Whatcha reading?

General conversation and mundane matters.

Lothbrook
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Whatcha reading?

Post by Lothbrook »

Ive been working on Lee Child's books in the Jack Reacher series, they are very addicting and good

Tiaden
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Tiaden »

I just finished Delirium by J.F Penn and absolutely loved it. Next up I have a Theme-thology which is an anthology curated by Charles Barouch. After that I can't remember! lol
Away dancing in the shadows with the tricksters ;-)

Frumens
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Frumens »

1. Self-Liberation Through Seeing With Naked Awareness

2. Uddhava Gita

After these two I plan on reading...

3. The Nature of Man According to Vedanta
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔

EternalReturn
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by EternalReturn »

Wilhelm Reich - Genitality in the Theory and Therapy of Neurosis

Cybernetic_Jazz
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Cybernetic_Jazz »

almost finished with 'Names and Images' by Peregrin Wildoak. Probably the most concise Golden Dawn book I've read so far and very well detailed also.

It's got me thinking of what I might nominate if I were to....oh....give a friend who knows nothing about this stuff a book that describes the heart and soul of this stuff and does so in fewer pages than MP Hall's Secret Teaching's or 'Unknown Author' (VT)'s book 'Meditations on the Tarot'. Names and Images, as far as Golden Dawn is concerned, might be my top contender right now albeit I don't know what it would be like to read it with very little knowledge of doctrinal mysticism/Qabalah/etc.
You don't have to do a thing perfect, just relentlessly.

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

I'm rereading The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli.

Wow,but that shit is still so relevant today. [crazy] [evil]
"He lived his words, spoke his own actions and his story and the story of the world ran parallel."

Sartre speaking of Che Guevara.

Shamash
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Shamash »

I've started reading the Pistis Sophia about a week ago and I'm pretty much done. After that I'm going to read the Nag Hammadi scriptures. I've already read a few of them (The Gospel of Thomas; Exegesis On The Soul; Thunder, Perfect Mind; and The Prayer Of The Apostle Paul) and they were incredibly interesting.

Ušušur
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Ušušur »

Jan Fries - Visual Magick: A manual of freestyle shamanism

Easy to read, practical. The author doesn't take himself too seriously, and doesn't beat around the bush - it's pretty straightforward and contains a lot of useful info. (got a recommendation on author here on OF - thanks for that)

Cybernetic_Jazz
Forum Member
Forum Member

I just finished By Names and Images and started reading The True and Invisible Rosicrucian Order by Paul Foster Case. He gets heavy with the gematria early which is neat.

I also went on Amazon and bought a couple other things The Thursday Night Tarot which seems like its pretty well BOTA-affiliated in content, and The Path of Alchemy by Mark Stavish - a guy whose name I've seen around and I heard him drop some real interesting suggestions also in a recent interview as to some of the problems in the current esoteric world so I'd love to pour over his knowledge as well as see how much much of his differentiating his stuff from the herd is genuine or unique insight vs. just building a brand and differentiating it for that purpose. I'm still quite new to all of this so I like to triangulate as many highly educated opinions as I can.

dreamshards8
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by dreamshards8 »

I have so much reading going on at the moment. I am reviewing Hands on Chaos Magic by Andrieh Vitimus. I am in Culinary School so am in the middle of a.food food books, including The Great Meat Book and The New Nordic Cuisine of Iceland. I am also reading The Golden Compass by Phillip Pullman to my son.

Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by 420 »

Hecate's Fountain by Kenneth Grant.
Free or drug free? America can't be both!

DozingGreen
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by DozingGreen »

Magick in theory and practice by Crowley... I should have read it along time ago but when I was younger I was on a do gooder white magick kick and didn't think anything from the left could apply to me. Now that I read it I realize I was sadly mistaken.
"To live is to suffer,To survive is to find some meaning in the suffering"
-Friedrich Nietzsche

Cybernetic_Jazz
Forum Member
Forum Member

Finished about 60% of Viktor Frankle's 'Man's Search For Meaning'. Got through his concentration camp story and analysis, just started on the logotherapy part of the book.

Cybernetic_Jazz
Forum Member
Forum Member

On enough glowing reviews from other members I picked up the Kindle version of Liber Null/Psychonaut to see what it's all about - in the back 30% now and so far so good. I really find the pagan/naturalist view of mystic panentheism highly educational because it helps me get a well evolved or developed viewpoint from outside the Judao-Christian approach to the mysteries; that in turn helps me weed-out arbitrary beliefs or biases that I held either unknowingly as childhood deposits or from lack of awareness of better options. Additionally it has some great information offered on the metaphysics of spiritual energy (Chaos as the book puts it) and I'll definitely say I've learned some things.

Also considering reading some of Oliver St. John's stuff as I remember having a curiosity regarding Ordo Astri.

At present I've also got Manly P Hall's Self Unfoldment by Discipline of Realization coming by mail - really looking forward to a how-to book by one of my favorite thinkers and scholars/historians of the 20th century.

Cybernetic_Jazz
Forum Member
Forum Member

Half way through Kali Kaula by Jan Fries (my first book read by him - sharp guy, great research and sense of humor), took a momentary break to read MP Hall's Self-Unfoldment by Discipline of Realization, read eleven of twelve chapters so far and its one of a kind in terms of being an MP Hall DIY spirituality book. That book also had a strong recommendation for reading AP Sinnett's Esoteric Buddhism - so, I took a break within MP Hall's book to read as far as I could in that, up to I think chapter 8 (very Theosophic in flavor but highly educational), I'll be hopefully finishing that tonight, will finish Self Unfoldment, and then work on finishing Kali Kaula.

Draco20
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Draco20 »

Right now I am reading Under The Dome by Stephen King. I gotta say it's exciting to read, action-packed, a page-turner basically. What's wrong with this town, what is that weird Dome popping out of nowhere? Lots of mysteries. Yes, I did watched the first two seasons of the CBS TV show, but it's just not the same thing at all. I would say the TV show is but loosely based on the book. Great read so far.

EternalReturn
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by EternalReturn »

Neil Gaiman and Terry Prattchett - Good Omens

Not the best what they can do but nonetheless good. [thumbup]

Cybernetic_Jazz
Forum Member
Forum Member

I finished Robert Wang's Qabalistic Tarot a few weeks ago - awesome book, highly recommended.

Presently I'm picking at A suggestive Inquiry Into the Hermetic Tradition by Mary Ann Atwood, very heavy schlepping and I'm taking my time to meditate on what I read.

Also just started today on an audio version of Bonhoeffer by Eric Metaxas - so far really interesting.

Shamash
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Shamash »

I'm currently finishing up The Brothers Karamazov.

I'm thinking about getting a copy of Thee Psychick Bible by Genesis P-Orridge. Can anyone here tell me if it's worth a read? I checked out the preview on Amazon and it was very interesting, though it did make me upset about the Temple no longer existing. Some parts were also illegible to me.

minervajane
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by minervajane »

Tibetan Book of the Dead and Life After Life by Raymond Moody just came in the mail:)
"Of the two of us, you are the one who is blind . . .blinded by what you see."
-the Blind Man

Yex
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Yex »

I'm currently reading Storming Heaven: LSD and the American Dream by Jay Stevens. It's a nonfiction account of the cultural history of psychedelics, primarily in the 20th century. The whole first section of it, about a quarter of the book, was about the intellectual interest in LSD for the purpose of therapy as well as spiritual pursuits that blossomed in the 50s. That part was really interesting to me, being an area that I previously had only very limited knowledge of, and I could easily read a whole volume on just that topic alone. Now it's moved on to talking about the Beats and the 50s counterculture, which will presumably segue into the psychedelic revolution of the 60s. The writing style flows well and I'm moving through it pretty quickly.
"love is the whole and more than all" - ee cummings

"Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings" - Robert Hunter, as sung by Jerry Garcia and the Grateful Dead

Cybernetic_Jazz
Forum Member
Forum Member

Right now starting the Magick section of Gems of the Equinox.

Bought Golden Chain of Homer on Amazon - waiting for that to come.

While I'm waiting, after finishing Gems, I hope to actually read the Cicero's Self-Initiation Into the Golden Dawn cover to cover, maybe even taking on the Black Brick if I'm feeling lucky.

I've got reasons for this - mainly wanting to sort out how I feel about each stream (Rosicrucian and Thelemic) in a practical sense and whether both streams have what I need.

CCoburn
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by CCoburn »

The Secret Doctrine volumes 1 and 2

- H.P. Blavatsky

Neither here nor there : CCoburn : The Road Scribe

Stukov
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Stukov »

Nahemah wrote:I'm rereading The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli.

Wow,but that shit is still so relevant today. [crazy] [evil]
You would like the 48 Laws of Power as well.
I am the Watcher.
I am the Wanderer.
I am the Whisper.
I am the Warden.
I am the Weaver.

Draco20
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Draco20 »

minervajane wrote:Tibetan Book of the Dead and Life After Life by Raymond Moody just came in the mail:)
I was at a secondhand book sale a few months ago and there was like 5 copies of Life After Life by Raymond Moody available. That book is
litterally everywhere on the web, in used bookstores ect and pretty much everyone intested in spiritualism will have read it at some point.

It's a great classic to get started on the NDE phenomenon. BTW, I got my 1$ paperback copy. [thumbup]

Return to “Off-Topic”