Any Martial Arts Recommendations?

For difficult to define queries.

RockDemon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Any Martial Arts Recommendations?

Post by RockDemon »

So recently I am thinking to do some martial arts practices along with my mental exercises and some little physical exercises. After doing some research I really liked the Wing Chung. Unfortunately I cannot yet afford any training with a teacher, so do you guys know any good free courses out there in the internet? I am not able to find one.
Wing Chung is preferable but feel free to recommend anything relevant. Maybe you know some martial arts system that will go well with IIH?

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Re: Any Martial Arts Recommendations?

Post by Desecrated »

Well qigong and tai chi are the obvious ones. But I would also check out Bagua.

RockDemon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by RockDemon »

Desecrated wrote:Well qigong and tai chi are the obvious ones. But I would also check out Bagua.
Well I was recommended qigong by Rin back a while. But I was unable to find any good resources about that. However I never tried searching for tai chi resources. And as I tried it a few moments ago I found this wonderful resource for tai chi!
http://www.beginnerstaichi.com/

corvidus
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by corvidus »

I highly recommend Aikido. Or at least reading 'The Heart of Aikido'.
Free yourself from the seduction of words.

Matrozs
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Matrozs »

Baguazhang is that kind of martial art that is popular because wikipedia lists it alongside tai chi. Everybody is hyped up for it but there are few qualified teachers even in China and very few people outside of China that actually know their stuff.
A master in an internal martial art should not only be able to perform all forms of their lineage with extreme precision , speed or slowness but should know every philosophical idea and all the theory behind every little movement. Of course , beside all these, a master also has massive amounts of chi and is able to move his chi around like a whirlwind.

You can't really learn any martial art without a proper instructior , let alone an internal one , where the teacher should correct your moves with his own chi projection,

As per Aikido .... true Aikido died with Morihei Ueshiba...
Vjalár mekrum wyrd hrywn.

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Matrozs wrote:Baguazhang is that kind of martial art that is popular because wikipedia lists it alongside tai chi. Everybody is hyped up for it but there are few qualified teachers even in China and very few people outside of China that actually know their stuff.
I choose it as a recommendations because it is an absolute killer leg workout.
In my opinion Chinese people are not magical, European can teach martial arts just as good as they can. But I understand where you are coming from.

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Matrozs wrote:
As per Aikido .... true Aikido died with Morihei Ueshiba...
They said the same thing about Judo when Jigoro Kano died, and the same thing with Funakoshi Gichin. And it's partly true that we do loose a hell of a lot when a founder die. Many of these people are extremely talented and inspiring. And their teachings tend to go beyond the limit of their art.

As far as aikido goes, I could talk myself blue in the face about the difference between Iwama-ryū and aikikai but I'm guessing our opinions would differ anyway.

Either of these things don't take away from the fact that aikido is a fun way to learn about traditional martial arts and can be enjoyed by both young and old. It's a great way to start a path and it's one of the few time it's socially excepted to wear a skirt in public.

Matrozs
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Matrozs »

Well , OP probably wants to practice the art which best suits his needs . I'm guessing he expects not only physical fitness and abillity for self-defence but also chi cultivation and more discipline over his energetic body .
I think we both agree that one cannot learn any proper form from some mojo-dojo.
For the OP's guidance , I can say that Yoshinkan aikido 'seemingly'' lost most of it's internal part but it is probably his best bet if he doen'st have any other options , officialy they still include at least meditation in their curriculum.

When I said that aikido died with it's founder , I meant that we may never ever again see a properly executed suwari-waza where an attacker smashes to the ground and cannot move , while the only thing he felt was a slight tingling in his body . Nowadays people tend to forget about the path of least resistance, the art of no hurt and cultivation of self , all of which were the fundamentals of aikido in the past.

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Matrozs wrote:Well , OP probably wants to practice the art which best suits his needs . I'm guessing he expects not only physical fitness and abillity for self-defence but also chi cultivation and more discipline over his energetic body .
I think we both agree that one cannot learn any proper form from some mojo-dojo.

Having a good teacher is good, having a great teacher is great, and having no teacher can certainly be challenging. ( I personally might think that a teacher is almost unavoidable at some point, but for somebody who just wants to try martial art out, signing up to a dojo might be over the top)

Now, I've always practiced martial arts within the confounds of a dojo and I think at some point I probably agreed with you, but having practice magic as a solitary, I no longer hold that opinion.
The development of chi, will and intent doesn't come from a teacher, that comes from the own individual.
Rockdemon is already an accomplished magician, I'm pretty sure he will figure out how to add energy work to pretty much any martial art, but I personally think that tai chi or qigong would be the easiest to work with from a magical standpoint. But bagua is also interesting because it deals so much with the flow. And so does aikido.

For the OP's guidance , I can say that Yoshinkan aikido 'seemingly'' lost most of it's internal part but it is probably his best bet if he doen'st have any other options , officialy they still include at least meditation in their curriculum.
The religious part of aikido that the founder brought to it have always been somewhat problematic. He never forced his students to convert to it, obviously it influenced a lot of philosophy but he also felt that religion was a personal mater. Something to be practiced outside of the dojo. So any serious practitioner of martial arts have to have that in mind, there is physical training at the club, but if you want to add meditation, prayer and energy work to it,that is probably done best at home.
Even when I studied aiki-jujutsu and kenjutsu there wasn't a lot of mental work done in the dojo, but it was underlined that the mental part was just as big if not bigger part of the style. However that was very often practiced solitary.
When I said that aikido died with it's founder , I meant that we may never ever again see a properly executed suwari-waza where an attacker smashes to the ground and cannot move , while the only thing he felt was a slight tingling in his body . Nowadays people tend to forget about the path of least resistance, the art of no hurt and cultivation of self , all of which were the fundamentals of aikido in the past.
Not necessarily true. it wasn't that long ago that I saw one of the international teachers posting a video about shortest route and least resistance.
I'm just going to make an assumption that you didn't know ueshiba on a personal level and that you've probably read that in a book or heard someone else talking about it.
Well, so have every other serious practitioner of aikido. I'm not saying that every one has the skill to pull that off, but there are certainly people devoting themselves to just that level of technique and mindset. My teacher actually went back to college to learn japanese so that he could go over to japan and practice it there, and many others have that sort of commitment to the art.
But yes, most people are lazy assholes, so I'm sure there are a bunch of lazy assholes pretending to do aikido without having a lick of intent towards chi work. But don't assume that every modern practitioner of martial art thinks that way.

Matrozs
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Matrozs »

Desecrated wrote: Now, I've always practiced martial arts within the confounds of a dojo and I think at some point I probably agreed with you, but having practice magic as a solitary, I no longer hold that opinion.

There is a diference , however . There are few , if any , prerequisites for practicing magic , one of these being the obvious study . On the other hand , we are talking about sophisticated styles that require pin-point accuracy to get all the benefits. It is very likely that a beginner will perform the forms wrong if he , for example , learned them from a book . If he persists without being corrected , he will not get all the benefits of said form , even worse , the practicioners well being can be affected for several reasons.

But , of course that study will not hurt anybody. In fact , as you pointed out , a little ''testing out'' is something I recommend as well . But for somebody serious I can only recommend a serious teacher. This is my view .
Desecrated wrote: But don't assume that every modern practitioner of martial art thinks that way.
I sometimes consider myself a modern practicioner ...

RockDemon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by RockDemon »

Thank you guys for your recommendations and interesting conversations.

Shinichi
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Shinichi »

Anyone interested in Chinese Martial Arts, especially the Internal Arts, should look at the work of Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming. I'm particularly fond of his Tai Chi Qigong and the Tai Chi Chuan long form book and DVD. His book on Xing Yi is worth it just for the Treatise translations at the back, and he also has books and videos on how to practice not only Taiji Sword but also things like Taiji Chin Na (Grappling), which can get very Aikido-ish.

I also regularly read The Tai Chi Classics, by Waysun Liao.

~:Shin:~

RockDemon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by RockDemon »

Shinichi wrote:Anyone interested in Chinese Martial Arts, especially the Internal Arts, should look at the work of Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming. I'm particularly fond of his Tai Chi Qigong and the Tai Chi Chuan long form book and DVD. His book on Xing Yi is worth it just for the Treatise translations at the back, and he also has books and videos on how to practice not only Taiji Sword but also things like Taiji Chin Na (Grappling), which can get very Aikido-ish.

I also regularly read The Tai Chi Classics, by Waysun Liao.

~:Shin:~
Thanks Shin will definitely check these out.

RockDemon
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by RockDemon »

By the way I found a group training of wing chun that is affordable for me. I really enjoy the trainings.

Cybernetic_Jazz
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Cybernetic_Jazz »

I've mostly been working with Kali, Panantukan, and some of the southern Chinese stuff including Kuntao, Wing Chun, etc..

If you're looking for something that integrates rather directly with the magical work I'd second all of the advice to find a good Tai Chi and Qigong instructor (notably Pat Zalewski often hypes tai chi's dovetailing with magic). If you're looking for good self-defense as well, finding a good instructor who teaches along the same lines as Dan Inosanto does (ie. blended Chinese/Filipino/Indonesian/Malaysian) is a good direction to go in.
You don't have to do a thing perfect, just relentlessly.

Return to “Off-Topic (Occult)”