What are the last Occult movie that you saw?

Writings, poetry and oration, words, books and wordsmiths.

Venefica
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Venefica »

The last Occult movie I saw is named The Entity, it is about a woman who is attacked and raped by an unseen force and the team of parapsychologists who try to help her. The movie is supposedly based on a true story, but I do not know it that is true, but it might be. The movie is good, but it can be a bit slow at times.

Before that I saw a movie named The Good Witch, it is a little feel good Disney style movie about a young woman moving into a little town where she starts up a ship selling oils and talismans. Rumor soon start that she is a witch. The magick in the movie is rather subtle and it is never fully known if the woman is just very good at saying the right thing and reading pepole or if she really do magick, but she do fix allot of people's problems. Off course the snobby ladies of the town want the supposed witch out of town, and there is some intrigue around this and a love relationship between the young woman and the town Sheriff. The movie is simple, but as a little bit of feel good fluff it is nice.
*Learn magic for it is the only truth of this reality, become magic and you will become the essence of that truth--Ars Magica
*Cats are magical, the more you pet them the longer you both live--Unknown
*The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper--Eden Phillpotts

the Kite
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by the Kite »

Chemical Wedding, by Bruce Dickinson (ex-Iron Maiden) and Julian Doyle (who worked on Monty Python), starring Simon Callow as Aleister Crowley. Quintessentiallly British occult tale, with lots of occult referencing so those 'in the know' can read more into the film than the average punter. I loved it.
Now on Facebook as 'Alyster Austin'

Venefica
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Venefica »

Yesterday I saw a movie named Just Like Heaven. It was about a man moving into an apartment and meeting a female ghost. It is a romantic comedy. A bit fun, romantic comedies are not my favorite kind of movie, but it was not bad and had some interesting concepts.
*Learn magic for it is the only truth of this reality, become magic and you will become the essence of that truth--Ars Magica
*The universe is full of magical things, patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper--Eden Phillpotts

Venefica
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Venefica »

I saw a crazy little Japanese movie here the other day named the Attack of the Mushroom pepole. A group of high society folks get stranded on a island full of mutated mushroom pepole. Princess Toadstool and her crew are green with envy, these bastards would beat them to a pulp. :P

Venefica
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Venefica »

I saw the movie 9 yesterday. I think it was beautifully done, the concept was interesting, but it was a bit lacking in the story department, anyway it was a great little story.

Philoneus Bosch
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Philoneus Bosch »

I dont really watch much in the way of tv, but a few months ago I enjoyed the movie 23 and one called Pi about an obsessive-compulsive guy who lives alone in an apartment full of computers.He indulges in obsessively performing complex calculations.Either way, one day he discovers a number with special properties and the rest of the movie catalogues the poor sod's attempts to avoid rabbi kabbalists and other weirdos.

Venefica
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Venefica »

Pi is a brilliant movie. I liked it allot. Was it 23 or The Number 23 which you watched? That is two different movies.

Philoneus Bosch
Forum Member
Forum Member

I think it was Number 23 starring Jim Carey in which he discovers a mysterious manuscript full of strange facts about the number 23. Not usually a fan of his but this was astounding even though I already knew many of the 23 related facts because I read Robert Anton Wilson a few years back (for the second time). Its good to go back and re-read things, there are always things that you miss the first time round.

Venefica
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Venefica »

Yes that is Number 23. I liked that move allot, though it is a few years since I saw it. It was rather interesting. Though in fact if one is looking to see a number and get paranoid about it one will really see it everywhere, but if that is just coincidence or if there is some reason behind it, who knows.

Philoneus Bosch
Forum Member
Forum Member

Good point. If you are determined to find a pattern or meaning to something you will find one. Our brains dont like chaotic jumbles and in fact are enormously good at pattern recognition, hence our ability to see patterns and pictures in things like random arrangements of stars.

Venefica
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Venefica »

Yes and really take any given number, if you are looking for anything to do with that number, the number itself, the number as part of other numbers, numbers which can be added to form the target number and so on and so on then that number will definitely be everywhere.

Venefica
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Venefica »

Yesterday I saw two movies. The Seamstress which was your typical kids out far away from civilization and being picked off one by one by an angry ghost type movie. It was not to good, but if you are like me and like those kinds of movies it can be a bit entertaining. It is about a girl going with her friends to search for her father. it turns out her father was a part of a lynch mob who horribly mutilated and killed a suspected child murderer, before she died the victim cursed them that she would continue to pick them off one by one until the real murderer was found.

The second movie was Cronos, a bit unusual vampire movie. It is really good, it is about an old man who find an old alchemical device, this device rejuvenates him but also give him a thirst for blood, later the old man dies and becomes a full vampire. There is not allot of gore in this movie, but the relationship between the old man and his grand daughter and wife, it is all heart warming and interesting and the movie have a great mood.

Venefica
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Venefica »

Lately I have seen

2012 this is a ok disaster movie about the world ending on the year 2012. The movie is ok, but it is far to long, not that I am against long movies, but if they just feel drawn out, then that is a problem. The real interesting thing about this movie is how it turns out that most of the characters are in some way connected. The scientist working with the government is reading the main character's book. The main character works for another character and his wife had her boobs done by the main character's ex wife's new husband. Almost all the main characters have some strange connection at that is a bit fun.

Echo This is a movie about a man who get out of prison and moves into a obiously haunted apartment. It is a good movie, it moves slowly and rely more on mood than on cheap scares.

Today I say Roost. This is a horrible movie about some kids who get chases by murderous bats who turn pepole into zombies. The only good thing about this movie was the host introducing it.

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

I saw Legion recently.

It's a film about the 'end of days'.It's quite claustrophobic,as it centres around an out of town diner,on a lonely desert stretch of highway and a small group of people thrown together by circumstance....cue Hotel California,lol....

It has some plot holes,but if you are familiar with Angels and the biblical Apocalypse story,then you won't notice so much.I had to explain some background stuff to my friends,in that regard and that spoiled their enjoyment somewhat.

I 'm trying not to write a spoiler,lol.So I won't detail further.
It's a bit slow to pick up ,but when the action starts,it's full of noise and smoke,it gets busy fast.It's entertainment more than food for thought.

I enjoyed it.It's very much in the vein of 'The Prophecy',but with less angels per sq.m.

I also own this film below on dvd.It's another action/entertaintment one,but it has a strong theme and is acted very well,it also suffers,but more I think from low budget constraints than anything else.Yes, I like films with Angels in,lol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabriel_%28film%29

I enjoyed it,but I'd watch anything with Dennis Quaid and Michael Bettany in it.
"He lived his words, spoke his own actions and his story and the story of the world ran parallel."

Sartre speaking of Che Guevara.

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

"I enjoyed it,but I'd watch anything with Dennis Quaid and Michael Bettany in it."

I 'm referring to Legion with this statement.
"He lived his words, spoke his own actions and his story and the story of the world ran parallel."

Venefica
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Venefica »

I like Gabriel. It is a interesting movie how they have made the Angels almost human in their behavior. I enjoyed that movie very much. I have it on DVD.

Venefica
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Venefica »

I saw Keeper of Souls yesterday. I did not like it. It is about an old sorcerer who escaped the Salem Witch trials and now run around in hillbilly land with his band of helpers and sacrifice pepole for unknown reasons. The movie have odd pacing and while the story is ok for a B horror flick, the jumping around all over the place of the scenes make the movie's plot rather hard to follow.

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

Valhalla Rising.

If you like your landscapes broody and bleak,stories with evisceral intensity that forces you to think along with the characters and also distinctly lacking in verbal dialogue,then this is for you.I loved it,it gave me what I expected,from the title,but in an unexpected way.

This is about hamefaring,spititually as well as physically.

Empire online:Valhalla Rising gets into your mind and stays there. [It does]

http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/rev ... FID=136755

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

Argh.Excuse the typos above.

TheSeeker
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by TheSeeker »

Valhalla Rising...

Watched it on your rec., Nah.
Cool flick. As a good friend of mine said, "... very grim and frostbitten indeed."

Loved The intense Odinocity of it. :D

Herne01
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: What are the last Occult movie that you saw?

Post by Herne01 »

I was surfing through Xfinity last night and came across in "Free Movies" "Tamara".....didn't realize it was a "witch movie" until I started watching it.....kind of lame....but entertaining....."Practical Magic" is one of my favorite occult movies......the original "Wicker Man" was the first "occult/pagan" movie I really viewed....the first "satanic movie" was the "Devil's Rain" some 40 years ago with William Shatner and Ernest Borgnine....small cameo appearance by Anton LaVey.....Anton was also "technical advisor".

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

Priest.

I loved this film.Paul Bettany again,as a Vampire hunting Priest of a future dystopian Theocracy.

The machinery and the clothing/settings owe more than a passing nod to the Steampunk genre.

It's action packed and filmed in a spare and washed out way.It looks like a graphic novel on screen at some points and this is actually a very cool effect,it suits the story well.

http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0822847/[url ... tt0822847/[/url]

Stukov
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Stukov »

I'd seen some pretty bad reviews of Priest, but supposedly there is an uncut/directors cut that is a whole lot better. Last "occult" movie that I saw...well that I remember I would say Babylon AD - Directors Cut - European edition...really hard to find legit, but it is an AMAZING movie. The regular US theatrical release is complete trash. The DC/EE is just what the movie was meant to be.

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

Ah,I watched Babylon AD,must have been the shit version,lol,I liked it but there were plot holes and it seemed a bit off.It was originally a graphic novel,I think?

I 'm not sure which version of Priest I saw,but it rocked,so must've been the decent one.

I don't watch much in the way of films,I have a naturally short attention span so I get bored quickly.I do enjoy certain types though,mostly Martial arts/historical and action flicks.

Stukov
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Stukov »

Nahemah wrote:Ah,I watched Babylon AD,must have been the shit version,lol,I liked it but there were plot holes and it seemed a bit off.It was originally a graphic novel,I think?

I 'm not sure which version of Priest I saw,but it rocked,so must've been the decent one.

I don't watch much in the way of films,I have a naturally short attention span so I get bored quickly.I do enjoy certain types though,mostly Martial arts/historical and action flicks.
Yeah, the director was over budget and over time for Bab AD and the studio got the stuff and wanted to make it an "action" movie a short run time, however it was made as more of an art piece with only a few scenes of action. The studio cut out every that made the movie make sense, demanded an action scene towards the end (pointless car chase that doesnt exist in the DC/EE) and released it as crap and it did horrible. If they had released it as the director made it, it would have done much better.

I watch far too many movies.

Return to “The Pen and The Poet”