Invocating augoeides Liber Null question

sirot
Forum Member
Forum Member

Invocating augoeides Liber Null question

Post by sirot »

I'm currently reading Liber Null & Psychonaut. About 48 pages into the book Carroll talks about invocating the augoeides. Which, I guess, is supposed to be your higher self. He doesn't really go into detail though. Does anyone have links to further reading on this subject? Or maybe some insight? I've googled it, but nothing really comes up.

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Re: Invocating augoeides Liber Null question

Post by Desecrated »

"Augoeides is an obscure term meaning "luminous body" and thought to refer to the planets. Aleister Crowley considered the term to refer to the Holy Guardian Angel of Abramelin; the Atman of Hinduism the Daemon of the ancient Greeks. Robert Lomas associates the term with the Higher Self or soul of the individual"

It appears that Porphyry used it and Thomas Taylor commented on it. The term is encountered in the literature of Neo-Platonic theurgy and was popularized in the 19th and 20th centuries by the Theosophists, Freemasons, and the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn.

To quote Thomas Taylor's comment on Porphyry:

We are afterwards sent through ample Elysium, and a few of us possess the joyful plains: till a long period, when the revolving orb of time has perfected its circulation, frees the soul from its concrete stains, and leaves the etherial sense pure, together with the fire (or splendour) of simple ether." For here he evidently conjoins the rational soul, or the etherial sense, with its splendid vehicle, or the fire of simple ether; since it is well known that this vehicle, according to Plato, is rendered by proper purgation 'augoeides', or luciform, and divine. It must here however be observed that souls in these meadows of asphodel, or summit of Pluto's empire, are in a falling state; or in other words through the secret influx of matter begin to desire a terrene situation. And this explains the reason why Hercules in the infernal regions is represented by Homer boasting of his terrene exploits and glorying in his pristine valour; why Achilles laments his situation in these abodes; and souls in general are engaged in pursuits similar to their employment on the earth: for all this is the natural consequence of a propensity to a mortal nature, and a desertion of the regions every way lucid and divine. Let the reader too observe, that, according to the arcana of the Platonic doctrine, the first and truest seat of the soul is in the intelligible world, where she lives entirely divested of body, and enjoys the ultimate felicity of her nature. And this is what Homer divinely insinuates when he says: "after this I saw the Herculean power, or image: but Hercules himself is with the immortal gods, delighting in celestial banquets, and enjoying the beautiful-footed Hebe." Since for the soul to dwell with the gods, entirely separated from its vehicle, is to abide in the intelligible world, and to exercise, as Plotinus expresses it, the more sacred contests of wisdom.

To quote H.P. Blavatsky:

The most substantial difference consisted in the location of the immortal or divine spirit of man. While the ancient Neoplatonists held that the Augoeides never descends hypostatically into the living man, but only more or less sheds its radiance on the inner man – the astral soul – the Kabalists of the Middle Ages maintained that the spirit, detaching itself from the ocean of light and spirit, entered into man's soul, where it remained through life imprisoned in the astral capsule. This difference was the result of the belief of Christian Kabalists, more or less, in the dead letter of the allegory of the fall of man.

References

Lomas, Robert. The Secret Science of Masonic Initiation. San Francisco: Weiser, 2010, pp.

The Secret Science of Masonic Initiation. 2010.
The New Encyclopedia of the Occult. 2005.
Do What Thou Wilt: A Life of Aleister Crowley. 2000.

https://web.archive.org/web/20060118085 ... phyry.html
https://web.archive.org/web/20051123012 ... iemons.htm

Boomerang
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Boomerang »

One of the largest Religious followings on the planet holds great store and belief in the " Guardian Angel "
Is this " light " that is referred to, not just that,
An outside influence outside of, but about us.

sirot
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by sirot »

Desecrated wrote:"Augoeides is an obscure term meaning "luminous body" and thought to refer to the planets. Aleister Crowley considered the term to refer to the Holy Guardian Angel of Abramelin; the Atman of Hinduism the Daemon of the ancient Greeks. Robert Lomas associates the term with the Higher Self or soul of the individual"

It appears that Porphyry used it and Thomas Taylor commented on it. The term is encountered in the literature of Neo-Platonic theurgy and was popularized in the 19th and 20th centuries by the Theosophists, Freemasons, and the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn.

To quote Thomas Taylor's comment on Porphyry:

We are afterwards sent through ample Elysium, and a few of us possess the joyful plains: till a long period, when the revolving orb of time has perfected its circulation, frees the soul from its concrete stains, and leaves the etherial sense pure, together with the fire (or splendour) of simple ether." For here he evidently conjoins the rational soul, or the etherial sense, with its splendid vehicle, or the fire of simple ether; since it is well known that this vehicle, according to Plato, is rendered by proper purgation 'augoeides', or luciform, and divine. It must here however be observed that souls in these meadows of asphodel, or summit of Pluto's empire, are in a falling state; or in other words through the secret influx of matter begin to desire a terrene situation. And this explains the reason why Hercules in the infernal regions is represented by Homer boasting of his terrene exploits and glorying in his pristine valour; why Achilles laments his situation in these abodes; and souls in general are engaged in pursuits similar to their employment on the earth: for all this is the natural consequence of a propensity to a mortal nature, and a desertion of the regions every way lucid and divine. Let the reader too observe, that, according to the arcana of the Platonic doctrine, the first and truest seat of the soul is in the intelligible world, where she lives entirely divested of body, and enjoys the ultimate felicity of her nature. And this is what Homer divinely insinuates when he says: "after this I saw the Herculean power, or image: but Hercules himself is with the immortal gods, delighting in celestial banquets, and enjoying the beautiful-footed Hebe." Since for the soul to dwell with the gods, entirely separated from its vehicle, is to abide in the intelligible world, and to exercise, as Plotinus expresses it, the more sacred contests of wisdom.

To quote H.P. Blavatsky:

The most substantial difference consisted in the location of the immortal or divine spirit of man. While the ancient Neoplatonists held that the Augoeides never descends hypostatically into the living man, but only more or less sheds its radiance on the inner man – the astral soul – the Kabalists of the Middle Ages maintained that the spirit, detaching itself from the ocean of light and spirit, entered into man's soul, where it remained through life imprisoned in the astral capsule. This difference was the result of the belief of Christian Kabalists, more or less, in the dead letter of the allegory of the fall of man.

References

Lomas, Robert. The Secret Science of Masonic Initiation. San Francisco: Weiser, 2010, pp.

The Secret Science of Masonic Initiation. 2010.
The New Encyclopedia of the Occult. 2005.
Do What Thou Wilt: A Life of Aleister Crowley. 2000.

https://web.archive.org/web/20060118085 ... phyry.html
https://web.archive.org/web/20051123012 ... iemons.htm
Thanks for the information. You should write a book or something, you seem to know everything.

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

sirot wrote: You should write a book or something, you seem to know everything.
The only thing I know is how to use google effectively. :)

sirot
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by sirot »

Desecrated wrote:
[sadface] ouch

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

sirot wrote:
Desecrated wrote:
[sadface] ouch
It's actually a bit of a skill today. Because google uses code to individualize itself, it looks differently to everyone. So to get the information you really need you have to know your way around their coding.

CCoburn
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by CCoburn »

In some instances you need to also be wary of the sources provided by Google, as there are those who will trace your acquisitions and criticize them. Although it's extremely rare, but interesting to observe.(when it's someone else)

Neither here nor there : CCoburn : The Road Scribe

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Spida wrote:
In some instances you need to also be wary of the sources provided by Google, as there are those who will trace your acquisitions and criticize them. Although it's extremely rare, but interesting to observe.(when it's someone else)
Yes. that is why I included sources to back up the claims.

But in the past I've quoted information I've found via google and it turned out to be false information, and thankfully I was corrected by people who knew more then me.
The individual should always confirm information found on the internet, even if it comes from a somewhat reputable source.

CCoburn
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by CCoburn »

I want to say that(merely an observation) the particular circumstance that I speak of, a so-called individual appeared to exhibit variations in adeptness leading me to believe it was more than one person assigned to an Avatar. A Coven of Witches perhaps, however silly that may sound. Or something along those lines.

Maybe it's trivial, and I shouldn't have mentioned it. Plus I could also be wrong I suppose.

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Spida wrote:
I want to say that(merely an observation) the particular circumstance that I speak of, a so-called individual appeared to exhibit variations in adeptness leading me to believe it was more than one person assigned to an Avatar. A Coven of Witches perhaps, however silly that may sound. Or something along those lines.

Maybe it's trivial, and I shouldn't have mentioned it. Plus I could also be wrong I suppose.
I've never heard of several individuals sharing one username, it's more likely to see one individual with several puppet accounts on forums. But nothing surprises me anymore, I'm sure trolling that way would be fun for some groups.

Cerber

Post by Cerber »

Spida wrote:

Or maybe you are just paranoid, some individuals can demonstrate "different levels of adeptness" depending on the mood, time of day and other circumstances. Maybe you are just seeing many where there is one due to your own limitations

CCoburn
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by CCoburn »

Cerber wrote:Or maybe you are just paranoid, some individuals can demonstrate "different levels of adeptness" depending on the mood, time of day and other circumstances. Maybe you are just seeing many where there is one due to your own limitations
It's not the kind of thing that warrants paranoia, it's merely a casual observation. I understand though that once you actually mention a "thought" more weight is automatically assigned to it. But in the same context and relevant here is that I have also on a couple occasions seen the word "us" used when it should have been "I" or "me". Which further solidifies my thinking, and could also even be a "dead giveaway"

Having said that though, I think your conclusion is reasonable since I have also thought that on numerous occasions.

May get in trouble here for staying off course for too long. That will be enough on that.

Cerber

Post by Cerber »

I assume you prefer to make your own assumptions instead going around asking for clarifications. Yes one way of doing things I guess

CCoburn
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by CCoburn »

Cerber wrote:I assume you prefer to make your own assumptions instead going around asking for clarifications. Yes one way of doing things I guess
That's not so easy when you are dealing with someone who seldom gives a straight answer, but instead talks in riddles and ambiguities, and also employs avoidance as a technique. Ignoring things; not wanting to answer. So assumptions, and more often presumptions are necessary.

That's my last comment on that.

Cerber

Post by Cerber »

As you prefer

CCoburn
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by CCoburn »

Very good then.