"Magic words" using Pavlov's dog effect

Khazargo
Forum Member
Forum Member

"Magic words" using Pavlov's dog effect

Post by Khazargo »

Hi

Before all, let me explain what is Pavlov's dog effect for those who do not know. Essentially, pavlov was a scientist studying instrumental learning- he observed that every time the lab dog would see food, it would start secreting saliva.Then, every time the dog was fed, Pavlov would ring a bell. Over time, the dog would associate the bell with food and would secrete saliva whenever it was rung, even with no food around.

So how do you use this in magick? Well I've been working on an experiment of sorts. Entering a specific state or doing a specific action repeteadely while chanting a "magic word"- some archaic, unused word, so that when I say that word, I enter that state.

So far I have been succesful. Whenever I was in a state of complete relaxation, I would repeatedly say "calme", and eventually I was able to evoke that felling when I needed it. Other uses I came up with are: entering a trance,having focus for whatever is boring but you need to do, and one for willpower (such as when you know you can but don't want to do that one extra dumbbel lift or vacuuming)

chowderpope
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: "Magic words" using Pavlov's dog effect

Post by chowderpope »

Cool stuff. You can also use sounds, like ringing a bell. I started beginning ritual with a bell each time now, to mark the beginning and tell my lower and higher selves I'm doing a ritual.
Awake from sleep! Remember you're the son of a Great King, see to whom you're enslaved!

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

This is called an 'anchor' in self-hypnosis.

Shawn Blackwolf
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Shawn Blackwolf »

For me , it is speaking in my Tradition's old language , as well...

Not an unused word...just a language not spoken for everyday use...

Then there is tonality , timbre , and what we term magnetic voice...

The subconscious is also programmed by repetition , or reiteration... [wink]

Let me see if this site will take a voice file...nope...

I have recordings on another site...but it will not take one here...

Think though , of the "Bene Gesseret" Voice , in Dune...

chowderpope
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by chowderpope »

Shawn Blackwolf wrote: Let me see if this site will take a voice file...nope...

I have recordings on another site...but it will not take one here...
If you wanted you could set up a free account on soundcloud.com to share sound files pretty easily.
Awake from sleep! Remember you're the son of a Great King, see to whom you're enslaved!

WillowDarkWytch
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by WillowDarkWytch »

Motumbá Àse, Khazargo
Khazargo wrote:Hi

Before all, let me explain what is Pavlov's dog effect for those who do not know. Essentially, pavlov was a scientist studying instrumental learning- he observed that every time the lab dog would see food, it would start secreting saliva.Then, every time the dog was fed, Pavlov would ring a bell. Over time, the dog would associate the bell with food and would secrete saliva whenever it was rung, even with no food around.

So how do you use this in magick? Well I've been working on an experiment of sorts. Entering a specific state or doing a specific action repeteadely while chanting a "magic word"- some archaic, unused word, so that when I say that word, I enter that state.

So far I have been succesful. Whenever I was in a state of complete relaxation, I would repeatedly say "calme", and eventually I was able to evoke that felling when I needed it. Other uses I came up with are: entering a trance,having focus for whatever is boring but you need to do, and one for willpower (such as when you know you can but don't want to do that one extra dumbbel lift or vacuuming)
It is actually what happens we you do ritual magic, specially stuff like the G.'.D.'. training (LBRP, Middle Pillar and such). Firstly, it takes AGES to do the LBRP well, with all the visualization and "feeling" and "seeing" the things you're suppossed to, AND when you SEE and FEEL, when you mentally and spiritually have called the force you're invoking, you vibrate a Divine Name. You do it twice, even thrice or more times a day, for at least 40 days to 2 months... Then, it get's to a point that, what took you 20-40 minutes to accomplished, you now do it, perfectly in 5-10 minutes, or even less. Then you realize that by just "saying" (vibrating) the Divine Names, you actually get to the higher state and the forces actually activate in you Sensation Sphere... THAT'S the purpose of training, and repeating and doing it over and over and over again.

I don't usually work with ceremonial or G.'.D.'. stuff because of my ATR chosen path, BUT is part of my past, I have done it, it used to be my main working line (ceremonial and western ritual) and when I do the Qabalistic Cross, for example, my energy sphere grows and expands enormously! It's automatic.

So, I do think it's very much related to the Pavlov's effect there. Our psyche can be programmed and taught.

Saravá!
Idansi
"Kosi Ewe Kosi Orìṣà"
- Yoruba Tradition

"Water which is too pure has no fish"
- form the Ts'ai Ken T'an

"No enunciation of the Truth will ever be complete, no method of training will ever be suitable for all temperaments..."
- Dion Fortune

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

BTW, Isn't this pretty much the idea behind NLP? (Neuro-Linguistic-Programming).

Shawn Blackwolf
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Shawn Blackwolf »

Desecrated wrote:BTW, Isn't this pretty much the idea behind NLP? (Neuro-Linguistic-Programming).
Yes and no...

I knew Richard Bandler and his associate when they started NLP...

( I also know he used NLP to sway a courtroom , jury and judge , in Santa Cruz , Ca. , to get
out of a murder charge of him and / or a friend killing a prostitute , but that is a whole 'nother story )

NLP , is a feedback loop system , of questions and answers based on logic , and the frontal
brain , not the back of the brain trained by iteration / repetition , and subconscious programming...

It works much more on the conscious brain , , though if the same technique was repeated , with the
same person , over time , without altering the questions , and responses , I could see how it could
then fit that paradigm...however , as a person changed , their responses would change , so I would
state as I did...yes and no... [neutral2]

( However , later he incorporated more hypnosis into NLP , through his association with Erikson )

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Shawn Blackwolf wrote:
Desecrated wrote:BTW, Isn't this pretty much the idea behind NLP? (Neuro-Linguistic-Programming).
Yes and no...

It works much more on the conscious brain , ,
I think you are correct on that one. I agree with you on both.

Return to “Workings, Spells, Incantations and Rituals.”