Tulpamancy forum request

Wish list for future additions to the site

dancing-with-dragons
Forum Member
Forum Member

Tulpamancy forum request

Post by dancing-with-dragons »

I think it would be an excellent idea to add a new forum category; Tulpamancy. It could have subforums (Information/Guides, Questions and Answers, Discussion, and perhaps Tulpa Metaphysics ) .Tulpamancy is growing in popularity, and other forums covering this subject thrive with daily active members. I think that it's a win win solution for the forum. It would allow people to learn more about tulpae, and would also boost the amount of interesting people coming here. (Those who tulpaforce are expirienced visualizers and meditators) .
Some argue that Tulpamancy has nothng to do with magick, but is psychological. Whether or not this is true, Tulpamancy is certainly occultic in nature, and would be a nice addition to the forum. :)
If YHVH had not of been my help, my soul had almost dwelt with Dumah.

Asurendra
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Tulpamancy forum request

Post by Asurendra »

I am curious to know more about 'Tulpa Metaphysics.' Also, and this will sound really picky, but the word 'tulpa' is not Latin. So, I personally do not think first declension plurals apply. But, if it makes you happy I guess it is not a big deal.

dancing-with-dragons
Forum Member
Forum Member

Tulpa is Sanskirt, I think. But tulpae is how every article I have seen spells it, so I assumed that's how it was. Lol.

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

We have the Shamanism folder and sub forums there for particular techniques and cultural practices.

You can post about this in there for now and if there is sufficient interest shown,then we may sub folder it.

But,it's not a term I'm familiar with...though I understand what Tulpa are and I know the etymology for mancy.

Tulpa - magickal thought form [Tibetan]

mancy- suffix denoting particular forms of divination.[Greek]

Using thought forms for divination purposes?
"He lived his words, spoke his own actions and his story and the story of the world ran parallel."

Sartre speaking of Che Guevara.

dancing-with-dragons
Forum Member
Forum Member

Nahemah.

I think the actual meaning of Tulpamancy is not exexactly how the etymology suggests. I suppose "Tulpas" would be more efficent [tongue]

It really hasn't got anything to do with divination, or even Shamanism. It's simply the art of creating a sentient, living though form as a companion. In may cases, after the creation of the tulpa is complete (it can take months), many people work on "imposition", the act of imposing your tulpa on the 5 senses. So that you can physicaly hear, and see your tulpa without effort. Truly an interesting concept. Although Your right, about the lack of interest here. I though that perhaps adding the forum would generate more traffic here because of google search.

Bara Mortath
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Bara Mortath »

From what I've seen of the "tulpamancy" phenomena I'm not sure that the people drawn here by a subforum on it would really understand the rest of the site. Generally the people creating these thought forms don't seem to really grasp what they are doing or how it might connect to anything outside their head..

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

It really hasn't got anything to do with divination, or even Shamanism.
The concept of Tulpa is rooted in Tibetan Bon tradition,which is both Shamanic and Animistic.And any practice which is defined with the mancy suffix relates to divinatory skills also.

I'm not on board with the latest trends and this one seems typical of the careless throwing together and conflation of older traditons and concepts that occurs when someone has a new trick to sell to the masses.
. Generally the people creating these thought forms don't seem to really grasp what they are doing or how it might connect to anything outside their head..
Seconded and QFT.

Rather like the Eclectic Wiccan craze that caused the Bicca/Bitchcraft wars a while ago:Purple sparkly unicorns and totems for all!

Is Llewellyn involved yet? [ LOLGROAN [crazy] [tongue] ]

I did a lot reading around last night after seeing this term here and I'm not impressed at all by what I've found so far.Just saying.
But,It does go a long way towards explaining the relatively sudden and apparently unusual clusters/proliferation of shadow forms and strange 'demons' that several of my friends have been asked to deal with recently.

I asked around about this too and showed a few 'popular' pages on it to folk I know.

They're not too impressed either.

A quick forum search on Tulpa below,we've answered a fair few questions on this subject already and there are lots of archived topics relating to this too:

http://www.occultforum.org/forum/search.php
"He lived his words, spoke his own actions and his story and the story of the world ran parallel."

dancing-with-dragons
Forum Member
Forum Member

LOL! Did you stumble across the "my little pony" crowd? It seems like most tulpaforcers are shcoolgirls making ponies or and me characters. It is annoying, I agree. After thinking about your reply, I agree with you. It might be hurtful, instead of helpful, to the forum to attract fluffy-bunnies.

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

[greensmile] I'll just drop this here and say no more ...

[Thanks to Sylas for finding it]

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

It is fine to post about Tulpa on the forum,by the way. [thumbup]

We are not dismissing the concept in any way here,just not encouraging the new trend for exploitation and fluffery regarding it. [grin]

dancing-with-dragons
Forum Member
Forum Member

Wow haha thats hilarious!

Its sad to see so much of that stuff. Making a tulpa is a serious, life changing matter. I wouldnt want a pony following me around for the rest of my life.
I am, however, in the process of visualizing my own Tulpa. A person, by the way, not a pony.

Perhaps I'll start a thread on the serious creation of Tulpas.

Rin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Rin »

I don't think there's enough discussion taking place on the subject to warrant a sub-forum and, quite frankly, am not sure we want to attract the 'tulpa' crowd. I see enough of those types when I get bored at 3am and find myself browsing /x/ :|
|||
"The path of the Sage is called
'The Path of Illumination'
he who gives himself to this path
is like a block of wood
that gives itself to the chisel-
cut by cut it is honed to perfection"

- DDJ, Verse 27

"It's still magic even if you know how it's done." - Terry Pratchett

hobotubbie
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by hobotubbie »

sup rin long time no see!

michael4343
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by michael4343 »

One word
SHAMANISM

michael4343
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by michael4343 »

This is an idea which fits into most of the paradigms and spell sharing
A lot of people now are chaos magicians and chaos magick loves this practice

Shinichi
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Shinichi »

Tulpas are essentially what most people around here call Servitors. It's a single skill, and doesn't really warrant an entire subforum on this particular website, in my opinion. Tulpa discussion, focusing on the traditional TIbetan idea and not the contemporary one, would fit in just fine on the Eastern Faith forum. You can also talk to the Chaos and Ceremonial folks to learn a bit about how traditional Western things like how conventional Servitors work, or how Larvae, Phantoms, and other Thoughtforms work, and how this could help you in your particular studies.

But I just don't think there's a wide interest here in "Tulpamancy." The term itself has too much fluff attached.

~:Shin:~

Maya The Generator
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Maya The Generator »

I agree with Shin [thumbup]
Illusion is the first of the pleasures.
The bomb of entropic chaos.
If some assholes levels a twelve gauge your way, you drain him, skin him and bash in his skull. Self-preservation is vital part of humanity after all. My favorite part, in fact
My mind is telling me NOOO but my BODY, MY BODY is telling me YEAS

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

I reiterate and add:

If you wish to post on Tulpae, post in Shamanism, if I think it's more about servitors or indeed, about other more complex thoughtforms such as Fylgia, for example, I'll move to the relevant folder for you.

Tulpae are not servitors, though the concepts are related and fylgia or fetch forms, similarly distinctive, though also linked up.

Also Shamanism is not particularly faith specific nor organised faith dependant, as it's culturally rooted, so post there initially.

the_spiral
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by the_spiral »

Argh...this has indeed become a trendy practice, and anyone who does regular astral work has probably encountered at least one or two of the desperate volatile messes left behind by dabblers who moved on to the next big trend. And for that reason I'd really rather NOT put out a big shiny welcome mat for that crowd. I'm happy here just hanging out with regular old boring occultists and discussing tulpas if/when the topic comes up naturally. [crazy]
"Follow the path of the radiant life force as she flashes upward like lightning through your body." - Vijanabhairava Tantra

Return to “Wish List”