How do you guys balance practicing magick and work?

General conversation and mundane matters.

Bobertt
Forum Member
Forum Member

How do you guys balance practicing magick and work?

Post by Bobertt »

I was curious how many of you guys have full time jobs and find the time to seriously practice magick. If you do how do you balance it? Or do you guys have a part time job, or dedicate your lives fully to practicing and find temporary jobs when you can? For me the jobs that pay enough for me to afford what i need dont give me enough time to live my life while the ones that give enough time dont cover the bills.

Cerber

Re: How do you guys balance practicing magick and work?

Post by Cerber »

Bobertt wrote:I was curious how many of you guys have full time jobs and find the time to seriously practice magick. If you do how do you balance it? Or do you guys have a part time job, or dedicate your lives fully to practicing and find temporary jobs when you can? For me the jobs that pay enough for me to afford what i need dont give me enough time to live my life while the ones that give enough time dont cover the bills.
What do you mean by "practice magick"?

CCoburn
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by CCoburn »

I would say anyone that works 40+ Hours a Week is a hard core Member of the 'System' ! Plus if you own an older Home like I do and are responsible for everything, as opposed to Renting/Leasing. With various things that need repairing or replacing continually, and periodically over time this can be quite an added time drain as well ! So how motivated you are as an individual is certainly a factor !

So free time to do anything outside of what is required is the issue, whether it be "Practical Magic", or any other Hobby or Leisurely Activity. One needs to get some relief from the 'System' in order to partake in some of the more time consuming activities, lest they be busy 'round the Clock while not Sleeping. Which is a way of life for some, but even the most motivated may simply run out of time by trying to do too much, we basically have 16 Waking Hours a day to get done what we need, and then want !

I have actually had to drop a couple hobbies over the Years because of this, e.g. Computer Programming, Guitar(maybe could still fit this in if I really wanted). I think I only mowed the lawn twice last year, but I didn't have a problem with the way it looked. Time is, and will always be an issue ! Most certainly for the..
Synonymous with the...
There are even some Conspiracy Theories within this context as well, but this is enough for now !

Neither here nor there : CCoburn : The Road Scribe

Jastiv
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Jastiv »

Well, fun times now, with the virus the system has been forced to take a break. Time to really ramp up the occult practice and create the life you always dreamed of having.

Anyway, if you have a good effective practice, it need not be a time consuming all consuming endeavor, the key is to have a practice that is effective, not chanting mantra all day to get nowhere or hours of meditation where you are just distracted. There are shortcuts, you just have to know them to use the effectively. Every time I read this type of stuff, I'm like how are people wasting time these days to get nowhere?

himantand
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by himantand »

Actually it's kinda hard to find time for practicing if you have a job like mine but at least I can study it in my free times. I'm reading a book or listening a podcast while going to work. I'm traveling a lot as a part of my job and can't carry all my equipment with me all the time so just taking a book and reading it on the plane. I don't complain though, sometimes I fly to, let's say Lisbon, to prepare an expertise report on a random house in Portugal, and during my stay I'm spending a lot of time for visiting different occult shops and purchasing interesting tools and materials.

Impudicus
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Impudicus »

The best part of owning your own business is getting to choose which 60 hours of the week you want to work.

Assuming you're working a normal 40, 8 hours a day 5 days a week, you have 16 hours a day to work on other stuff. A sample time budget that allows for one hour of meal preparation and two hours to commute, eight hours of sleep... Behold! Five hours a day to do anything you please. If you can't find the time it's because you don't want to find it.

LoD
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by LoD »

Ave,

I found the question by Cerber very good: What do you mean by "practice magick"?

To comment, I work 40+ hours a week and have a job with quite a lot of responsibility... doesn´t mean I do not "practice", depending on your definition of that. I´ve read and studied many Grimoires and other texts to do with the theory and practice of magic, the occult, and have found that most of the rituals desscribed in such tomes are, to put it bluntly, unnecessarily complicated and cumbersome. I mean, so I have to go out and kill a unicorn, then use it´s horn to sacrifice a three-legged lamb whilst smearing my chest with the blood of a virgin... seriously, try finding a virgin these days!
I do believe in the whole concept of "psychodrama" and the effects performing rituals can have on the psyche and thus the outcome of the ritual, yes. However, I "practice" my take on magic throughout the entire day... it´s in my mind and my will influences the outcome of my wishes or desires... when I do have the opportunity, I obviously try to widen my horizon and improve my knowledge by studying books or documents that interest me. I´ve actually just yesterday ordered 3 new books and look forward to reading them.

Take care and stay out of trouble,

LoD
If I´m right for the wrong reasons, does that still make me right?

Disconnect... and self destruct... one bullet at a time... what's your rush now... everyone will have his day to die

Cerber

Post by Cerber »

LoD wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:06 am Ave,

I found the question by Cerber very good: What do you mean by "practice magick"?

To comment, I work 40+ hours a week and have a job with quite a lot of responsibility... doesn´t mean I do not "practice", depending on your definition of that. I´ve read and studied many Grimoires and other texts to do with the theory and practice of magic, the occult, and have found that most of the rituals desscribed in such tomes are, to put it bluntly, unnecessarily complicated and cumbersome. I mean, so I have to go out and kill a unicorn, then use it´s horn to sacrifice a three-legged lamb whilst smearing my chest with the blood of a virgin... seriously, try finding a virgin these days!
I do believe in the whole concept of "psychodrama" and the effects performing rituals can have on the psyche and thus the outcome of the ritual, yes. However, I "practice" my take on magic throughout the entire day... it´s in my mind and my will influences the outcome of my wishes or desires... when I do have the opportunity, I obviously try to widen my horizon and improve my knowledge by studying books or documents that interest me. I´ve actually just yesterday ordered 3 new books and look forward to reading them.

Take care and stay out of trouble,

LoD
Indeed. Depends on personal definition of "practice", how narrow or wide is one's idea of magic. There are certain practices I'd do while standing 12h shift at production line in a factory, some other practices, even meditations while taking a ride on the bus or train. Other "practices" would take on couple minutes here and there before sleep, or after leaving home, and so on. The world is your oyster

Return to “Off-Topic”