Is the occasional dram of whiskey detrimental to practice?

For difficult to define queries.

Haelos
Forum Member
Forum Member

Is the occasional dram of whiskey detrimental to practice?

Post by Haelos »

I've recently taken up the occasional drink of whiskey.

I'm personally not a huge fan of alcohol. I don't like drunk people and I don't like being drunk.
However, I've taken an affinity to having a glass or two of some decent spirit, about 3-4 nights a week. In fact, as I write this, I have a nice little buzz going.

From what I've read about it, there is literally no line from being an alcoholic, if you drink alcohol. I don't think I have such a disease, but it's only been a couple weeks into my desire to drink ritually.
Seriously, if you drink alcohol at all, you have a problem. this is what the internet has been telling me.

I'm wondering if this will be detrimental to my overall well-being. I do drink enough to get intoxicated, but not enough to inhibit my ability to act normally. Some call this "high-functioning alcoholism."
Like I said, I've never even been a fan of alcohol before. I made some poor choices in my youth, but I grew out of it a hell of a lot quicker than my peers did (as most of them still haven't grown out of it.)

I once heard a quote that said "They say dress for the job you want; I say dress as the man you want to be."
I take this quote into mind each drink I take. (I'm also a heavy smoker of marijuana, but that's it's own ritual. Figure I should mention it).
Magari may have rubbed off on me too much. I seek to align myself with those who thrive in the high-business world, and to me, the "Gentleman Businessman" has always been a nice black suit and tie, a walking cane (probably with a concealed sword), and a 200 dollar glass of Scotch, neat. And of course, wisdom beyond his years, in more places than simply business.
I feel that if I can contain my tolerance now, I may actually be able to excel in the image I wish to portray to those who do not know me.

What do you guys think? Do you think I'm stretching ideas to cope with the fact that I'm an alcoholic? Do you think this is doing more harm than good?
If I'm causing a problem for myself, I'd like to stomp it out quickly. I'll admit, I have had a slight craving for the nectar since I obtained a toleration of the taste. I've also done well to fight it as needed.
Is drinking alone at home really worse than drinking publicly or with friends?

For a few final notes of reference, if this influences you post at all;
-My father was an alcoholic, terribly. Due to his issues, he eventually lost custody of me when I was in my formative years. For this reason, I've always looked down on the devil's Juice.
-My girlfriend called me an alcoholic a few times in the past week. (It's only been about 2-3 weeks I've been drinking. Before then, hadn't touched it, accept at a party about 2 years ago.) Not sure what her goal is with saying such.
-I seriously don't like drunk people. Even some of the coolest people I've ever known, once they get drunk, I have an immediate hatred of them and their ignorance.
-I've been buzzed enough on decent cheap whiskey this entire time typing this post to retain some of the spinny qualities that alcohol is known for.
-I've used the same glass for every drink of whiskey I've had. It doesn't get cleaned; It get rinsed and dried, then placed on a wooden shelf with my bottle.
-I'm not picky about when I have my drink. I have a fluid schedule, and oftentimes, the morning is my night, and it can change any day of the week.

Seriously guys', lemme know your opinions. I know a decent handful of you are legal to drink in your respective countries, so I would really respect the thoughts of those who do engage in such activities.
Thank you, to anyone who posts here.

Keep in mind that I respect an "occult" mindset when dealing with these issues. I'm a magician, I can destroy this problem without A.A., and I know the methods how. I just need someone with more knowledge and experience than I have, and this forum is ripe with amazing people like that.
(Sorry for no tl;dl. I "Twain'd" this shit. Can't help it.)
Last edited by Haelos on Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"God is an imprecise name for the only thing in the universe that actually exists."
Tell me what you know about darkness, and I will tell you about the light.
Selected Contributions;
Planetary Associations of Common Intoxicants
The Mysteries of Death

https://hdagaz.wordpress.com/

Haelos
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Is the occasional dram of whiskey detrimental to practic

Post by Haelos »

Thought this could be relevant:
"God is an imprecise name for the only thing in the universe that actually exists."
Selected Contributions;
The Mysteries of Death

Shinichi
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Shinichi »

~:Shin:~

Haelos
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Haelos »

Shinichi wrote:

Well shit..
Interesting take.
Selected Contributions;
The Mysteries of Death

RoseRed
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by RoseRed »

My browser is still blocking videos. ugh.

a drink or 2 a few nights a week. I'd say enjoy.

Shall we toast?
When my wings get tired I grab my broom.

EEHC
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by EEHC »

The problem is an increasing reliance on alcohol for ''relief''. Drinking often can lead to more and the bottle becomes your best friend.

I personally am a social/occasional drinker and don't mix that up with my occult studies. It doesn't help me to focus so I have no need for it before practice. I just can't see myself, for instance, having that little whiskey buzz and try to move forward on a mindfulness meditation training at the same time. Alcohol would be more a hindrance, a mental distraction in this case from what I want to achieve.

Caerdon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Caerdon »

I often enjoy a dram of whiskey or a glass or two of wine a few nights a week myself. I've felt there to be no ill effects to me or my practice. I say cheers and enjoy! Although, I should also say that you have to be sure that you never get to the point that you feel you needit for whatever reason, just as a way of warning [thumbup] If you ever do, then it's time to take a break from the sauce for a bit until you no longer feel you need it. [wink]

But yeah, having the occasional drink during the week is nothing to be concerned about, atleast in my opinion, so long as you know your limits. [thumbup]
Time is but an illusion in perception and is only perceived to pass by at the same moments together for us all... which is, quite frankly, me saying to not expect from me in a timely manner!
-I am but a simple wanderer... Though I may be gone for immeasurable time, always do I return.

hellebore
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by hellebore »

What Caerdon said. If your new drinking habit makes you uptight and concerned (understandable given your father's problem) isn't that likely to prove a greater inhibitor to your magick than mild intoxication?

But more importantly, have you managed to get the walking cane with concealed sword?

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Alcoholism isn't about how much you drink, but when you HAVE to drink.
Let's say you drink every day of the week, and then one Wednesday you just don't. If nothing happens, then you are not an alcoholic.
But if the only thing you can think of, is the drink and it even physically hurting you, then you are an alcoholic.

Put up a schedule. You can only drink Tuesdays and Thursday and maybe one on the weekend. BUT, you are not allowed to drink if you are angry, sad or stressed.

Rin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Rin »

Very loosely speaking - yes. Alcohol wreaks havoc on basically every system in the body, and this extends to those energetic systems which we depend upon for magical and spiritual practice. Of course there are plenty of other behaviors people indulge in which are also damaging to the mind and soul (and of course body), so it's hard to generalize. Alcohol is bad for you - but so is a ton of the food people eat, the medications people take, different aspects of the lifestyles people live, etc.

If you eat well, sleep well, exercise frequently, have a firmly established spiritual practice, etc. then you can probably get away with a couple glasses of whiskey once or twice a week (as long as it remains once or twice a week - which is the problem, nobody takes up the use of a drug thinking they will become addicted to it). When it comes to these kinds of behaviors, everyone has to examine their own life and decide for themselves what impact different behaviors are having.

So it depends on the individual. I'd start by saying, If I'm honest, that 3 - 4 times a week isn't "occasional" drinking. Especially combined with "heavy" marijuana use. Throw in the fact that you have a family history of alcoholism (a known factor in determining an individual's own predilection towards alcohol dependence), that you're drinking as many days as not after only a few weeks and that you drink alone, and I think there's reason to be concerned.

So yeah, I'd look long and hard at your motivations for taking up drinking in the manner that you have. Be brutally honest about why you've decided to start. If it's because you want to project a certain image or take up behaviors associated with a certain lifestyle, then why not do that in ways that don't involve alcohol? Save the drinking for occasions when you have company to enjoy it with.
"The path of the Sage is called
'The Path of Illumination'
he who gives himself to this path
is like a block of wood
that gives itself to the chisel-
cut by cut it is honed to perfection"

- DDJ, Verse 27

"It's still magic even if you know how it's done." - Terry Pratchett

RoseRed
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by RoseRed »

Have you seen the movie The Kingsman?

Haelos
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Haelos »

hellebore wrote:But more importantly, have you managed to get the walking cane with concealed sword?
Oh yeah.
Rin wrote:So yeah, I'd look long and hard at your motivations for taking up drinking in the manner that you have. Be brutally honest about why you've decided to start. If it's because you want to project a certain image or take up behaviors associated with a certain lifestyle, then why not do that in ways that don't involve alcohol? Save the drinking for occasions when you have company to enjoy it with.
The main issue with that is the fact that I *would* get intoxicated, should I decide to save drinking for public situations only.
I don't want my first experience with a high-end executive to end up with me naked or vomiting or both. I don't hang out with any close friends who drink, as I spent many years undoing the damage of my youth that those kind of people caused. I got rid of those people for a reason.

I already am taking a look at my motivations, and, unless it's something subconscious and psychological, I feel as though my desires match my words closely.

RoseRed wrote:Have you seen the movie The Kingsman?
I have not. Would you recommend it?
Selected Contributions;
The Mysteries of Death

Haelos
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Haelos »

Desecrated wrote:Alcoholism isn't about how much you drink, but when you HAVE to drink.
Let's say you drink every day of the week, and then one Wednesday you just don't. If nothing happens, then you are not an alcoholic.
But if the only thing you can think of, is the drink and it even physically hurting you, then you are an alcoholic.

Put up a schedule. You can only drink Tuesdays and Thursday and maybe one on the weekend. BUT, you are not allowed to drink if you are angry, sad or stressed.
I'm not good at keeping weekly schedules. I have a daily schedule, of a few things to do each day, but beyond that, I honestly don't even know what day of the week it is most of the time. I've managed to restrict my timeframe to the "now" quite well.

I don't have a set time during the day even that I drink. Like I said in my op, my job allows for a very fluid schedule, and the morning time is often my physiological night-time. I've had a drink at 8 am, and I've had a drink at 8 pm.
I also don't really decide when I'm going to drink until somewhat later in the day. I've usually been up for about 4 hours-5, and until work (which takes place from my home computer), I have very little to do, so oftentimes it's with a mix of boredom and simple desire to drink.

I'm also never sad or angry when I drink, and I'm rarely stressed at all, unless I have some made up problems in my life at the moment.
Selected Contributions;
The Mysteries of Death

RoseRed
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by RoseRed »

Have you seen the movie The Kingsman?

I have not. Would you recommend it?
After reading your opening post - absolutely!

And it's a really cool movie. Enjoy it with your drink.

In all seriousness, though, if you're concerned - maybe that's not the best idea. Yes, addiction and alcoholism can run in families but at the same time, you're not your Dad.

Haelos
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Haelos »

Haelos wrote: I once heard a quote that said "They say dress for the job you want; I say dress as the man you want to be."
I take this quote into mind each drink I take. (I'm also a heavy smoker of marijuana, but that's it's own ritual. Figure I should mention it).
Magari may have rubbed off on me too much. I seek to align myself with those who thrive in the high-business world, and to me, the "Gentleman Businessman" has always been a nice black suit and tie, a walking cane (probably with a concealed sword), and a 200 dollar glass of Scotch, neat. And of course, wisdom beyond his years, in more places than simply business.
I feel that if I can contain my tolerance now, I may actually be able to excel in the image I wish to portray to those who do not know me.

I forgot the fedora / top hat / beret.
God wants you to wear a hat.
Selected Contributions;
The Mysteries of Death

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

I'm with Rosered and Desecrated on this one, mostly. [thumbup]

Slainte mhath!

And I've just completed an importantly graded essay, fueled by large quantities of matijuana and caffeine.

Horses for courses, of course and mine is a large Talisker. [greensmile]
"He lived his words, spoke his own actions and his story and the story of the world ran parallel."

Sartre speaking of Che Guevara.

Haelos
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Haelos »

I'm in the process of finishing my first bottle, which I got on Halloween (I shared a drink with two friends that night from the bottle.)

I also feel like I should mention that I haven't gotten a hangover once since starting to drink whiskey, and I usually sober up fully before I fall asleep.

I kinda wish Shin's video went more into what effect alcohol physically (?) has on prana, in-depth. I'm pretty curious to know, as I can't see prana, and I can only measure certain aspects of my own being.
Selected Contributions;
The Mysteries of Death

Cybernetic_Jazz
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Cybernetic_Jazz »

Haelos wrote:I kinda wish Shin's video went more into what effect alcohol physically (?) has on prana, in-depth. I'm pretty curious to know, as I can't see prana, and I can only measure certain aspects of my own being.
It does a lot of times feel like spiritual authorities are coy on both alcohol and sex. They'll generally agree on moderation, you have the modern Taoists who seem to have a fixation on preserving sperm and I remember the sexual gnosticism of Samael Aun Weor just being spell-bindingly and entertainingly bizarre (probably one of the few occulists I'd pick up a book by occasionally more for entertainment value and to see what he'd say next than anything else). That and!!! Edging and sexual exhaustion can work as well.

Alcohol seems to enjoy the same treatment - moderation from some, quite a few organized religions prohibit it, Rudolph Steiner suggested that Jesus inaugerated wine as a sacrament because we were supposed to have our psychic senses dulled to nonexistence in the Piscean era and he claimed that wine even in levels far too low to have any significant psychotropic value as a depressant had this effect (Max Hiendel seems to go with that to some extent). The equal and opposite kind of entertaining is talking to a natural seer online and they're discussing the similarities between what they experience and the four Kabalistic levels of creation while they excuse themselves for being a bit tipsy on the sour mash (apparently she never read Stiener!). The Kapils in India had skulls that they kept as libation cups and were practicing yogis.

Seems like the ascetics had results, the tantrics had results by throwing themselves at stigmatized substances, and you then had great teachers stating that asceticism didn't work, partying hearty didn't get it done, but the middle way did.

When the answer to both alcohol and sex seems to be definitively yes, no, as well as yes and no simultaneously, I can't help but think that in the end this is a game of figuring out your own neurology. If it weren't something highly individual the 'consistency be damned!' aspect of it wouldn't be quite so assaulting.
You don't have to do a thing perfect, just relentlessly.

Caerdon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Caerdon »

Well, if you want to get right down to the physicality of Prana and alcohol... here's my ideas and musings on it.
The workings of magic is, to a non-too-small degree, reliant on the mind and of the senses, and alcohol does inhibit the mental capacity and dull the senses. It also muddles the structures, or rather partitions, which is used to separate the part of your mind that is used for magical workings and the side that is primarily used for the more mundane functions. Even a small amount technically has an affect upon it, however, it is different for every person. for instance, I can easily have a glass or two of whiskey and wouldn't have it affect me at all that I could notice in any way. However, a pint of Rickards red and I can usually feel the startings of a head buzz coming on, which is enough to have me start concentrating a bit more for doing things. Two glasses of red and I get buzzed. So yeah, as you see, it's different not only for the individual but also for what you have and how it affects you.

If you get a bit tipsy or buzzed, however, that's a bit of a different story, though I don't think anyone here would recommend you practicing in such a state. An uncontrolled and unreliable mind would produce uncontrolled and unreliable results.

Also, another point for the whole Prana and alcohol physicality thing... alcohol is technically a poison which, in large quantities, does put a strain on the body which would affect the energetic system as well. Which is why moderation is important. Your system can easily handle a little without getting strained or having ill effects or interfering in any way. [thumbup]

Well, this is all atleast my thoughts and experience on the matter, so I could be wrong [tongue]
Time is but an illusion in perception and is only perceived to pass by at the same moments together for us all... which is, quite frankly, me saying to not expect from me in a timely manner!
-I am but a simple wanderer... Though I may be gone for immeasurable time, always do I return.

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Haelos wrote:
I'm not good at keeping weekly schedules. I have a daily schedule, of a few things to do each day, but beyond that, I honestly don't even know what day of the week it is most of the time. I've managed to restrict my timeframe to the "now" quite well.

I don't have a set time during the day even that I drink. Like I said in my op, my job allows for a very fluid schedule, and the morning time is often my physiological night-time. I've had a drink at 8 am, and I've had a drink at 8 pm.
I really don't like that combination. There is to much risk of slipping in a schedule like that.
To drink alcohol responsibly you need a lot of self-discipline and that can be hard to achieve in such a chaotic lifestyle.

palindrom
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by palindrom »

Haelos wrote:I've recently taken up the occasional drink of whiskey.

I'm personally not a huge fan of alcohol. I don't like drunk people and I don't like being drunk.
However, I've taken an affinity to having a glass or two of some decent spirit, about 3-4 nights a week. In fact, as I write this, I have a nice little buzz going.

From what I've read about it, there is literally no line from being an alcoholic, if you drink alcohol. I don't think I have such a disease, but it's only been a couple weeks into my desire to drink ritually.
Seriously, if you drink alcohol at all, you have a problem. this is what the internet has been telling me.

I'm wondering if this will be detrimental to my overall well-being. I do drink enough to get intoxicated, but not enough to inhibit my ability to act normally. Some call this "high-functioning alcoholism."
Like I said, I've never even been a fan of alcohol before. I made some poor choices in my youth, but I grew out of it a hell of a lot quicker than my peers did (as most of them still haven't grown out of it.)

I once heard a quote that said "They say dress for the job you want; I say dress as the man you want to be."

What do you guys think? Do you think I'm stretching ideas to cope with the fact that I'm an alcoholic? Do you think this is doing more harm than good?
If I'm causing a problem for myself, I'd like to stomp it out quickly. I'll admit, I have had a slight craving for the nectar since I obtained a toleration of the taste. I've also done well to fight it as needed.
Is drinking alone at home really worse than drinking publicly or with friends?

For a few final notes of reference, if this influences you post at all;
-My father was an alcoholic, terribly. Due to his issues, he eventually lost custody of me when I was in my formative years. For this reason, I've always looked down on the devil's Juice.
-My girlfriend called me an alcoholic a few times in the past week. (It's only been about 2-3 weeks I've been drinking. Before then, hadn't touched it, accept at a party about 2 years ago.) Not sure what her goal is with saying such.
-I seriously don't like drunk people. Even some of the coolest people I've ever known, once they get drunk, I have an immediate hatred of them and their ignorance.
-I've been buzzed enough on decent cheap whiskey this entire time typing this post to retain some of the spinny qualities that alcohol is known for.
-I've used the same glass for every drink of whiskey I've had. It doesn't get cleaned; It get rinsed and dried, then placed on a wooden shelf with my bottle.
-I'm not picky about when I have my drink. I have a fluid schedule, and oftentimes, the morning is my night, and it can change any day of the week.

Seriously guys', lemme know your opinions. I know a decent handful of you are legal to drink in your respective countries, so I would really respect the thoughts of those who do engage in such activities.
Thank you, to anyone who posts here.

Keep in mind that I respect an "occult" mindset when dealing with these issues. I'm a magician, I can destroy this problem without A.A., and I know the methods how. I just need someone with more knowledge and experience than I have, and this forum is ripe with amazing people like that.
(Sorry for no tl;dl. I "Twain'd" this shit. Can't help it.)
i'd say don't dress for the man you want to be, but for the man you are.
then, you can with clear measure make the changes you deem necessary.
and: love yourself at all times.
even if you feel sometimes like you're a hard piece of work for yourself - you're still amazing material [yay]

i don't like alcohol, so can't help you on this one. but i know that addictive traits can be shifted, e.g. from smoking to doing loads of sports... i'd never touch a cigarette again, i'd be back on the hook in an instant, i guess... i prefer being in excellent shape [happyface]

pali

Shinichi
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Shinichi »

My endorsement of Sadguru aside, I thought I'd mention that you can also look at it in a general health perspective.

Cake and ice cream and soda and other junk food is terrible for the body. If you eat too much of it, you will become malnourished and face a host of health issues, from obesity to heart disease and shortened life span. But if you are mostly healthy and just have some cake every now and then, or an ice cream cone every now and then, it's not going to ruin your health.

Drinking is much the same. There are even parts in your liver that specifically evolved to digest alcohol, because humans have always been drinkers. If you just drink a bit, you're not going to ruin your mental or physical health. If you drink a lot, you will. There's a health balance there that every individual has to find for themselves, because every body is different.

palindrom
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by palindrom »

Shinichi wrote:My endorsement of Sadguru aside, I thought I'd mention that you can also look at it in a general health perspective.

Cake and ice cream and soda and other junk food is terrible for the body. If you eat too much of it, you will become malnourished and face a host of health issues, from obesity to heart disease and shortened life span. But if you are mostly healthy and just have some cake every now and then, or an ice cream cone every now and then, it's not going to ruin your health.

Drinking is much the same. There are even parts in your liver that specifically evolved to digest alcohol, because humans have always been drinkers. If you just drink a bit, you're not going to ruin your mental or physical health. If you drink a lot, you will. There's a health balance there that every individual has to find for themselves, because every body is different.

nicely said [yay]

RoseRed
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by RoseRed »

The difference between medicine and poison is the dose.

Return to “Off-Topic (Occult)”