Addictions

General conversation and mundane matters.

शक्ति
Forum Member
Forum Member

Addictions

Post by शक्ति »

Which form of an addiction do you consider the worst and why ?

Cerber

Re: Addictions

Post by Cerber »

शक्ति wrote:Which form of an addiction do you consider the worst and why ?
Alcoholism- it destroys body, mind and soul, damage not just the person but those around it. And it's a bit personal, because had to grow up with an alcoholic person in the house.

शक्ति
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by शक्ति »

Grateful to you for your sincere reply .

Cerber

Post by Cerber »

You forgot to write which one is your "favourite"

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Food.

Because it's easy to quit drugs and alcohol, you just stop.
But you have to continue eating food, you can't just stop it, so it's all about control. And if you have an addictive personality, control is probably the one thing you lack.

And this is not just an opinion. There are more fat people than drugusers.

शक्ति
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by शक्ति »

Cerber, my "fav", which scares me to death is the addiction from people , whether becoming dependent on a psychologist, a guru, a parent, a husband or a wife, or a friend or a pet... It is very hard for me to see the border between healthy caring dependence and unhealthy dependent relationships. Well maybe I can see that border but very often I cross that, or the other person crosses and it makes my life a mess... So I consider dependence on people the worst. Still working on myself to balance this field in my life. The biggest issue in the dependence from people for me is that I lose myself in the other person. Sounds scary I know. And when I am on my own I find myself again and am able to live even fulfilled than around any special person in my life.

I anticipate you, as my parent was suffering from a form of alcoholism, and the only solution for me was to move out. I guess it was hell /alcoholism/ for my parent.

Desecrated, I suffered from bulimia and was over weighted, so I can't not agree that it was hell. By non-directed fasting and reading a lot on natural hygiene books I was able to overcome that problem. Even today I do fasting for up to 10 days /keeping water early in the morning and sometimes a table spoon of honey/, it supports to the growth of my spirit also. So I have discovered a nice way out of this trap. What I can't say about the first addiction described by me above.

Cerber

Post by Cerber »

I think we and those astral leaches have more in common than we dare to admit. Intentionally or unintentionally we sometimes start feeding of each other and get addicted.
But I was lucky to find somebody like my self many years ago with whom I managed to develop deep spiritual connection without leaching and through which we can share energies when and if needed but that's conscious decision. So I kind of have a model I can use as a reference although have doubts I can ever reproduce that with anybody ever again.

शक्ति
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by शक्ति »

Your answer maybe the clue to my problem. I need to learn to protect myself on the astral plane if it is possible of course :))

Cerber

Post by Cerber »

I guess so, in some way protect your self from others trying to leach on to you, and at the same time exercise self control not to get too attached to somebody else.

शक्ति
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by शक्ति »

Easy said, in reality is a hell to go through ... any books, resources, methods ?

Cerber

Post by Cerber »

No idea if there is any, everything I know is trial and error way of learning.

Cerber

Post by Cerber »

But I do believe it would require somebody special, somebody able and willing to be completely open and trusting while receiving the same total trust and openness from you. No dark corners, no locked closets for any shadows to hide and mess around. At least I can't imagine any other way that would not require that kind of foundations. For a deeper non-abusive connection that is. That might not be what you are after.

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

शक्ति wrote:Cerber, my "fav", which scares me to death is the addiction from people , whether becoming dependent on a psychologist, a guru, a parent, a husband or a wife, or a friend or a pet... It is very hard for me to see the border between healthy caring dependence and unhealthy dependent relationships.
Both my parents died at a young age and I had trouble with relationships to older people when I was younger (teens and twenties). Every time I meet someone older that could potentially be a good friend, I instead put them on a pedestal and saw them as parents figures.

Being aware of this prevented me from doing so later in life and I think that is the overall solution as well. Being aware that you have these character traits and stop them BEFORE they become an addiction.

Desecrated, I suffered from bulimia and was over weighted, so I can't not agree that it was hell. By non-directed fasting and reading a lot on natural hygiene books I was able to overcome that problem. Even today I do fasting for up to 10 days /keeping water early in the morning and sometimes a table spoon of honey/, it supports to the growth of my spirit also. So I have discovered a nice way out of this trap. What I can't say about the first addiction described by me above.
That is great for you. But in general people have more trouble with food than with drugs. Just looking at the statistics. But there are of course anecdotal evidences of people struggling the other way.

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

शक्ति wrote:any books, resources, methods ?
http://www.occultforum.org/forum/viewto ... 8&p=517865

शक्ति
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by शक्ति »

This coming week I'll be busy with reading... thank you so much!!

From my side would suggest "Motivational Interviewing" by Miller & Rollnick, a very useful book for supporting someone who seeks for encouragement and practical skills in solving the issue of ambivalence and deciding to change any behavior which finds harmful. This method was used in health care by professionals, latest edditions became useful even for individuals who are for self-support.

Return to “Off-Topic”