find Parchment paper to make talismans

gravitate
Forum Member
Forum Member

find Parchment paper to make talismans

Post by gravitate »

I would like to make some seals of Solomon talismas but I do not know where or how to get the virgin parchment paper?

any help would be appreciated! also to draw them I have simply got some seals made into silver coins and was going to shade over the coins on the papers or put ink on the silver coins and press on the parchment.

SerafinTronu
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: find Parchment paper to make talismans

Post by SerafinTronu »

gravitate wrote:I do not know where or how to get the virgin parchment paper?
Go to the shop.

Buy a notebook and tear out a clean sheet of paper.

And you have a piece of virgin parchment.

The whole notebook is a piece of virgin parchment.

Why?

Because nobody notebook, pages not used.

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

The notebook is made out of paper. Parchment is made out of animal skin.

You can actually buy goat skin parchment (or calfskin) in some special stores. I'm sure you'll be able to find one online in your country if you do some searching.

There are also stores that make and sell handmade paper of different pulps. And I even found one place that sells papyri.

SerafinTronu
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by SerafinTronu »

Desecrated wrote:The notebook is made out of paper. Parchment is made out of animal skin.
Yes you are right.

I mistook the word of paper and parchment.

The difference in language. I do not use English fluently, I help myself with google translator. Hence my mistake. Sorry.

Based on my knowledge, I can say that the paper is fine, you do not have to use parchment, only that the paper or parchment can not be used by someone earlier. Just remember to clean with energy such paper or parchment.

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

SerafinTronu wrote: Based on my knowledge, I can say that the paper is fine, you do not have to use parchment, only that the paper or parchment can not be used by someone earlier. Just remember to clean with energy such paper or parchment.
There is an idea in early magic that; the harder something is to find, the more power it has.

Some of the old grimories also calls for a virgin animal, so it can't just be any old goat, it has to be a kid (goat child is called kid, not an actual human child). (I made a mistake saying that parchment can be from a calf, cow parchment is of course called vellum, parchment is traditionally from goats.)

And one of the grimoires even calls for the parchment being made by yourself from a kid that has never touch the ground. So you need to be present at the time of birth and then catching it before it hits the ground and then manufacturing the parchment yourself, with knives that you have made yourself. Preferable in secret without anybody else knowing about it.
You also have to choose the right date to do it, and it has to be done in the right hour of the right day.

Mystory
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Mystory »

Desecrated wrote:There is an idea in early magic that; the harder something is to find, the more power it has.
The idea has survived as a mainstream psychological rule of thumb: the more (time/money/energy) you are willing to sacrifice to achieve something, the more likely it is that you will succeed. People often form intentions on a whim - they experience a short-lived enthusiasm for a goal or project, but forget about it once a new and shiny object catches their attention. Needless to say, that sort of behaviour rarely leads to any tangible progress. In contrast, if you're prepared to single-handedly skin a new-born goat, that's probably a good indication that you are serious.

If this was indeed the rationale behind the presciption, we might reasonably conclude that you could substitute a different material for parchment, as long as it is comparably difficult to obtain. On the other hand, there is a good argument to be made for doing things 'by the book', if that increases your confidence in the procedure's efficacy.

Return to “Workings, Spells, Incantations and Rituals.”