My Spells Don't Work

Napoli
Forum Member
Forum Member

My Spells Don't Work

Post by Napoli »

What do I have to do to make them work? I have been working on a situation for a year and could not manage to bring any improvement. I also took external help but in vain. I thought it was a difficult and complex situation and left it. However, I found that even my spells for small and simple goals like getting a good job does not work. A friend once told me that my energy is ungrounded due to blockages in my lower chakras. Is it the only reason for this? I know I may sound impatient and silly, but I feel that I am not worthy as a magician if my spells does not yield any results, especially the ones with simple goals. TIA.
In my sword I trust.

- Ensiferum

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Re: My Spells Don't Work

Post by Desecrated »

Are you doing your fundamental training?

Napoli
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Napoli »

Desecrated wrote:Are you doing your fundamental training?
You mean from Bardon's book? I do some meditation and breathing exercises.
In my sword I trust.

- Ensiferum

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Napoli wrote:
Desecrated wrote:Are you doing your fundamental training?
You mean from Bardon's book? I do some meditation and breathing exercises.
All traditions have some sort of fundamental training. But bardons are a good start.

Well, maybe you should add some chakra and energy works to your daily training regime than. Kill two birds with one stone. If it is a chakra problem, you'll be able to solve it, and if not, you'll get better at concentration and transferring energy anyways.

fraterai
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by fraterai »

Done any divinations on this one? Magic in theory and practice has a good set of postulates for locating the source of failure in magical operations. I would say one or more of your will, desire, or belief is not in line with the others
Only right reflection and right meditation can free you - Ananda Metteya

Napoli
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Napoli »

fraterai wrote:Done any divinations on this one? Magic in theory and practice has a good set of postulates for locating the source of failure in magical operations. I would say one or more of your will, desire, or belief is not in line with the others
Oh yes, a one card reading. I got the Strength reversed. I took it as lack of willpower or confidence. But I can't agree with it.
In my sword I trust.

- Ensiferum

fraterai
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by fraterai »

I can agree with it, your beliefs and desires are obviously well formed, but you cant seem to work up the proper force (mostly the job of Will). You could have no shortage of confidence in your will power but still be lacking the proper degree of force to accomplish your task, which can really only be developed through the fundamentals. If you can confirm the reading or get an outside reading on it, i would encourage you to do so. You should also do a reading before each actual attempt to see if it is even worth carrying out.

There could be another problem, your actual spell. The title says your "spellS" don't work but then you only mention one situation, are only the spells you are working toward this goal failing or have you never had any success with any spells? If you HAVE had success, I would just use your spell towards increasing your own power and success in magic (I'm always wondering why more people don't do this) and eventually you will accomplish the task that seems out of reach today. If you have not had any success, I would go back and evaluate the spell and look for mistakes, or else try a new method entirely.

Napoli
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Napoli »

fraterai wrote:The title says your "spellS" don't work but then you only mention one situation, are only the spells you are working toward this goal failing or have you never had any success with any spells?
I never had any success with any of my spells. Not even a little improvement that can point to me that at least what I am doing is right. I am constantly improving on my rituals, reading from websites and books, and modifying them myself. I mentioned about a complicated situation in my OP. I also took help from others for it and even they could do nothing. What bothers me is that even my spells for simple goals are not yielding any results.
fraterai wrote:You could have no shortage of confidence in your will power but still be lacking the proper degree of force to accomplish your task, which can really only be developed through the fundamentals.
I guess I can agree with that.
In my sword I trust.

- Ensiferum

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

In chaos magic, they talk a lot about being "able to let spells go": do a sigil and then move on. If you keep thinking about the results all the time, the spell never really leaves you. Spells are meant to be cast. So cast them out into the world, and don't worry about it any more.

So what I like to do is do a bunch of spells in a close cluster. Some of them might be serious, some of them really unserious. For example, one time, I made a sigil to keep hedgehogs away from my lawn. Like really trivial stuff thrown in with the rest.

Also, The universe has a really fucking weird sense of humor. You rarely get exactly what you ask for, you get something similar, or it happens in some odd way that never would have crossed your mind.
I think we as magicians have to open up ourself for that interaction in our life. You can't be a control-freak when it comes to magic. And the worst thing you can do is to overthink it.

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Napoli wrote:
Oh yes, a one card reading. I got the Strength reversed. I took it as lack of willpower or confidence. But I can't agree with it.
"Strength reversed indicates weakness. You may have recently experienced a setback, or you are questioning your own journey and whether you are on the right track. Your inner strength and courage is lacking right now and you are feeling inadequate and vulnerable as a result. While these feelings may seem very real when you are in the moment, you will soon come to realize that they exist only to remind you that you are only temporarily out of touch with your inner strength. You need to remember that your core strength will always be with you and now is as good a time as any to reconnect with this core strength. "

Buckle down on your basic training. :D

----

Another good tip: When you get stuck on a card in the tarot, look at the cards next to it (in the order they appear in the deck). So in this case the Chariot and the Hermit. Is there anything in those cards that you can work on? Or work towards? Or use to be able to overcome the strength card?

LoneWolf
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by LoneWolf »

Hi Napoli

Personally I did never try or look for magick or any LOA shit before things happening. Shit started happening and as a result I had to read anywhere in order to find some sense.

If it may benefit you the conditions before my first things happening(and by things I am talking exclusively low magick or manifestations) were as follow:

All emotional wounds identified and healed.
Always positive mental chatter, ie. no feel bad thoughts and if some occured they were properly understood, addressed, and therefore transformed into good vibe.
Daily meditation of at least 30 minutes.
0 Meat.
0 TV.
No smoking No alcohol.
Exercise somewhat frecuently but moderate.
Daily relaxing walks in the night time by nature(a beautiful park with trees will do. No need to go to the fucking hills)
Ability to "feel 100% good and present" instantly at will. If you meditate properly this you will achieve easily. I remember by that time whenever I for some reason drifted away from a blissful state, whatever I was doing, I could tell to myself something in the lines of (imagine soft voice)"Hey... you're fine". That, I remember was enough by the time.
And the most important is not being around people much. I believe this one is very important if you've yet to experience anything of the kind. Talking with people bind you back to earth and well... in order to move the mountains you should feel at least floating few meters away from the floor. I'm sure you understand the idea and can think about many other things you should avoid, at least in the start.
I also remember that by that time I didn't masturbate. And it wasn't some fight or struggle against myself. I honestly could wake up with a hardon and somewhat horny and nevertheless say "I don't care about this body" and go meditate. I'm sure you see one's relation to its ego there and the key to most things of this kind.

Obviously It's very logic and sound from my perspective to strongly believe that if you were to reproduce these which I believe are the most notable circumstances I was experiencing by the time all started without me seeking or even thinking that my thoughts could shape my life, you will effortlessly experience something of the kind.

Wish you well

The above I believe may be labeled as a fundamental training. I believe this was what was recommended to you. And yeah, this is what Strength means. Just unreverse it.

Caerdon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Caerdon »

Sounds like you've lost your confidence there, which makes preforming spells a might bit harder to do, or atleast getting the results.
You should probably hold off of preforming spells for a while and start doing exercises and practices until you get your confidence back and have some success to build off of.

Anyways, spells for getting a good job and such as that are not as simple as they first seem when setting out to do them. First, what is good and what isn't is a matter of perception. Second, spells like that can take a long time to bare results, and works best if you actively work in tandem with it, as those spells will make the opportunities present themselves to you, but it will still be up to you to close the deal. It could be that the results of the spell will be you overhearing someone talking about somewhere hiring, even if it is for something you wouldn't normally consider, and from there it's up to you to follow through with it and get the job.

You have to be able to understand the workings of the spell in order to see the results, it could be that your spells have been working, just not in the ways that you have imagined it, so you don't see the spells end results because you are looking for what you expect to see rather than what it actually does and presents to you, so you only see failure where there isn't any. Spells more often than not bring opportunities as their results, atleast for these types of things.

Simple things may look simple on the surface, but really there is too much variability and ways to interpret it that it becomes extremely hard to predict how the outcome will truly come to pass.
Time is but an illusion in perception and is only perceived to pass by at the same moments together for us all... which is, quite frankly, me saying to not expect from me in a timely manner!
-I am but a simple wanderer... Though I may be gone for immeasurable time, always do I return.

Shinichi
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Shinichi »

What kind of Spellcraft are you doing? Some methods require more "Personal Power" than others.

~:Shin:~

Napoli
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Napoli »

Shinichi wrote:What kind of Spellcraft are you doing? Some methods require more "Personal Power" than others.

Candle and sigil magic.
In my sword I trust.

- Ensiferum

Shinichi
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Shinichi »

Napoli wrote:
Shinichi wrote:What kind of Spellcraft are you doing? Some methods require more "Personal Power" than others.

Candle and sigil magic.
So, you're probably doing Wishcraft and thus not getting results. Candles and Sigils can work just fine, but there is technique and skill involved, and they both require more "personal power" than some other options even though they are rather basic. The previous recommendations that you work on your basics is seconded by me, but also check your technique. Analyze what you are doing and see if you can find a place in the spell process where you are failing - it can be anything from not having clear and focused intent going into the spell creation, to not having enough energy fueling the spell, to not properly "casting" the spell. Throw it like a baseball, and once you let it go, let it either fly or fall on its own. I'm not one who thinks you need to forget a spell once it's released, but constant interference in a spell will only kill it. Worrying a lot about it is interference.

I think you should read Natural Magic by Doreen Valiente. It has a lot of good information on basic spellcraft. I'm fond of Jason Miller's work too, as most people on this forum probably know by now. [tongue] Teliesin McKnight has a great YouTUbe channel full of videos that cover the basics. Read this by Sarah Lawless as well, and try put to test a few general rules of thumb:

1) Before you do Spellwork, do Divination work. Doesn't matter what kind, as long as you're good at it. If you're not good, practice. You need to be able to read the flow of nature to make sure that nature itself isn't going to work against you, or that you're not going to accidentally kick a steel plate and piss off someone or something much stronger than you. Maybe the forces acting around you will allow a certain course, but going about it with certain methods will make things harder on you. Ask the right questions and you'll not only figure out whether or not a spell will work, but what the best path to take actually is. You don't always need a spell to get what you want. Indeed, sometimes a spell can make it harder to get what you want, especially if you suck at Spellcraft right now. [tongue]

2) Bigger things require bigger efforts. Not everything you think is simple actually is, so you must figure out the proper nature of the thing you want to achieve before you can really construct a good spell to affect that thing. Divination can help with this too, but it mostly means analyzing the situation you want to affect. Want to achieve a job? Rather than simply casting a "gimme job" sigil, analyze what kind of job you want, what your qualifications are, what the probability of you getting that job is, and then analyze the things that are best to influence in order to get your desired outcome. Perhaps you just need to cast a spell to make the application reviewer or interviewer like you more, perhaps you need to cast a spell that makes you stand out as qualified to do the job you want, perhaps you just need to go take some extra class or get some certification you don't have... and perhaps you simply need to look for a different kind of job. Rather than just casting spells blindly, understand the situation. "Know yourself and know your enemy, and you will not fear one hundred battles." - The Art of War.

3) Study and practice different things. There are many different kinds of spellcraft, many different kinds of spells and rituals. Different things work better for different people, so experiment. If candles and sigils don't work for you even after you make sure you're using them correctly, then try other things. Keep trying things until you find the thing that works for you, or until you find the reason that nothing really is. If nothing works at all, building your fundamental development is a good place to start - as you get stronger internally, you will be able to manifest that strength externally more easily. However, there are methods of spellcraft that do not require any personal power at all. It's up to you to choose your path, and walk it.

Napoli
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Napoli »

I have a leaning towards doing low magic like Hoodoo. However, I lack resources. I don't have the option to buy oils, crystals and herbs in my country. So, I am having to rely on my personal power alone. I am practising breathing exercises to increase my chi energy. I am not prepared to work with any spirits because of my health and lack of privacy. I long to be trained under direct mentoring from a teacher, but that won't be possible until some time.

To be honest, I look up to some members here on OF and the great occult practitioners I know about. I feel I am lagging behind a lot. The advice that I have received on this thread is not something I can get from books or websites. I am in my mid 20s and I doubt whether I will reach the adept level before my 40s. I guess I worry too much.
In my sword I trust.

- Ensiferum

Shinichi
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Shinichi »

Napoli wrote:I have a leaning towards doing low magic like Hoodoo. However, I lack resources. I don't have the option to buy oils, crystals and herbs in my country.
Improvise. The oils you find in a grocery store for cooking are often just as magical as anything found in a magic shop. Olive Oil, Sesame, Safflower. All of them have their own properties and magical applications. Buy a geology book and start a nice rock collection - people may think you're eccentric for liking rocks so much, but most of them won't suspect that you take some rocks and cast spells with them every now and then. The spices in your grocery store are herbs too, and many herbs can be grown in a small pot in a random window. Nobody has to know that when you make tea, you're quietly preparing a magical potion. Do you know how much spellcraft you can do with just Salt and Pepper?

There is a reason it is called Spell Craft. Instead of fantasizing about resources you do not have, learn how to use the resources that you do have.
Napoli wrote:To be honest, I look up to some members here on OF and the great occult practitioners I know about. I feel I am lagging behind a lot. The advice that I have received on this thread is not something I can get from books or websites. I am in my mid 20s and I doubt whether I will reach the adept level before my 40s. I guess I worry too much.
We're all behind someone, but that doesn't mean you're lagging. Regular diligent practice got us all where we are, and it will carry you far as well.

fraterai
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by fraterai »

Remember it's not a race to the finish. Some things take lifetimes to get passed. Folk magic and Hoodoo were and still are practiced by some of the most financially and privacy limited people, this is the best part about it. You don't need to buy special oils or herbs, chances are you have a cap full of cooking oil and some powerful herbs in your kitchen. Basil, cinnamon, and bay leaf are some you might have around as a little example of one of my favorites for speed, power, luck, wishes, etc. Think outside the box and use your creativity and stop putting all of these blocks on yourself :)

WillowDarkWytch
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by WillowDarkWytch »

Motumba Àse, Napoli
Napoli wrote:
Lack of self control. You're failing to control your emotions. Uncontrolled emotions won't let to "project" nor "direct" energy in a proper way.

Magic, specially "spells" or low/practical magic, work at astral level. Astral/psychic level is VERY MUCH conected to our emotions. So, entangled emotions means that you cannot direct your intent, so no magic effect, at least not the one spected.

Saravá
Idansi
"Kosi Ewe Kosi Orìṣà"
- Yoruba Tradition

"Water which is too pure has no fish"
- form the Ts'ai Ken T'an

"No enunciation of the Truth will ever be complete, no method of training will ever be suitable for all temperaments..."
- Dion Fortune

WillowDarkWytch
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by WillowDarkWytch »

Good article! She writes very good stuff. Liked it! :)

Though pepper and hot sauce might be used for love spells... or sex spells to be more specific. Not just defensive/ofensive spells. Ofcourse you need to use little amounts to give "spice" and not BURN LOL and be very clear on the purpose of the item used.

Saravá!
"Kosi Ewe Kosi Orìṣà"
- Yoruba Tradition

"Water which is too pure has no fish"
- form the Ts'ai Ken T'an

"No enunciation of the Truth will ever be complete, no method of training will ever be suitable for all temperaments..."
- Dion Fortune

CCoburn
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by CCoburn »

I am sorry to hear about your situation Napoli,

The next time I have a powerful altered state. I will try to send something good your way.

In the meantime, try to be positive, and believe in what you are doing.

Cornelius Coburn,
Peace
:)

Neither here nor there : CCoburn : The Road Scribe

Cerber

Post by Cerber »

The only "magic" I knew until now, experience and "practise" regularly is raw brutal willpower. But I can't do that whenever I feel like it, I need a strong trigger and usually a lot of negative emotion and it usually result in and used for total and utter destruction of something, or rather someone. At least I've never tried using it for something good and positive, not even sure where would I begin.
Is it even possible to trigger that rage-trance state by positive emotions?
Well at least I'm slightly better now and managing my emotions, after all I always have to pay for my deeds afterwards, and that can be a very expensive "hobby".

Caerdon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Caerdon »

Cerber wrote:The only "magic" I knew until now, experience and "practise" regularly is raw brutal willpower. But I can't do that whenever I feel like it, I need a strong trigger and usually a lot of negative emotion and it usually result in and used for total and utter destruction of something, or rather someone. At least I've never tried using it for something good and positive, not even sure where would I begin.
Is it even possible to trigger that rage-trance state by positive emotions?
Well at least I'm slightly better now and managing my emotions, after all I always have to pay for my deeds afterwards, and that can be a very expensive "hobby".
The strength of one extreme is always mirrored by another. There are many extreme emotions which can trigger the proper trance state to do things. Fear, anger, passion, certainty, pride... Basically, any stand alone emotion can trigger a state if you let it do so.

Also, there is righteous anger, which can be driven to a more... beneficial tide.
Time is but an illusion in perception and is only perceived to pass by at the same moments together for us all... which is, quite frankly, me saying to not expect from me in a timely manner!
-I am but a simple wanderer... Though I may be gone for immeasurable time, always do I return.

Cerber

Post by Cerber »

What would be an example of "righteous anger"?

cactusjack543
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by cactusjack543 »

i ponder at times a simple gambling loss of $5 and go to bed from look behind me with discust and say you all progress the planet....
Late legal legit landlord papeers.... Signed mianatlantian4-7-11-13-16-28-43-48-53-78-400-480-666-780-999-(1004.1017.4,000.17,000.40,000.48,000) - 4 univ (from below-shades of grey) buy out everything milk even gravity.... so far 4 univ, 4 galaxies, 4 solor systems, 4 respect galaxy, 4 irobot galaxy, 4 vurtual reality galaxy, 4 (i lack in most) galaxy, 4 black hole galaxy, eeven relating creates awareness mission exceptence too earn keep.... recognised people may have extra for....

Return to “Workings, Spells, Incantations and Rituals.”