The biggest cause of suffering today

General conversation and mundane matters.

inMalkuth
Forum Member
Forum Member

The biggest cause of suffering today

Post by inMalkuth »

The biggest cause of suffering in the world today is the lack of respect for community.

Cerber

Re: The biggest cause of suffering today

Post by Cerber »

inMalkuth wrote:The biggest cause of suffering in the world today is the lack of respect for community.
I thought it's inequality and few other things, like war etc

violetstar
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by violetstar »

inMalkuth wrote:The biggest cause of suffering in the world today is the lack of respect for community.
What has this mundane question to do with a Modern Magic thread on an Occult forum?
Woe if I reveal,Woe if I do not reveal...

inMalkuth
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by inMalkuth »

violetstar wrote:
What has this mundane question to do with a Modern Magic thread on an Occult forum?
Its simple really. The study of all of this is the study of nature, man, and God. A simple examination of what local Gods there are will reveal why this statement holds true. A simple examination of how mankind manages to succeed will reveal it also. If the reason you practice magick is to gain wealth, power or immortality... at all costs; then maybe this idea will elude you. Personally, I am not that way.

CCoburn
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by CCoburn »

inMalkuth wrote:
violetstar wrote:
Its simple really. The study of all of this is the study of nature, man, and God. A simple examination of what local Gods there are will reveal why this statement holds true. A simple examination of how mankind manages to succeed will reveal it also. If the reason you practice magick is to gain wealth, power or immortality... at all costs; then maybe this idea will elude you. Personally, I am not that way.

VS is right. This thread title, as the above text is more akin to something along the lines of "God and the problem of suffering". This is of a Philosophical nature, and would be better suited in the "Reason and unreason" category.

Neither here nor there : CCoburn : The Road Scribe

inMalkuth
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by inMalkuth »

I suppose it depends on what system of magick you study. In my view, there is only one system of magick, and it is obvious from reading about it that community is an important part of any magickal endeavor.

Shawn Blackwolf
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Shawn Blackwolf »

No. And No.

Cerber

Post by Cerber »

inMalkuth wrote:I suppose it depends on what system of magick you study. In my view, there is only one system of magick, and it is obvious from reading about it that community is an important part of any magickal endeavor.
It doesn't make sense. "Depends on the system.." .. "there is only one system.." ?!?

Stukov
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Stukov »

Moved to Off Topic, please don't just spam 1 line statements in random forums. Keep the topic you make pertinent to the section. I'm going to let this thread stay up, but in the future if you make a single line post, that is just a random statement, no question or attempt to provide more information/context, I'm going to straight up delete it.
I am the Watcher.
I am the Wanderer.
I am the Whisper.
I am the Warden.
I am the Weaver.

inMalkuth
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by inMalkuth »

I apologize. In my view this is the ultimate statement of understanding that is the goal of spiritual magick. I thought it too important to not say, and so I simple put it in one phrase. A lot of my posts have been consideration of this idea, and if I could turn it all into one thread, this would be the summation to this point.

I could break it down this way:

Birth>senses>self>awareness>sight>recognition>me>you>we=all

Self>Satan>Chaos>demons>emergence>order>Law=community

chowderpope
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by chowderpope »

seems like youre just full on trolling now
Awake from sleep! Remember you're the son of a Great King, see to whom you're enslaved!

Stukov
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Stukov »

inMalkuth wrote:I apologize. In my view this is the ultimate statement of understanding that is the goal of spiritual magick. I thought it too important to not say, and so I simple put it in one phrase. A lot of my posts have been consideration of this idea, and if I could turn it all into one thread, this would be the summation to this point.

I could break it down this way:

Birth>senses>self>awareness>sight>recognition>me>you>we=all

Self>Satan>Chaos>demons>emergence>order>Law=community
Then next time say all that, a single sentence without any context or question doesn't help this community.
I am the Watcher.
I am the Wanderer.
I am the Whisper.
I am the Warden.
I am the Weaver.

Mr. Fenrir
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Mr. Fenrir »

I think the biggest cause of suffering today is idiocy and not thinking ahead.

inMalkuth
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by inMalkuth »

or maybe that people are unwilling to do any of the thinking themselves.

inMalkuth
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by inMalkuth »

Another cause of suffering is the chaotic way that we individually manifest ourselves in light of our own personal Gods.

DWilke
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by DWilke »

So to your point on suffering and it being a result of lack of respect for the community. I feel you are getting somewhere extremely personal for me. Lately there have been studies done on specifically war veterans with mental trauma (but its not a far stretch to apply the findings to others) and how well they do or don't do once they separate and come back to civilian life. One of the biggest things found out about those who did not do well was a lack of community. Now on a personal note when I came back I was living with undiagnosed PTSD, I had no community and as such turned to drugs to attempt to escape, this period of my life was horrible and I suffered much. When people loose respect for the idea of community it allows people like myself and others to simply put flounder and fail. When we don't respect even the idea of community we don't care about the other people living in said community. I firmly believe this idea is why we (in the USA anyway) see an increase in mental illness, substance abuse, and yes even acts of violence.
" And where we had thought to find an abomination, we shall find a god..." -Joseph Campbell

Stukov
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Stukov »

DWilke wrote:So to your point on suffering and it being a result of lack of respect for the community. I feel you are getting somewhere extremely personal for me. Lately there have been studies done on specifically war veterans with mental trauma (but its not a far stretch to apply the findings to others) and how well they do or don't do once they separate and come back to civilian life. One of the biggest things found out about those who did not do well was a lack of community. Now on a personal note when I came back I was living with undiagnosed PTSD, I had no community and as such turned to drugs to attempt to escape, this period of my life was horrible and I suffered much. When people loose respect for the idea of community it allows people like myself and others to simply put flounder and fail. When we don't respect even the idea of community we don't care about the other people living in said community. I firmly believe this idea is why we (in the USA anyway) see an increase in mental illness, substance abuse, and yes even acts of violence.

They were someone who made posts like this because they were trolling and antagonizing the community. They were eventually banned.
I am the Watcher.
I am the Wanderer.
I am the Whisper.
I am the Warden.
I am the Weaver.

DWilke
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by DWilke »

Well forgive me for feeding the troll. I felt at least the initial claim held some water and felt I had experience that could contribute.
" And where we had thought to find an abomination, we shall find a god..." -Joseph Campbell

bathtub-alchemist
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by bathtub-alchemist »

I'm pretty sure this is a buddhist philosophy, but I always agreed that desire and attachment were the biggest causes of suffering

Cerber

Post by Cerber »

Stukov wrote: They were someone who made posts like this because they were trolling and antagonizing the community. They were eventually banned.
Where is it now? That community you are talking about, the one you were so fiercely protecting from the horrors of ignorance?

Jastiv
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Jastiv »

Buddha said that desire was the cause of suffering, I'm going to invert that statement. The LACK of desire is the cause of suffering. That is a good statement. It explains why sometimes rich people are so miserable (like Buddha was) and also why people who just give up on life seem so miserable, because they gave in and accepted they couldn't have certain things they so desperately wanted.
And no, this isn't some philosophy I made up cause I read it in a book, this is a hard won philosophy gotten from personal experience. Anyone saying stuff about community this and that is putting too much stock communities, or even a specific community. Communities are important, however, my statement is far more basic and makes more sense.

Return to “Off-Topic”