RPG's & the Occult

For difficult to define queries.

sylas vael
Forum Member
Forum Member

RPG's & the Occult

Post by sylas vael »

i practice chaos magick & im always searching for interesting ideas to add to my personal belief system or use in my practices. while i don't play rpg's, i have read many of the game books for world of darkness & mage the awakening. due to its similarity to my own belief structure its easy for me to adopt ideas from the game to use in my practices.

so i was just curious if anyone else on here has found these (or other) game books useful in their own practices.

entropic

Re: RPG's & the Occult

Post by entropic »

Kult.. always loved that game. [grin]

I never got around to use anything from there but I had plans about it, if that counts.

Rin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Rin »

Isn't the Mage game mostly based on real world occult practices? I'm not into RPG's, but I flipped through some of the books once and it seems like it was just a fantasized version of practices that already exist (shamanism, wicca, hermetics etc).
"The path of the Sage is called
'The Path of Illumination'
he who gives himself to this path
is like a block of wood
that gives itself to the chisel-
cut by cut it is honed to perfection"

- DDJ, Verse 27

"It's still magic even if you know how it's done." - Terry Pratchett

TheSeeker
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by TheSeeker »

Rin wrote:Isn't the Mage game mostly based on real world occult practices? I'm not into RPG's, but I flipped through some of the books once and it seems like it was just a fantasized version of practices that already exist (shamanism, wicca, hermetics etc).
My Wife used to play Mage at University, and yes you're quite right, Rin...

sylas vael
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by sylas vael »

Rin wrote:Isn't the Mage game mostly based on real world occult practices? I'm not into RPG's, but I flipped through some of the books once and it seems like it was just a fantasized version of practices that already exist (shamanism, wicca, hermetics etc).
yes that is true, most of it is based on real practices. but there are many ideas within the system which i think are unique. i adopted its model of the metaphysical universe, as my personal model of the universe was always in flux, so i usually went with what worked for the moment. i have also adapted spells from the game to use in my sigil work. & other things besides. it adds some flavor to my occult practices.

Muloc7253
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Muloc7253 »

Not RPGs proper but I know some people work with the mythos from the Elder Scrolls game series.
Wild cats shall meet with desert beasts, satyrs shall call to one another, there shall the Lilith repose, and find for herself a place to rest.

sylas vael
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by sylas vael »

part of my interest in using rpg's comes from my desire to disassociate my work from tradition. i prefer to use fictional & makebelieve concepts which don't carry the baggage of history along with them. the old egregores & thoughtforms hold too much extra weight for my taste. built up from millenia of interpretation & association. i would rather work with something fresh & undiluted so to speak. something malleable.

which is kinda why i practice chaos magick... at least in part.

Return to “Off-Topic (Occult)”