. Normally my mind will remind me as I go out the door if I have forgotten something.

But when my mind is pissed off then it will not even add up the change I am given in a shop. It will refuse to do the sums.

So I have learned to treat my mind nicely. It responds to love.
Hmm well something like that happened to me only once. I was always a bit abusive towards my physical self, always been treating my body as a tool, means to an end, constantly pushing to it's physical limits and beyond, breaking it regularly. But then one time, not very long ago, we were again in excruciating pain and I was ignoring it, as if it was a minor thing, and moment later physical self just stopped responding to my commands entirely, and when I still tried to force my way, I felt like something just slammed the wheel out of my hands, and just threw me out of the boat, almost. I even start having tunnel vision, loosing light. And I got back controls only after I promised to be more considered with my self. I didn't like that feeling, that feeling of fragmentation. I think we all are better, stronger together as one, as a single individual, and I from that day we try to maintain certain level of "self respect" and "self care", to all of self, so not to give any good excuse for any one part of us to start a rebellion.
Kath wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:15 am Out of curiosity, who are you thinking of when typing that? I mean is it more to 'me'? or 'people on the internet in general'?

I get that the status quo for the species is barely being self aware at all, and having little grasp of how one's own consciousness works. The norm is to be influenced almost constantly, in hundreds of ways. I get melancholic about that.

I suppose I should say that it's sweet of you to be concerned for me.

I think there's a million ways a person could be concerned for me which would be more meaningful than being concerned about my consciousness in an inter-mind interaction though. I think it would take far too many words, with much too great a potential for misunderstanding, or misconstruing, to explain my point of view. I'm not great at knowing when to bite my tongue, but once in a while I get it right.

Anyway, I was just curious about your book-egregore-demon-thing. And I was only curious because of the implication that it may be mind-hostile. I didn't really expect to learn anything new from it. Just idle curiosity about it's sense of style.
When I was typing that I was thinking my self and all others that came before, or the ones I came across over the years. The ones, who as well were very experienced, knowledgeable, had mightiest patrons and guides, yet they took a fall, either very visibly or "discreetly".
And after seeing up close, "infestations" spreading intelligently through some communities, devouring egregores, growing rapidly and becoming the new "god", despite the experience and power of the leaders and caretakers of those communities. I adopted very simply doctrine doctrine of a brute:
See something suspicious? Take a swab. Stir it in reagent. Does it turn red? No? Maybe orange? A bit yellowish? Maybe?..
Maybe is good enough, pour 10 gallons of gasoline and set it on fire, then soak the ground in nitric acid for 10 days, the area entire 10 miles radius around and then sprinkle good amount of caustic soda 10 miles radius too. Then 2 metres of reinforced concrete on top for a final touch.
Put red tape around, with signs of "no entry" for anyone, not even the experienced ones, and just wipe that place from the maps, and all the memory banks as if the place never existed.

That what I call reasonable, appropriate approach in dealing with "infestations", actual or potential, or even theoretical.
So I didn't mean it like "oh you can't handle it, it's too dangerous for you specifically", to me it's more like "it's probably nothing, but just because it might be something, should be good enough reason to not touch it, for everyone." I'm a brute :P
For me this is a sacred space and I try to keep all my sacred spaces clean, the best I can. And we just cleaned it up not long ago, bleach is not even dry yet and I already almost contaminated the space.
Probably not gonna last though, but at least few more days..

Kath
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Kath »

Cerber wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:28 pm Probably not gonna last though, but at least few more days..
sure it can last, hehe

very thoughtful and well considered words there too. You may call it the attitude of a brute, but it's well reasoned.

PS: a couple posts above I quote Amor, but accidentally quoted as Cerberus. I was splitting a combined reply into two posts for clarity, and I messed up the quote tags there ;)

Return to “Text”