What are the limits of Magick?

For difficult to define queries.

ghawke2
Forum Member
Forum Member

What are the limits of Magick?

Post by ghawke2 »

I know that the axiom "all is mind" exists to tell us about the fundamental reality of existence, but we also live in a very real world of physical laws such as gravity, the seasons, our five senses, and the DNA blueprint which defines our physical bodies.

My question is, besides designing a machine or science which breaks, controls, or alters one of these limitations, what is the limit of magick to the person who practices something at home and its potential to affect the physical world WITHOUT such inventions?

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Re: What are the limits of Magick?

Post by Desecrated »

ghawke2 wrote:I know that the axiom "all is mind" exists to tell us about the fundamental reality of existence, but we also live in a very real world of physical laws such as gravity, the seasons, our five senses, and the DNA blueprint which defines our physical bodies.

My question is, besides designing a machine or science which breaks, controls, or alters one of these limitations, what is the limit of magick to the person who practices something at home and its potential to affect the physical world WITHOUT such inventions?
This is what we have learned in the last 10 years or so. Gravity isn't a constant. Neither is the speed of light, their might be things faster then light. time is a measuring tool, exactly how it works, nobody knows., We have at least 9 senses, but there exist up to 21. And DNA can be changed.
Science is such a young paradigm that it keeps finding new answers every year. The stuff I learned in schools back in the 60's are now all obsolete.

Now the other much more interesting question is "what are the limit of magick" in which I would like to answer:

1. I have no idea.
2. Depends on the limit of your imagination
3. Depends on how much you can free yourself from the illusion that you are living in a world with physical laws.

Ušušur
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Ušušur »

I think everyone has their own individual limits, for number of reasons. Magic as such has limitless potential. It's up to magician how much of it he/she can tap into.

777Sloan
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by 777Sloan »

ghawke2 wrote:I know that the axiom "all is mind" exists to tell us about the fundamental reality of existence, but we also live in a very real world of physical laws such as gravity, the seasons, our five senses, and the DNA blueprint which defines our physical bodies.

Magic, like psy-powers, are budding versions of the Power of Creation itself. How far does that go? Well...The universe is one example.

CCoburn
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by CCoburn »

This world we live in is a form of encapsulation. The Occultist sees beyond this barrier, and attempts to affect the things that exist there. And even here on Earth, invisible forces all around us. I don't know the limit, but when I find out I will let you know.

Neither here nor there : CCoburn : The Road Scribe

Horny Goat
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Horny Goat »

In the Bible Of The Undying, also known as You Need Not Age Nor Die, by Dr. C. M. Barrie, he tells of meeting a person/person's who could cause trees to bend down and touch the ground and then become erect again as though they were made of rubber. They did not crack nor break. Presumably they could do the same with lampposts.

There are numerous accounts of the production of apports. Accounts of magickians who could teleport themselves. People who could walk upon water. Look through Bardon's two latter books for a list of abilities a magickian can gain eg. Withstand the greatest heat/fire without damage; swim underwater for hours; render your body so hard as to be indestructible; take on the appearance of other people etc. why would these things be written if they were but fanciful nonsense. I am sure that many of these phenomena are limited mainly by a matter of belief.

CCoburn
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by CCoburn »

TY HG, that was a good read. I have wondered at times about some of the Illusionists I have seen over the years. Don't mean to sound gullible, but they were so damn good I did wonder if they had real Magickal abilities.

Kami
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Kami »

Desecrated wrote:

This is what we have learned in the last 10 years or so. Gravity isn't a constant. Neither is the speed of light, their might be things faster then light. time is a measuring tool, exactly how it works, nobody knows., We have at least 9 senses, but there exist up to 21. And DNA can be changed.
Science is such a young paradigm that it keeps finding new answers every year. The stuff I learned in schools back in the 60's are now all obsolete.

Now the other much more interesting question is "what are the limit of magick" in which I would like to answer:

1. I have no idea.
2. Depends on the limit of your imagination
3. Depends on how much you can free yourself from the illusion that you are living in a world with physical laws.
This.

Back then - people were shorter...

Until now.

So basically - gravity changes WITH time/motion.

Therefore - gravity is dynamic. ~
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Our consciousness is the darkness that envelopes all of the universe; We will live forever because we are the essence that is the absence of light.
|
Spoiler:
I'd rather get buzzed off of some alcohol with a chimpanzee whom also took a shot of some alcohol and go bananas inside of a bounce house while we're both listening to this song:
Over arguing with a fool. ~

ghawke2
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by ghawke2 »

Thank you all for the feedback. You guys rock! Much appreciated. [happyface]

ghawke2
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by ghawke2 »

Thank you all for the feedback. You guys rock! Much appreciated. [happyface]
Horny Goat wrote:In the Bible Of The Undying, also known as You Need Not Age Nor Die, by Dr. C. M. Barrie, he tells of meeting a person/person's who could cause trees to bend down and touch the ground and then become erect again as though they were made of rubber. They did not crack nor break. Presumably they could do the same with lampposts.

There are numerous accounts of the production of apports. Accounts of magickians who could teleport themselves. People who could walk upon water. Look through Bardon's two latter books for a list of abilities a magickian can gain eg. Withstand the greatest heat/fire without damage; swim underwater for hours; render your body so hard as to be indestructible; take on the appearance of other people etc. why would these things be written if they were but fanciful nonsense. I am sure that many of these phenomena are limited mainly by a matter of belief.
Mm. Interesting. I have Bardons Initiation but I will be sure to check out his other stuff as well. That Barrie book sounds cool too!

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Kurokami wrote: This.

Until now.

No, people was shorter back then because of lacking nutrition. Better socioeconomic circumstances and better food has led to a taller people.

But we thought that gravity was a law and that it was constant. But it turns out it's just a theory. Gravity behaves differently depending on what object it is interacting with. We now have standard gravity constant, coupling gravity constant and Strong gravity. Exactly how it works on a quantum level we are not yet sure and we don't know for sure if gravitation is a force or if there is some sort of particle causing this force, and/or why this is so.

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Spida wrote:
TY HG, that was a good read. I have wondered at times about some of the Illusionists I have seen over the years. Don't mean to sound gullible, but they were so damn good I did wonder if they had real Magickal abilities.
Nope, they're just good. And most likely you don't understand how much prop and fakery they are using. People see a card and instinctively think it is a card. We humans are stupid that way.

Kami
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Kami »

Desecrated wrote:
Kurokami wrote: This.

Until now.

No, people was shorter back then because of lacking nutrition. Better socioeconomic circumstances and better food has led to a taller people.

But we thought that gravity was a law and that it was constant. But it turns out it's just a theory. Gravity behaves differently depending on what object it is interacting with. We now have standard gravity constant, coupling gravity constant and Strong gravity. Exactly how it works on a quantum level we are not yet sure and we don't know for sure if gravitation is a force or if there is some sort of particle causing this force, and/or why this is so.
Thanks for the info. :)
Wouldn't find this info - anywhere else on the net. ~

So... Gravity is something else.
Gravity behaves differently depending on what object it is interacting with.
What different objects manipulate or curve gravity - besides size ans density? :/
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Our consciousness is the darkness that envelopes all of the universe; We will live forever because we are the essence that is the absence of light.
|
Spoiler:
I'd rather get buzzed off of some alcohol with a chimpanzee whom also took a shot of some alcohol and go bananas inside of a bounce house while we're both listening to this song:
Over arguing with a fool. ~

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Kurokami wrote:
What different objects manipulate or curve gravity - besides size ans density? :/
Well, we don't know.
But we also thought that it didn't mater. If you drop a small ball and a big ball from a tower they land at the same time, therefore we thought that the gravitational force was constant, Turns out that in the universe there are smaller and bigger balls then we could imagine and sometimes these objects don't behave like they do on earth.

CCoburn
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by CCoburn »

Desecrated wrote: Nope, they're just good. And most likely you don't understand how much prop and fakery they are using. People see a card and instinctively think it is a card. We humans are stupid that way.
I understand. My experience is to complex and diverse to be summed up in such a manner.
Lord of Illusions is a great movie about a real Magician who masquerades as an Illusionist to avoid persecution. It's JUST a movie, but a good one.

Cheers

Return to “Off-Topic (Occult)”