Experiences in real Occult Groups and covens

For difficult to define queries.

Deathcakes
Forum Member
Forum Member

Experiences in real Occult Groups and covens

Post by Deathcakes »

I have been wondering how do Covens and Occult groups really operate, I have heard a couple things but I really don't grasp what it means to be in a occult group. Haven't been here in a while But I started thinking about this after i saw this video and read some stories about old occult groups. I know that the video seems exaggerated but give me an honest idea of what some one would be dealing with.

fraterai
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Experiences in real Occult Groups and covens

Post by fraterai »

I won't speak from direct experience but there are so, so many of these types of stories that i'm certain that there are situations where it is difficult to leave a coven due to certain personality types (didn't watch the vid, sorry, but familiar). I guess it can be difficult at the start to determine if a certain group is right for you, but in my experience there are some very clear signs of what is control and what is secrecy for sake of initiation, etc. I have helped personally with people that have been attacked and manipulated by "Christ-like" types that are out to control others through hypnosis and many other means, so it certainly exists, and i'm sure people are threatened with it when they try to leave.

She (posted video) may or may not be exaggerating but really there are so many stories of people getting into power plays, fearing for their life, "magical deaths", and what have you, that of course this is going to happen. These sorts of problems are very common in the occult which is why psychic self defense and understanding your self and your thought process should be at the top of every persons list, especially beginners.

With a lot of practice in those things I think it is safe to join in and participate in ANY group at all, even those you might consider dangerous or completely disagree with, something like this can be a very interesting personal exercise in perspective and paradigms, but it takes a strong will and sense of self to pull it off.

Just some thoughts
Only right reflection and right meditation can free you - Ananda Metteya

Deathcakes
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Deathcakes »

fraterai wrote:I won't speak from direct experience but there are so, so many of these types of stories that i'm certain that there are situations where it is difficult to leave a coven due to certain personality types (didn't watch the vid, sorry, but familiar). I guess it can be difficult at the start to determine if a certain group is right for you, but in my experience there are some very clear signs of what is control and what is secrecy for sake of initiation, etc. I have helped personally with people that have been attacked and manipulated by "Christ-like" types that are out to control others through hypnosis and many other means, so it certainly exists, and i'm sure people are threatened with it when they try to leave.

She (posted video) may or may not be exaggerating but really there are so many stories of people getting into power plays, fearing for their life, "magical deaths", and what have you, that of course this is going to happen. These sorts of problems are very common in the occult which is why psychic self defense and understanding your self and your thought process should be at the top of every persons list, especially beginners.

With a lot of practice in those things I think it is safe to join in and participate in ANY group at all, even those you might consider dangerous or completely disagree with, something like this can be a very interesting personal exercise in perspective and paradigms, but it takes a strong will and sense of self to pull it off.

Just some thoughts

Thanks for the advice, the funny part i actually read a couple books on Psychic Defense when i was into my practice a couple years ago so understand what you are saying, I only stopped practicing and learning avidly because life situations, but as i get more stressed from life I feel like returning to my practice would give some mental solitude and hope for a better tomorrow, (I work in retail which is a miserable job which is draining me of my youth and hope), The only thing keeping me going is my dream to be a web programmer, get a car, work normal hours and actually able to socialize normally. But getting to said dream requires of me self discipline which i have lost due to loss of self control at all levels. Another thing is because i work such horrible hours (4pm-12pm) i feel like I will join one of these groups to fill my need for social interaction and get into major trouble, That's the only reason why i ask this.
Last edited by Deathcakes on Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

the_spiral
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by the_spiral »

I have been peripherally involved in a few covens and groups. Honestly I got tired of the witch wars and personality cults and have much preferred working solitary lately, but I think it all depends on the group. In the best situations you have independent, self-actualized practitioners coming together for a greater magical purpose, creating a powerful ritual whole that exceeds its parts. But if enough members are immature, codependent and/or power-hungry their combined ego issues can get messy and detract from the work. And this includes both physical lodges and online groups.
"Follow the path of the radiant life force as she flashes upward like lightning through your body." - Vijanabhairava Tantra

Deathcakes
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Deathcakes »

the_spiral wrote:I have been peripherally involved in a few covens and groups. Honestly I got tired of the witch wars and personality cults and have much preferred working solitary lately, but I think it all depends on the group. In the best situations you have independent, self-actualized practitioners coming together for a greater magical purpose, creating a powerful ritual whole that exceeds its parts. But if enough members are immature, codependent and/or power-hungry their combined ego issues can get messy and detract from the work. And this includes both physical lodges and online groups.
Wow, I never thought things got this deep, There are witch Wars, I thought witches were very earth centered and fairly peaceful. But they are still people so it shouldn't be too much of a surprise. Honestly when I meet witches they tend to be very defensive as if i am trying intrude on their beliefs when i am quite fascinated being an avid student of the occult as a whole. I would like to have friends who are occultists but they are just too over protective and hard to approach.

the_spiral
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by the_spiral »

Deathcakes wrote:
the_spiral wrote:I have been peripherally involved in a few covens and groups. Honestly I got tired of the witch wars and personality cults and have much preferred working solitary lately, but I think it all depends on the group. In the best situations you have independent, self-actualized practitioners coming together for a greater magical purpose, creating a powerful ritual whole that exceeds its parts. But if enough members are immature, codependent and/or power-hungry their combined ego issues can get messy and detract from the work. And this includes both physical lodges and online groups.
Wow, I never thought things got this deep, There are witch Wars, I thought witches were very earth centered and fairly peaceful. But they are still people so it shouldn't be too much of a surprise. Honestly when I meet witches they tend to be very defensive as if i am trying intrude on their beliefs when i am quite fascinated being an avid student of the occult as a whole. I would like to have friends who are occultists but they are just too over protective and hard to approach.
It's not a witch problem, it's a people problem. And many occultists still experience discrimination in their communities for their practices so it doesn't surprise me if some of them are secretive. Also some initiation processes limit what one is allowed to share with the uninitiated. Just keep your practices strong and eventually you will find your tribe.
"Follow the path of the radiant life force as she flashes upward like lightning through your body." - Vijanabhairava Tantra

Deathcakes
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Deathcakes »

It's not a witch problem, it's a people problem. And many occultists still experience discrimination in their communities for their practices so it doesn't surprise me if some of them are secretive. Also some initiation processes limit what one is allowed to share with the uninitiated. Just keep your practices strong and eventually you will find your tribe.
I see, A lot of this revolves around being comfortable with yourself, Self Psychology plays a deep role in spiritual growth. Would you say there is a difference in spiritual groups depending on age, Or at least does age play a factor in how certain groups operate, if they are composed of teens and young adults is there a trend of certain quirks manifesting in those groups as compared to groups with older more seasoned mature members. I am not saying the stuff can't go squirrely either way i am just making a comparison since I now actually fall into the former group vs. the later group.

chowderpope
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by chowderpope »

I'm sure there are nice peaceful covens, and there are probably many covens with weirdo toxic people in them. Let's get real, the occult seems to attract a lot of strange birds who think they're dark satanus necromaster vampire witches, so I'm not surprised at all that there would be some uncomfortable situations they might create.

A note on the video though: It seems like this lady spends 15 minutes saying absolutely nothing. I feel like this whole video was an excuse for her to almost reveal her nipple to everyone watching. She says hardly anything of substance and rattles on about nothing for the majority of the video. Did I miss something?
Awake from sleep! Remember you're the son of a Great King, see to whom you're enslaved!

Deathcakes
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Deathcakes »

chowderpope wrote:I'm sure there are nice peaceful covens, and there are probably many covens with weirdo toxic people in them. Let's get real, the occult seems to attract a lot of strange birds who think they're dark satanus necromaster vampire witches, so I'm not surprised at all that there would be some uncomfortable situations they might create.

A note on the video though: It seems like this lady spends 15 minutes saying absolutely nothing. I feel like this whole video was an excuse for her to almost reveal her nipple to everyone watching. She says hardly anything of substance and rattles on about nothing for the majority of the video. Did I miss something?

I understand what you are saying, People like to have moments of grandeur using the occult a vehicle of kinds. I will have to say your throwing together of titles really says a lot for those who have such power trips. But about the woman in the video, I did say that the video was kind of exaggerated so if that's the impression you got, honestly I couldn't disagree with you. Her nipple was trying to make an exit, but thanks for your input on the subject.

chowderpope
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by chowderpope »

I'm just being silly [gz] I'm probably going to watch more of her videos, I'm actually curious what her experiences were like in this coven and apparently she talks about it in other videos.
Awake from sleep! Remember you're the son of a Great King, see to whom you're enslaved!

Deathcakes
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Deathcakes »

chowderpope wrote:I'm just being silly [gz] I'm probably going to watch more of her videos, I'm actually curious what her experiences were like in this coven and apparently she talks about it in other videos.
Oh, It's good to keep a silly out look on thing to lighten the mood but in all honesty I am fairly curious as well.

Procel
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Procel »

chowderpope wrote:I'm sure there are nice peaceful covens, and there are probably many covens with weirdo toxic people in them. Let's get real, the occult seems to attract a lot of strange birds who think they're dark satanus necromaster vampire witches, so I'm not surprised at all that there would be some uncomfortable situations they might create.

This is spot on. I will go a step further and point out that spiritual and religious groups as a whole (not limited to occult beliefs) draw odd birds. I live in the US and travel around a bit. There are regions here known for flavors of mainstream religions (doing my best to be nice here) that have well earned reputations for eccentricity. My point being, it's not just witch covens that get a bit overbearing. The promise of eternal life is a powerful draw for power trippers. Prayer groups can be vipers nests. Add the dimension of occultism and yes, you will run into some folks you don't want to spend time with, and they may or may not let go of you when you want to leave.

Faith answers people's desire for meaning. When you become a part of a religious group ("mainstream" or otherwise) you may become part of that greater meaning for the members of the group. By extension, when you publicly identify your belief, you may become a focal point for other individuals and groups greater meaning. Baptists may feel the need to save your wicked soul. That is an uncomfortable position and a legitimate reason why lots of good, sincere practitioners will not let you into their circle, because you may be there to "save" them. There are lots of pitfalls to letting people into your spiritual life. That goes for the individual looking for community as much as for the group being approached by an individual.

There are lots of intelligent people here. If there was an easy answer, it would be on the table already. Be really, really careful with other people. People can be warm, tender and giving and they can be savage, hairless apes with the gift of speech. Looking for the former in a jungle full of the latter is a worthy struggle.

ErebusNamtar
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by ErebusNamtar »

I'm a solitary practitioner because for one I feel it's much easier to focus and direct a single intention into a working ritual. I have dabbled with two groups which were okay I guess. The over-inflated egos left of their own accord but the groups kind of drifted apart over time. We didn't so much lack focus as felt that we were better off doing things on our own and simply chatting about our results now and then.

Some people are naturally inclined to group-work and others aren't. I'm definitely a soloist as my journey into the occult is a deeply personal one. As I learn, I learn a lot about myself and others would just cloud that knowledge with their own wants and needs. I'm way too individualistic to 'sacrifice' myself for the greater good.

I have also personally seen the drama and met certain types that think they are some sort of occult gods but are plain losers when it comes to real-life. I just avoid it altogether though when an interesting group does pop up I'm willing to work with them a few times after which I will go my own way again. We both grow from those experiences but do not stifle one another further.

Deathcakes
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Deathcakes »

Procel wrote: Faith answers people's desire for meaning. When you become a part of a religious group ("mainstream" or otherwise) you may become part of that greater meaning for the members of the group. By extension, when you publicly identify your belief, you may become a focal point for other individuals and groups greater meaning. Baptists may feel the need to save your wicked soul. That is an uncomfortable position and a legitimate reason why lots of good, sincere practitioners will not let you into their circle, because you may be there to "save" them. There are lots of pitfalls to letting people into your spiritual life. That goes for the individual looking for community as much as for the group being approached by an individual.

There are lots of intelligent people here. If there was an easy answer, it would be on the table already. Be really, really careful with other people. People can be warm, tender and giving and they can be savage, hairless apes with the gift of speech. Looking for the former in a jungle full of the latter is a worthy struggle.

Man, Self balance and control is the hardest thing to achieve in life because it requires a lot of sacrifice of things that at first you think will make you happy but then once you get said things you realize it wasn't what you thought it would be like. The phase "you don't know what you have until it is gone" is a very true statement and keeps coming back for someone like me who can't seem to appreciate what i have in front of me all that well. What i mean is the luxury of peace and quite and times to oneself. I know that as I keep progressing in life I will balance out as I learn to be comfortable with who I am and I what i choose to reveal about myself.

Return to “Off-Topic (Occult)”