Finding like-minded individuals

For difficult to define queries.

insomni4c
Forum Member
Forum Member

Finding like-minded individuals

Post by insomni4c »

I've been interested in joining a Golden Dawn or Rosicrucian style order but I don't think there are any with temples or lodges in my area, I'd have to drive to a whole other state just to be initiated. So I'm wondering how to go about finding like minded groups or individuals in my area? I figure there must be some way haha. And I know to watch for phonies and cult-like groups, so I don't need a warning there.

The only groups I know of around here are Freemasons, there's a lodge like three blocks from my house actually. But I don't know any members to be recommended by, nor do I have any idea what they do really. Almost All I know about the Freemasons is that the golden dawn was founded by masons.

Mysticwizard452
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Finding like-minded individuals

Post by Mysticwizard452 »

I understand your desire to be amongst like minded people.

I was once initiated into an Order founded on Golden Dawn Tradition. While they did give me a good starting point for my studies, I later learned that I could just as easily have found that starting point on my own. I was simply too hung up on the idea of being 'initiated'.

Some years later, I had to part ways with that order because the "adepts" of that order tried way too hard to control the rate and direction of my growth as a magician. They were trying to hold me back and not for the right reasons. During that period of seperation, I learned that I didn't need to depend on them or their process of "Grade Initiation".

If you simply want the fellowship of other magicians I wish you good luck in your endeavor. My only warning as that you not allow yourself to be enthralled by the opinions of those wearing the fancy grade badges. Your direction in life and as a magician are matters that are ultimately to be kept between you and the highest divinity that you beleive in.

If you are worried about access to magical knowledge, don't be. So much has been revealed in publicated sources that are free of blinds (deliberate mistakes) that you only need to know where to look. The most use that any magical instructor can really be today is as guide to help you navigate through it all.

One approach you mite take is to use your own magic to manifest a connection to the order or group that would be of most benefit to you.

Just stay away from those that do initations over the web or the so-called "astral initations". They're Scams.
Fate is an unworthy ruler. Unfair, Unjust, and altogether uncaring. Do not be ruled by Fate. Usurp it, conquer it, and make it your bitch. Only then can you call yourself a Master.

insomni4c
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by insomni4c »

My main reason for seeking out such a group is definitely fellowship of other magicians and to have some guidance from others who are more experienced, especially people that are on similar paths to mine.

And while initiation is definitely not a necessity I think it would be good psychologically symbolizing a major step along the path or a "new beginning" or rebirth type of an experience, I've started thinking about designing a ritual with that intent and just initiating myself. Given that there don't seem to be any orders or temples near me and some of the concerns you raised and worries you've cleared up it might be a better option all around.

RoseRed
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by RoseRed »

My main reason for seeking out such a group is definitely fellowship of other magicians and to have some guidance from others who are more experienced, especially people that are on similar paths to mine.
And what makes you think that those who are more experienced and can give you guidance want to hang out with you?

Some people like groupies - I'm not one of them. If I had the slightest inkling in real life that someone was using me simply to learn from me - they'd learn quite a lot by needing to bring their psychic self defense skills up to par quickly.

It's one thing to be chosen to be helped by someone. It's another to try to ingratiate yourself for that help.

I'm solitary. I could give a flying fuck about initiations and ranks but I do understand the purpose behind them. You don't move up until you're proficient in specific skill sets, have the proper mindset for the next round and even with all of that - you still have to be someone they want included in their little club.

And while initiation is definitely not a necessity I think it would be good psychologically symbolizing a major step along the path or a "new beginning" or rebirth type of an experience, I've started thinking about designing a ritual with that intent and just initiating myself. Given that there don't seem to be any orders or temples near me and some of the concerns you raised and worries you've cleared up it might be a better option all around.
And what exactly would you initiate yourself into?
When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

autodydact
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by autodydact »

RoseRed wrote: And what makes you think that those who are more experienced and can give you guidance want to hang out with you?

Some people like groupies - I'm not one of them. If I had the slightest inkling in real life that someone was using me simply to learn from me - they'd learn quite a lot by needing to bring their psychic self defense skills up to par quickly.
I think this is a rather harsh approach... Don't get me wrong, I agree with the majority of your posts and have gained much from them, but this one seems a little nasty? If the ultimate aim of all occult practices is self improvement and enlightenment, then surely anyone with those aims is worth your time? I am inspired by several people irl to reach their level of aptitude, but I'm certainly not their groupies. There are people who I interact with purely in order to learn from them, but not out of self centred vanity but rather because I know that outside of our occult activities we have precious little in common. I hope that those people accept and understand that. Equally, if I felt that someone was looking to me for the sole purpose of spiritual gain, I wouldn't scorn them for it. We all start somewhere and we all need a little help along the way.

If you think they are in this for the wrong reasons, let rip and teach them a lesson they won't forget, but I feel that anyone with an ernest interest in the occult deserves any support that can be offered...

RoseRed
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by RoseRed »

You're right. It was.

I was going by the words you wrote. I really didn't think that was all you were looking for.

Part of the problem with this type of communication is that a lot of the emotion and thought behind the words isn't conveyed well.

The way you wrote your last post is very different and obviously has gotten a different type of answer.

Part of my Calling is helping people find their path and get started on it. Not everyone, though. When I feel that pull, because it is part of my Calling, I cannot deny it. As you can see from my posts here I really do try to help people out that have questions and such. I can honestly say that I do not have that pull with you. This isn't going to turn into a personal relationship where I take you under my wing kind of thing - but that's doesn't mean that I won't answer your questions honestly when you post them.

At the same time - not everyone gets my support or help. I do have Guides and I pay attention when they speak to me or nudge in certain directions.

This last part is not about you specifically but there are an awful lot of people just starting out that think they have a right to all the answers and that they should all be given freely. I disagree. My knowledge is my own. It's been paid for with blood, sweat, tears, trials, crucibles and time. Without those things - it's simply book knowledge that cannot be fully understood.

RoseRed
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by RoseRed »

... and a word on psychic self defense skills - learn them. It's one of the most important skill sets that anyone on these paths can have. Not only to defend against other people but also to defend against those things that notice you.

The further along this path you go - the brighter your light shines. Things from the dark are drawn to it.

Mavus
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Mavus »

Hi all here,

I would separate 'fellowship' from any concept of 'initiation'.

Reading the poster's thread, I was hoping you lived in my vicinity and looked to see if you did. I am in Washington State by the way. Unfortunately, 'initiation' is a trap. Imagine a sublime and beautiful temple that just initiated you. Full of the feeling of belonging, of being even loved and important everywhere you turned yourself, not much different than the newly married might. Now imagine some unexpected event swallows up said temple in a horrific woosh... So too goes your foundation and those around you, unless you take up some 'terrible purpose' to 'right yet another wrong'.

A simple but common scenario when once you realize you are an immortal soul and eventually 'everything imagined happens'. Know thy Self and unfold Center up on out and back in and through on and on... where no 'permission or blessing must be or else'.

Kind regards,

insomni4c
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by insomni4c »

And what makes you think that those who are more experienced and can give you guidance want to hang out with you?

I didn't really mean in that way, I'm not really the kind of person to unquestionably follow anyone, nor would I continue to bother somebody that doesn't want to help. When I say I'd like some guidance I mean I'd like the ability to ask questions face to face, but would also like to discuss concepts on equal levels. And it would be nice to know people that I don't have to hide this interest from, I mean being solitary isn't so bad but it would be nice to not be 100% solitary in my work.

I'm gettin along alright on my own and know I don't need an initiation or training by an adept of any order. I just know that there have been times that I weren't trying to figure all this out on my own I'd have made faster progress, I mean I spent years absolutely stagnant till running across a few gems of truth that connected things for me, now I know where I'm going and have actually been making some progress though. But I also understand the need for independence with this kind of thing, if I were to join an order it would only be for as long as it's conducive towards my own spiritual growth.
It'd be more a general initiation into the mysteries, I think an initiation would be useful to symbolically commit to your path, or like a rebirth type of a ritual. I'm not saying I think everyone needs one, just that it could be useful psychologically.

I'll be back to add to this later if there's anything I left out.

insomni4c
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by insomni4c »

I didn't really mean in that way, I'm not really the kind of person to unquestionably follow anyone, nor would I continue to bother somebody that doesn't want to help. When I say I'd like some guidance I mean I'd like the ability to ask questions face to face, but would also like to discuss concepts on equal levels. And it would be nice to know people that I don't have to hide this interest from, I mean being solitary isn't so bad but it would be nice to not be 100% solitary in my work.

I'm gettin along alright on my own and know I don't need an initiation or training by an adept of any order. I just know that there have been times that I weren't trying to figure all this out on my own I'd have made faster progress, I mean I spent years absolutely stagnant till running across a few gems of truth that connected things for me, now I know where I'm going and have actually been making some progress though. But I also understand the need for independence with this kind of thing, if I were to join an order it would only be for as long as it's conducive towards my own spiritual growth.
It'd be more a general initiation into the mysteries, I think an initiation would be useful to symbolically commit to your path, or like a rebirth type of a ritual. I'm not saying I think everyone needs one, just that it could be useful psychologically.
Reading the poster's thread, I was hoping you lived in my vicinity and looked to see if you did. I am in Washington State by the way.
I'm from Idaho, not really a big center for occultists. There is a Freemason lodge in like every town though haha, but I don't think I'm interested in getting into freemasonry.

Didn't mean to double post, was trying to edit the original but the website had other plans lol.

Mavus
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Mavus »

I'm from Idaho, not really a big center for occultists. There is a Freemason lodge in like every town though haha, but I don't think I'm interested in getting into freemasonry.
Hi again, Actually some freemasonry are very adept occultists. Move slow and careful and you could find your way in. However, they often do have a very serious pecking order consciousness. Why I never joined same and similar is both for that reason and submitting to 'vows', though I am careful anyway regarding secrecy and such.

Serious occult studies can have many guises and lines to cross into inner circles, but it may always be that way, well considering what often is at stake.

For instance, everything on this site bot sniffed daily and cataloged...

This need for secrecy hampers good fellowship, that is for sure. Raise your head if you dare!

Kind regards,

insomni4c
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by insomni4c »

Hi again, Actually some freemasonry are very adept occultists. Move slow and careful and you could find your way in. However, they often do have a very serious pecking order consciousness.
I would like to find out more about freemasonry, right now I really don't know much about it. I just don't really know how to go about finding out more except to ask a freemason, and I don't know anyone involved with freemasonry, nor do I know how I'd approach a lodge haha.

RoseRed
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by RoseRed »

From what little interaction I've had with Freemason's - they invite you. Someone who is a part of the lodge takes a liking to you, gets to know you better and then introduces you to another to get their opinion of you.

When I say I'd like some guidance I mean I'd like the ability to ask questions face to face, but would also like to discuss concepts on equal levels. And it would be nice to know people that I don't have to hide this interest from, I mean being solitary isn't so bad but it would be nice to not be 100% solitary in my work.

I know. It's taken years for me to build friendships with others of like mind. It is a wondrous thing to be able to have a sit down and discuss these things over coffee or beers.

Return to “Off-Topic (Occult)”