Occult (Adventure) Games?

Games, programs, video, television, new developments in digital media..

DarkSchneider
Forum Member
Forum Member

Occult (Adventure) Games?

Post by DarkSchneider »

I was recently looking over some games I've played.

Shadow of Destiny and Amnesia (not strictly adventure but it does involve exploration), really stuck out to me as memorable experiences.

I like point and click games, or something involving dialogue, choices, etc. Something really that makes you think.

I would like to play more of such games if they exist.

Any suggestions?

If not any adventure games, what else can be recommended with those qualities?
"...You must never lose sight of who and what you are, and what a threat you can be, by your very existence. We are making history right now, every day. Always keep the wider historical and social picture in mind. That is an important key to both Lesser and Greater Magic. See the patterns and fit things together as you want the pieces to fall into place. Do not be swayed by herd constraints—know that you are working on another level entirely from the rest of the world." -Anton LaVey

magari
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Occult (Adventure) Games?

Post by magari »

Amnesia was fun.

Couldn't play it alone though.

Have you played the Myst series? Its old, but worth it.

DarkSchneider
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by DarkSchneider »

I've heard of the Myst games. They're quite hard to run on modern computers, if you're using the original CD-roms, apparently.

Maybe if they're on Steam or GOG, I'll be able to play them.

That totally slipped my mind. The Myst games were pretty popular at one point.
"...You must never lose sight of who and what you are, and what a threat you can be, by your very existence. We are making history right now, every day. Always keep the wider historical and social picture in mind. That is an important key to both Lesser and Greater Magic. See the patterns and fit things together as you want the pieces to fall into place. Do not be swayed by herd constraints—know that you are working on another level entirely from the rest of the world." -Anton LaVey

Haelos
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Haelos »

This game surprisingly has a lot of magick going on in it.
http://theworld2d.wikia.com

Probably not what you're looking for.
"God is an imprecise name for the only thing in the universe that actually exists."
Tell me what you know about darkness, and I will tell you about the light.
Selected Contributions;
Planetary Associations of Common Intoxicants
The Mysteries of Death

https://hdagaz.wordpress.com/

Maya The Generator
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Maya The Generator »

What you search then is:

Shadowgate - new edition is very colorfull and have very nice atmosphere. Puzzles are not so easy and playing on master difficulty makes you restart game once or twice. You will find some humorous moments and some typical fantasy fate.

And there is magic in style I love the most. No fireball, no lightning strikes. You open a hatch!

Have fun.

Your desription was only close to this title in my experience. [cool]
Illusion is the first of the pleasures.
The bomb of entropic chaos.
If some assholes levels a twelve gauge your way, you drain him, skin him and bash in his skull. Self-preservation is vital part of humanity after all. My favorite part, in fact
My mind is telling me NOOO but my BODY, MY BODY is telling me YEAS

DarkSchneider
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by DarkSchneider »

Isn't the World from .hack?

Also, I love Shadowgate and I own the remake :) I've probably played every official game release there was including Beyond Shadowgate. :D

Hadit
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Hadit »

The Souls / Bloodborne games are extremely occult filled RGP adventure games.
Beloved of Set

Haelos
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Haelos »

DarkSchneider wrote:Isn't the World from .hack?

Also, I love Shadowgate and I own the remake :) I've probably played every official game release there was including Beyond Shadowgate. :D
This game takes inspiration from .hack//, but it is it's own unique universe with its own story.
"God is an imprecise name for the only thing in the universe that actually exists."
Tell me what you know about darkness, and I will tell you about the light.
Selected Contributions;
Planetary Associations of Common Intoxicants
The Mysteries of Death

https://hdagaz.wordpress.com/

Maya The Generator
Forum Member
Forum Member

NOOOOO! Yet again site ate my post... What a son of a motherboard... [evil]

---
The Souls / Bloodborne games are extremely occult filled RGP adventure games.
Yes, DarkSouls, DemonSouls and BloodBorn are good games but to get all the knowledge about the world you must be prepared to die a lot. Sometimes for some knowledge you will even make few characters to make a run in diffrent style. To gather all the knowledge you must be prepared to kill a lot too as the most informations you get from item descriptions.

If you like challenge and consequences this game is for you. If you play on computer I would highly recommend using controller as keyboard suck for this type of games(you can still try but it is nightmare, even if you do not have skill with controller you will faster learn how to use it that adapt to keyboard).

Souls series are this type of game you have many, not finished, informations which leaves you with many interpretations.

Praise teh Sun which I spam strongly is quote from Souls series.

---

Vampire the Masquarade have much vampire-occult related topics in it. Game itself is quiet buggy and old(and I prefer its roleplaying equivalent). Still it is good game. You will surely in some point tell to yourself "Well, that escalted quickly".

If you want encounter lots of magic s***, play Tremere.

---

Many roleplaying titles have some interesting occult parts in it: DnD, Vampire The Masquarade(There are books for Werewolves and Mages too), Warhammer and WH 40.000, Iron Kingdoms(steampunk fantasy, they are a bit diffrent but you can find some funny things here and new edition books are written so smooth and funky).

And much much more for sure.

For better experience it is wise to find somebody that actually played one of this games to understand with some fluency mechanics of the game and setting. Later on you learn that books for this type of games are just for some basics mechanics and structures and you should fill gaps yourself with other players.

For me typical roleplaying game is like writing a book with friends. Where one plays the role of the Fate n NPCs and rest play one of the characters of the main plot.

---

Can you maybe write what type of games and titles you played? It could help narrow down something I might just not remember right now.

Praise Teh Sun [yay] [cool]
If some assholes levels a twelve gauge your way, you drain him, skin him and bash in his skull. Self-preservation is vital part of humanity after all. My favorite part, in fact

DarkSchneider
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by DarkSchneider »

My favorite games are presently: the Blood Omen Series, and The Prince of Persia series.

As far as occult themed games, I can't say how many I've probably played. I'm kinda exhausted from setting up a winter tent for the driveway today. Blood Omen has a lot of occult themes in it. Prince of Persia, a more mythological approach.

I like the Penumbra games but I've only played Black Plague.

Trine was pretty cool, but that's more of an puzzle solving platform game.

I would've loved Diablo if it were far more unique and not a game about rushing to get to Hell difficultly on Battlenet with a hunger for new items every second. The roleplaying in that game is too limited and has not aged well. Heck, you don't even get to make much original use of skills. Just hammerdins and such.

I'll write more as I can think of them but I might stick to Shadow of Destiny again, and try to get a better ending.

Maya The Generator
Forum Member
Forum Member

Oh, I thought from new games maybe you would like SOMA.

It has interesting plot and maybe is not strictly about occult but some funny topics are made out of this.

Hadit
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Hadit »

God of War, now that I think of it. The 2008 prince of Persia for sure.
Beloved of Set

RockDemon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by RockDemon »

I know you may not except such a suggestion but did you play The Elder Scrolls series ?

Neko-phyte
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Neko-phyte »

Clive Barker's 'Undying?' and 'Jericho?' My partner's played both and enjoyed them a lot, particularly 'undying'.

Everything else I can think of has already been suggested (praise the Sun).

DarkSchneider
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by DarkSchneider »

@Neko-phyte

I saw Jericho at the dollar store lol :) a new copy, today when I visited. I also saw Fallout 1 but I already got a copy there.

@RockDemon

I love the Elder Scrolls games, but I'm not good at following the main plot or flavor text. It's all so heavy. My favorite is Daggerfall and I've played Morrowind. I also own Oblivion and Skyrim.

@Hadit

2008 PoP was one of my favorites :) Gotta love Elika :D

@ Maya the Generator

I was recommended to try Soma by a friend. I will look into it :)

Neko-phyte
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Neko-phyte »

DarkSchneider wrote:
I saw Jericho at the dollar store lol :) a new copy, today when I visited.
Not surprised, it's kinda old now and it honestly got mixed reviews ^-^'

Also watched my partner play through Soma, and it was heaps rad. Easy to figure out how it ends, but great game about transhumanism. Character development was on point [thumbup]

RockDemon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by RockDemon »

DarkSchneider wrote: @RockDemon

I love the Elder Scrolls games, but I'm not good at following the main plot or flavor text. It's all so heavy. My favorite is Daggerfall and I've played Morrowind. I also own Oblivion and Skyrim.
Yes, but that's what makes it great isn't it? I mean one can create an entire magickal system based on the lore of that game.

Hadit
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Hadit »

Actually I'm fucking sick of how cheap Bloodborne is. For some reason I don't think occult games can have cheap bosses. If you know what to do and do it right, you should win a fucking boss fight.
Beloved of Set

Maya The Generator
Forum Member
Forum Member

Hah, fight with smelterdick in his small room and get bugged in the wall 3 times in a row coz of his aoe attack? Welcome dear darksouls :)

Hadit
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Hadit »

Maya The Generator wrote:Hah, fight with smelterdick in his small room and get bugged in the wall 3 times in a row coz of his aoe attack? Welcome dear darksouls :)
Souls was never even close to this bad. It wasn't weighed down by the horrible repetition and it wasn't stuffed full of horrible, cheap bosses. Well, original Dark Souls two was unfathomably bad, but Scholar is probably the best game out there.
Beloved of Set

Maya The Generator
Forum Member
Forum Member

Did not play Scholar yet :(

I like the story about BloodBorn, it is crazy but whole game is diffrent from Souls series. Flow of the game is diffrent which made boss fights a lot of diffrent, maybe if they attempt a sequel then it will be balanced better.

Are you speaking of some specific boss fight or all bosses in general?

Hadit
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Hadit »

Maya The Generator wrote:Did not play Scholar yet :(

I like the story about BloodBorn, it is crazy but whole game is diffrent from Souls series. Flow of the game is diffrent which made boss fights a lot of diffrent, maybe if they attempt a sequel then it will be balanced better.

The story is awesome, indeed. Bosses like Amelia and the Shadows of Yharman are my biggest beef. I also had that you can fight a main, early boss like Amelia and just get trashed, but a late game boss like the Dark Beast takes maybe two tries. Very inconsistent, even between play throughs.
Beloved of Set

Maya The Generator
Forum Member
Forum Member

Hadit wrote:
Maya The Generator wrote:Did not play Scholar yet :(

The story is awesome, indeed. Bosses like Amelia and the Shadows of Yharman are my biggest beef. I also had that you can fight a main, early boss like Amelia and just get trashed, but a late game boss like the Dark Beast takes maybe two tries. Very inconsistent, even between play throughs.
Amelia = something to interupt healing in phase 2, learn the patterns and keep dodgin. pain in the ass without molotovs or smthin to interupt.

Shadow of Yharman = joke, I mean really bad one... I like design of this boss but fighting with him is nightmare.

late game like always in this type of game, you are just a badass as long as you do not play some challenge run :)

Return to “TV, Video, Online and Digital Expressions”