What is happening to occult groups?

For difficult to define queries.

Amor
Forum Member
Forum Member

What is happening to occult groups?

Post by Amor »

Long ago I used to live in a spiritual community that had quite a few members into esoteric/occult material and practices, but after a few years of excellence, suddenly the quality of new members dropped very markedly. So I left.

I recall the owner of an occult bookshop saying that in the 1990s interest in the Golden Dawn largely disappeared.

Then when the internet boomed, there were many forums for Freemasons, but after a decade they all grew rather quiet and most closed. I had put that down to their being pretty much non-operational in occult areas. They speculated again and again, and finally gave up, having learned very little.

Then I come to the more hard core occult forums and they too have largely gone quiet. I can't put that down to lack of operational experience, although I do not know how efficient is the learning process.

Perhaps the most disciplined area of occult work is alchemy, but most of the few forums I have found are rather quiet or closed.

My own area of practice might be called spiritual science - with no obvious limits to interests. Having trained at least 100 in the basic techiques of spiritual science, I do not know any that still practices.

So what is going on?

Is it the end of an era? Have over-lighting entities gone home? Is the human race changing inner focus?

Darroth
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: What is happening to occult groups?

Post by Darroth »

Perhaps the Kali Yuga is simply darkening further

Amor
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Amor »

>Perhaps the Kali Yuga is simply darkening further

How could we devise an experiment to test that hypothesis?

Cerber
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Cerber »

These things, as pretty much all other things in existence, comes and goes in cycles. A breath in, a breath out. There is time for growth, and a time to for decay, and then growth again, and back to decay. That's the nature of all nature. Some time in the future, something will have that will spark occult communities back in to life, perhaps in new forms, or with some twists of old form, in some new mediums and new places, and after some more time it all will go back to sleep again.

Silsebyl
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Silsebyl »

I agree with you, Cerber.

I believe another reason is the hype about esoterism and occultism in the end of last century combined with the internet, where more and more people showed interest in those topics without realizing, that practicing magick means more than just lighting a few candles, drawing a circle on the ground and uttering words with some mysterious meaning. You can find it with every subject: the more people talk and write about it, the more it loses profundity.

In the end people claimed to know everything just because they've read one book. On the other hand they were disappointed that nothing exciting was happening when they followed the instructions of the book. I got tired of trying to explain that occultism is something you don't do as a short time hobby. I got tired of all the people who weren't really interested into learning or exploring something, who wanted to have the desired result before even knowing whether it could be achieved by any magickal practice.

If you, Amor, still are interested in a forum for Alchemy, there is alchemyforums.com. People are active there, but I didn't find anyone talking about his or her actual workings. Since I don't know much about Alchemy, I don't understand the alchemical language well. So I can't tell you anything about the quality of the archive. Somehow I didn't find an approach to what they are talking about there. Alchemy is different to what I experienced with occultism. Maybe I could find something in it for me (besides what I found already), I don't know. Maybe I will go on pondering over Alchemy. I fear I can't learn much from the forum so far, more from the books and my own experiments.

Amor
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Amor »

>more from the books and my own experiments

I recall reading in a medieval alchemical text that "even a woman" could do the practical work. I think what that meant was that an education was not required for physical aspects of alchemical. The text went on to say something to the effect that without the inner intent and understanding, little would result from the physical processes.

Thus, just as in quantum mechanics, the (competent) observer is integral to the process.

The text was actually veiling an important aspect of alchemy, the role of females in alchemy.

This role is generally lost in modern society but I recall in a small museum in Scotland, seeing womens long underpants, with part of the bottom deliberately missing. Apparently, with the vagaries of northern weather, it was often difficult to know when it was safe to plant the new crops.

A suitable woman, planting her bare behind on the soil, would feel the tingle of life force and thereby know that the time had come to plant. This sensitivity is critical to alchemy.

Silsebyl
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Silsebyl »

*lol* yeah, sure. We women do it that way. We plant our bare behind anywhere to feel the tingle of life force. I often do this before I feed my sour dough, just to see whether it is still alife and might be hungry. [greensmile]

I don't know how it is in English, but in German language you sometimes say, that someone is driving his car with his butt, which means he is driving with intuition. [wink2]

Impudicus
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Impudicus »

Facebook.

Everyone went to private groups.

The internet has become a collection of one-liners. Nobody likes to read, type, or have real conversations when ten billion posts worth of crap are constantly scrolling by.

Cerber
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Cerber »

Silsebyl wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:28 pm In the end people claimed to know everything just because they've read one book...
I find it to be far worse when someone claim to know everything (or nearly everything) just because he or she wrote one book (Gods forbid the whole two or even three). Because then ignorance can get contagious. And with few farts in the right places, might spreads like wildfire..

Amor
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Amor »

Cerber wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:40 pm Because then ignorance can get contagious.
There seems to be general agreement that attention spans are diminishing.

"The findings revealed human attention span has fallen from an average of 12 seconds in the year 2000 to just eight seconds today. Humans now have less of an attention span than a goldfish (nine seconds average)."
https://www.medicaldaily.com/human-atte ... sed-333474

It is convenient to link this to mobile devices but that might be superficial. Perhaps the problem is finding meaning in the stimuli available - as if people were instinctively looking for the Real and moving on immediately when not immediately perceived.

Meanwhile mainstream news media (being owned by a few) is filled with fake news to propagate political agenda.

Long ago before the invention of GPS, I discovered that when navigating in unknown territory it was necessary to have at least 2 theories as to where I was. These days it seems that one theory is enough and data that does not fit is discounted as mystery occurrence or novel behavior.

Cerber
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Cerber »

I think there is too much information around, entertaining information. A human mind just keep on looking for cheap and easy excitement now, mostly. And not looking to get smarter, to learn anything, to benefit it self long term.

Impudicus
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Impudicus »

Cerber wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:58 pm I think there is too much information around, entertaining information. A human mind just keep on looking for cheap and easy excitement now, mostly. And not looking to get smarter, to learn anything, to benefit it self long term.
Occult revivals precede periods of innovation and enterprise, arriving on the heels of new ways of looking at the world. That goes back into all ages, some old wise man decided he needed a better view of the sky and we ended up with knowing how to build stuff and do math. Great and wonderful things are usually preceded by quiet people wanting to do weird things.

Where has the desire for the great and wonderful gone? The abubdance of consumable delights has made people less demanding of their futures. The psychic energy of the entire modern world is suppressed by being constantly surrounded with meaningless or hurtful things being advertised as satisfaction.

And so there are fewer magicians, fewer people willing to go beyond collecting and consuming and making vanity projects. Those rare few who do probably don't usually want to have to wade through a lot of crazy talk. The fly fishing forums are more reliable sources of experience.

Return to “Off-Topic (Occult)”