Do any of you play RPG games?

General conversation and mundane matters.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Occult Forum Archive »

Original post: Venefica

So do any of you play role playing games? As in Laiv and table top, not as in World of Warcraft? And what games do you play? I love World of Darkness, both new and old, most of the games in the lines to. Though vampire and Mage in both settings have the most appeal, with Werewolf and Hunter and so on coming close behind. I also play allot of Wheel of Time RPG. Other than that I play Ars Magica, Stargate RPG, D&D, Earthdawn, Witchcraft, Call of Cuthulu, Cyberpunk, Cybergeneration and several other games. What games do you guys like?

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: Skeptismo118

RPG's are not really my scene, but you might enjoy

http://www.newdarkage.net/

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: Malamatiyya

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SLA_industries

The only RP game I have played.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: Hanrahan

im getting the new Fable 2 witch is oging to be amazing, and i just bought a vampire rpg for the computer, Vampie The Masquerade - Bloodlines, it came out a couple years ago but still very cool looking (didnt get a chan ce to play it yet) also i think the same creators of that game made a wherwolf rpg game as well,

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: Achreus

I used to play DnD 3.5 edition but now I don't ever since the termites ate my player's manual. :(

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: AstralMagickCraft

I mainly like zelda and final fantasy.

But I am a huge fan of all RPGs

93 93/93

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: Vindictus

eh, I play WoD when I have a chance. I dont suppose you know any good MUDs for Mage? I'm considering making an ecstatic guitarist, but I need somewhere to play him...

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: Rin Daemoko

I play the new World of Darkness as well as Exalted (second edition). I've played the new Mage and Vampire, and a little bit of the new Werewolf as well.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

im getting the new Fable 2 witch is oging to be amazing, and i just bought a vampire rpg for the computer, Vampie The Masquerade - Bloodlines, it came out a couple years ago but still very cool looking (didnt get a chan ce to play it yet) also i think the same creators of that game made a wherwolf rpg game as well,
In this tread I was thinking about RPG games not computer games. No computer game really is a RPG game. I have always hated them calling it that, for truly even if you can put stats on your computer character do not mean you RP it. Not to say that I do not like fantasy, horror and science fiction computer games, I do, but to me they are not RPG games.

White Wolf Game Studios that made Bloodlines have made another game about vampires, an older one. Vampire Redemption, it is quite good, and two Hunter games where you hunt monsters. Rumors have it they are also making an MMORPG soon. However they planned but never published a werewolf computer game. Their computer games are based on their pen an paper RPG games, and they have two werewolf pen and paper games.
I used to play DnD 3.5 edition but now I don't ever since the termites ate my player's manual. :(
Termites are your book, shudder, now I will be getting nightmares. :(
eh, I play WoD when I have a chance. I dont suppose you know any good MUDs for Mage? I'm considering making an ecstatic guitarist, but I need somewhere to play him...
Are we talking Mage the Ascension here, not Awakening. I will assume so since you mention the Cult of Ecstasy. I do not know of any muds. I think a computer game would have difficulty with the very beautiful, powerful and free form magick system. But I run several Mage the Ascension forum games if you are interested.
I play the new World of Darkness as well as Exalted (second edition). I've played the new Mage and Vampire, and a little bit of the new Werewolf as well.
You should try the old one.

Skeptismo118 and Malamatiyya thanks for the links. :)

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: hunterwitch_bloodpact

i play rpgs in vg(video game) and p&p(pen & paper) forms

but my main thing is shooter games

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

What pen and paper RPG games do you play?

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

mainly D20 systems that my friends have other than that i read and dl the others to get a good idea

but honestly my thing is to dismantle and create new systems for fun even though they never get used cuz a lot of them are to in depth and or the rules are to strong/vile (in other words the GM/DM would have to do a lot of bad things not only to 1 player but all the players.)

for example

lets say a mage player killed a fighter player for no reason

well the mages strength is his intelligence,wisdom,and mana

well basically u would drop those stats to a 2 in each then only leave him with the high ranking spells

and if he used them he would prolly die doin it

so while thats happening u make the entire group hulk the body back along with taking the mage back al the way to the beginign fighting enemys stronger than they are and would prolly require a mage for them

and once they would get to there destination the player would have to roll perfect rolls in order to get it back

and he would have to re-learn the basics and such all over again

in other words the game would last longer

also it would be a bad thing if they were at a spot for a master mage is needed and the door requires the energy signature of a master mage (defined by the GM/DM)

also along the way u can add ailments and such to the mage to make the difficulty either easyer or harder

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

I am more a fan of loose dice systems, systems where the story flow freely and are not hindered so much by the game system and constant rolling.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

but the cool part is my system for the players them selves

they all start out as basic people with lil or no skills

and they have a plethora of paths to go in to

hell they can merge classes like a summoner with a mage or a paladin with a anti-paladin

things like that

would make nice and interesting characters

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: Homura Goredoun

i played ultima online, neverwinternights and world of warcraft

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Still in my experience a game that have allot of rules and where the story have to be stopped to roll allot of dice all the time tend to be more roll play and role play. Not to say anything bad about your system. I just prefer it when the dice and the rules do not get in the way of the story.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: RedHorse

I've played a lot of RPGs: D&D, old-school WoD, Amber, GURPS, TORG, and no small number of homebrewed systems.

Generally, we preferred for the story to be in the forefront, rather than the die rolling, but that was my main gaming group. I also did hang out with another group that preferred the tactical aspect of D&D. They didn't care about their motivations for going into the dungeon, only that their fighter would be able to accomplish the necessary 5 foot step to get to the next Goblin without giving up their attack.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

I generally only roll if either I do not want to decide that a thing is impossible but give the characters a chance against high odds. Or when I have a PC vs PC situation on my hands. Other times I usually play dice less. But sometimes a little bit of rules can be ok. But yeah I prefer rules light.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: RedHorse

Venefica: I agree with going dice light. But there's occasions when completely diceless is fun too. Have you ever tried Amber?

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: Fatal-3RR0R

I've been wanting to play a pen and paper rpg for a while now. Especially the WOD game, since it really appeals to me. Only problem is I cant seem to find anybody around here that's really into them.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

I have not tried Amber, what is it about? And I agree. Completely dice less work very well and my group often use it.

Fatal, to bad you do not live in Bergen in Norway or you could have joined my group. :D

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: GeWa

I love to play WoW and Starcraft a lot but I have a mac right now and don't feel like going out and purchasing a new wow/sc game :(

One of these days though, I'll totally play you ;) [I hope..]

however... I don't survive very well :/

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

It would be nice to play MMORPG's with somone I know from this site. However my question was really about RPG games, as in pen and paper variants, not computer games.

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Original post: DanWilkie

I've played a few, the best one wasn't actually a fantasy one, West End Games used to do a D6 Star Wars RPG which kept us entertained for quite a while. I've also played a bit of D&D and some D20 Modern.

As for the PC, I've played most of them. It's not neccessarily true that you cant' roleplay in them, it's just harder to remember to act as your character. The Bioware ones are probably the best of the bunch for that sort of thing.

The last time I played D&D was actually in Norway, when I was in Rosendal with work. A bunch of the engineers asked if I wanted to join them since there was nothing else to do. Unfortunately my old RPG group has drifted apart and there's nobody I know still into them :(

Occult Forum Archive
Forum Member
Forum Member

Star Wars D6 is a fun game, though you end up with a hell of allot of dice after a while.

Yes you can RP with a computer game, just as you can RP over an online forum, but that do not mean they are an RPG game.

RPG groups have a tendency to drift apart now and again unfortunately. I hope you find some new pepole to play with.

Return to “Off-Topic”