Feathers in magic?

For difficult to define queries.

Khazargo
Forum Member
Forum Member

Feathers in magic?

Post by Khazargo »

Greetings!

Any idea or historical record of people using feathers in magick?

I am researching this beucase I've recently found out my great-grandfather Dila was a healer in a village near my city. He was known to heal people with waving of a feather and chanting.

Was it some symbolism? Or a improvised wand? Any ideas are appreciated.

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Re: Feathers in magic?

Post by Desecrated »

Khazargo wrote:Greetings!

Any idea or historical record of people using feathers in magick?

I am researching this beucase I've recently found out my great-grandfather Dila was a healer in a village near my city. He was known to heal people with waving of a feather and chanting.

Was it some symbolism? Or a improvised wand? Any ideas are appreciated.
Different cultures have different meaning.
A Christian might see feathers as a symbol for angels, a witch something different.

Now, Before somebody starts to talk about Native Americans just remember that there was hundred of different tribes, 13 major different civilization and they were spread over one of the largest landmasses on earth (South America all the way up to the arctic). And that we are also talking about 12000-8000 years of history. Just because prairie Indians had feathers in the 18th century doesn't mean they had the same meaning for mountain Indians 3000 years ago.
And this is the same for almost every tribal community on the earth, the Sami of northern Europe today are different then the Sami hundred of years ago, and the Sami in Norway are different then the Sami in Finland.
So if you want to find out the exact meaning of your grandfathers feather, you need to know what society he belonged to, what region and what years he was active.

But the Sioux and the Apache both used feathers as symbols, or means of identification, different villages had different feathers in different style as a marker of origin and such one can spot familiarity from a far if you saw others on the prairie. (This purpose being less meaningful to the natives that lived in forested areas or in the jungle. But we still see feathers used as decoration in almost every primitive civilization)
Also the Sioux is famous for awarding feathers to warriors. These feathers was then decorated, cut or painted differently depending on the meaning. I would assume they would have had a similar rewarding system for those working with medicine. And just like doctors today wear white robes, the doctors then would have worn something to identify them as doctors.

Just for the sake of this topic here is one way I use feathers:
I have two birds living in my garden. One day I saw the male strutting around on my lawn a couple of feat away from me, so I asked him "hey mister bird, could I have one of your feathers?". I also left them some doggy treats on the fence posts.
A couple of days later I found a feather right outside my door. As the summer went on, I found more and more feathers, and towards autumn, I saw him again and told him. "hello again mister bird, it's getting cold now, so you better not give away any more feathers".
And since then I've found none.

I use them as a link between me and the birds. Some people can see through the eyes of birds, other can talk with them. There is also a link between the animals and the animals parts even after they are dead, the soul can still stay around if parts of the living thing are around. Hence we see animals parts being used in many different cultures.
And yes, when doing fumigations, incense and such, they are really great to fan the smoke with. Feathers are lightweight and really good at pushing air. They can also represent air, the smoke representing fire, the salt representing earth and water representing itself.

There is also a tradition in magic about objects holding power. A rare feather has some power because of it's rarity.
The original swedish witchbroom was made only from twigs that had broken of the tree but not touch the ground, So if you wanted one, you have to go searching for twigs after storms and such.
Storms, of course being, very powerful happenings and the rarity of finding such a twig, means that you have to put a lot of energy into collecting enough for a whole broom.

I've seen similar bundles of feathers use by shamans, and I assume it something similar going on. It's just a proof of how much time and effort you have spent in nature, actually looking. Nowadays everybody has their face buried in their smartphone when walking outside so someone who collects twigs, herbs, flowers and feathers are probably rare.
And this gives it a certain power and symbolic meaning.

Khazargo
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Khazargo »

Thank you so much, such a comprehensive answer!

I guess I should have figured to put the nationality. I, like my great-grandfather am a 100% Serbian (You know, slavic people north of Greece and Macedonia). Also something to note is the fact that magick is taboo in Serbia, being flooded with orthodox christians, so I doubt there were any organised organisations or events.

I have looked into Serbian folk magick, but healing is usually done by putting out the flames. Hexing is done by putting red string on the yard gate. No sign of feathers though

Again, thanks for an amazing answer!

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Khazargo wrote:Thank you so much, such a comprehensive answer!

I guess I should have figured to put the nationality. I, like my great-grandfather am a 100% Serbian (You know, slavic people north of Greece and Macedonia). Also something to note is the fact that magick is taboo in Serbia, being flooded with orthodox christians, so I doubt there were any organised organisations or events.

I have looked into Serbian folk magick, but healing is usually done by putting out the flames. Hexing is done by putting red string on the yard gate. No sign of feathers though

Again, thanks for an amazing answer!
"The archaic, symbolical idea of certain ANIMALS is determined by their position in relation to the cosmic tree on one side, and to the distance from man, on the other. When the axis mundi is taken as a criterion, the animals near the crown of the tree are the birds (eagle, falcon, dove, raven, owl, etc.), " - Professor Ljubinko Radenković
"The World Symbolism in
the South Slavs' Folk Magic"

"The Firebird is described as a large bird with majestic plumage that glows brightly emitting red, orange, and yellow light, like a bonfire that is just past the turbulent flame. The feathers do not cease glowing if removed, and one feather can light a large room if not concealed"

Firebird feather retains the firebird powers, probably the same with all birds.

cyberdemon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by cyberdemon »

Feathers are said to have letters written on them, addressed to the people who find them.
on hiatus. contact via elsewhere.

Khazargo
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Khazargo »

Žar-ptica (ember-bird)? Wow wow wow!

How could I not see the connection with it? It makes so much sense now!

You sir, are a genius!

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Khazargo wrote:Žar-ptica (ember-bird)? Wow wow wow!

How could I not see the connection with it? It makes so much sense now!

You sir, are a genius!
So you're thinking there is a connection between fire bird and using fire in healing?

Khazargo
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Khazargo »

Indeed.
The Firebird is known in Serbian as Ember- bird (žar-ptica).

And I've mentioned before-embers are a vital part of general healing rituals.

I see a link, don't you? The feather is supposed to represent the Ember-bird, the symbol of life and fire.

corvidus
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by corvidus »

Khazargo wrote:Indeed.

I see a link, don't you? The feather is supposed to represent the Ember-bird, the symbol of life and fire.
I imagine the Firebird or Ember-bird could also be considered as the Phoenix, after incineration and resurrection?
Free yourself from the seduction of words.

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Khazargo wrote:Indeed.

it makes sense.

Return to “Off-Topic (Occult)”