Familiars/Animal Spirits

For difficult to define queries.

the_spiral
Forum Member
Forum Member

Familiars/Animal Spirits

Post by the_spiral »

I am curious about the animals people here see as familiars or significant symbols in their lives (I don't like "totems" because of cultural appropriation blah blah blah) Or which animal archetypes y'all associate with your spiritual path/draw on for power, and why? And—if you feel like sharing—how that animal entered your life?

(And just for the record mine are snakes, alligators and scorpions. For many reasons [smile] )
"Follow the path of the radiant life force as she flashes upward like lightning through your body." - Vijanabhairava Tantra

chowderpope
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Familiars/Animal Spirits

Post by chowderpope »

I have a personal affinity for the Raccoon, Sloth, Possum, little furry guys like that. Though I haven't made any spiritual connection, some day I may.
Awake from sleep! Remember you're the son of a Great King, see to whom you're enslaved!

LoneWolf
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by LoneWolf »

Wolf, owl [happy]

Daud
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Daud »

I've always identified, and often dreamt about large cats. I.E Panthers, Cougars, Leopards. I wear a Panther pendant sometimes.
"Things derive their being from mutual dependence and are nothing in themselves." -Nagarjuna

"Comprehending beyond good and evil opens the way to perfect skill" Jetsun Milarepa

"Always recognise the dreamlike qualities of life to reduce attachment and aversion." - Jetsun Milarepa

CCoburn
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by CCoburn »

Yeah for me it's cats as well. Not just any cat though, they have to be black.
All black. When I was younger I was attracted to the big black cats. The Black
Panthers AKA Black Leopards. Wanted one as a pet. Anyways, I settle for the
smaller versions. I seem to treat my cats(I have two now) differently than most
around here. I try to avoid taking them to the Vet, and prefer to not have them
fixed as this alters their development, and not for the better. Although this may
solve certain issues, it destroys the animal to a degree.

From the creepy crawly world it would have to be Spiders. I like Wolf Spiders,
and jumping Spiders. Every Spring, Summer, and fall I have one Jumping Spider
that guards my bedroom window screen from intruding insects, or he just likes that
spot. If I see Spiders in my house, I will try to put them outside. I will kill Assasin Bugs
and Earwigs as they are unfriendly. I have been bitten by Earwigs a few times, and I don't
mean pinched. They do bite. It feels like a mild electric shock.

I seem to get along well with Snakes, but have never had one. A few years back, had a
couple room mates in my house. The Girl was Wiccan and had a pet Python, don't remember
which kind, maybe reticulated, seems to ring a bell. Anyways, one night we were all having a
few drinks, and I was checking out the Snake. I let it wrap around my neck, and it got quite
comfy there, and I thought it was cool. That's where it stayed for the rest of the night. Eventually
she had to come downstairs to collect the snake. There I was sitting there with the music cranked
with a snake wrapped around my neck, still. She said she had to have her snake back because
she needed to put it to bed for the night.

Woke up from a nap and felt like typing something,
Regards.

Neither here nor there : CCoburn : The Road Scribe

Calicifer
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Calicifer »

Ravens, wolves, owls.

I do love everything that ravens do symbolize. Knowledge, intellect, magick and death. I always felt attraction to these birds, they have such look in their eyes, showing that there is soul in them. That they can indeed comprehend you and see you as an entity itself. Other two are just secondary animals, I like them, I have a lot in common, but crows and ravens are my real spirit animal. I cannot imagine it being anything other. Owls are too passive, they are observers rather than actors. Wolves do symbolize predatory cunning and wolfpacks which while I do have in myself, it still lacks my other far more stronger characteristic: being distant and brooding. Observing and then acting with very calculated strategy. This might be an owl too, but crow has stronger undertones within me. Well, more I talk why owl is my secondary the more close I feel to that bird. The thing is: they both are very close to me. Maybe with age I will favor owl over a raven, but not today...

Calicifer
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Calicifer »

Funny thing, a spider tried to spin a web in the middle of my room. I threw him to the ground in irritation of his boldiness. He remained upside down for few hours then I decided to check on him. I blew him on his side and he fled to the darkness. I felt that he understood me somehow. Well, whatever it was, that spider never spun his web in my room. He just went outside a window and sat vigilantly in his web. I also allow them to spin their small webs in the corners of the room where they are not visible. I appreciate their company. It was just sad then I murdered my two inhabitants then I had to spray room due to cockroach infestation.

chowderpope
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by chowderpope »

I had a vision of a frog today while doing Qi gong.

I recently protected a frog from dogs, and on another occasion I assisted a frog in getting where he wanted to go. I feel that perhaps the frog spirit appreciates my kindness.
Awake from sleep! Remember you're the son of a Great King, see to whom you're enslaved!

Nahemah
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Nahemah »

I am very fond of squirrels [and they me, funnily enough] and I like other rodenty creatures too.

Black cats are rather interesting animals as well though, I have three cats, but my black one is the most mysterious and imperious of them. She was trained by my older black cat Dubhcat, in the ways of the black shadow ninja kitty. Dubh was one of a kind. A very familiar friend indeed.
"He lived his words, spoke his own actions and his story and the story of the world ran parallel."

Sartre speaking of Che Guevara.

the_spiral
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by the_spiral »

These are great answers!

I wouldn't consider spiders familiars exactly, but I have enormous respect for them. There's a reason they are seen as deities, tricksters, and symbols of spiritual advancement across so many cultures. I'm disgusted when people crush spiders unnecessarily. And I had an inexplicably powerful experience once with a spider who ran down from my ceiling to participate in a candle magick ritual I was doing. I know this sounds bizarre but it literally ran up to the candle and joined in while I was chanting, swaying its body in this weird dance while staring up at the flame. Then when I put the candle out at the end of the ritual it ran back up into the corner again! I still can't explain what that was about but I was like "...umm, thanks little Sister." And yes, the ritual was successful [eek]

For some reason I'm not that drawn to birds or mammals, with a few exceptions. I've always felt more of a mystical link with reptiles, sea creatures and more "primitive" animals. They appeared in my earliest dreams and I associate them with ancient wisdom and the unconscious.
"Follow the path of the radiant life force as she flashes upward like lightning through your body." - Vijanabhairava Tantra

Kami
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Kami »

I am very fond of cats.
Though I may feel like I have a wolf personality, Cats - Cats - Cats.

I know I have a good connection with my cat because when I feel sad and alone - he pops up from out of nowhere making the most concerned cute kitty meow and jumps up onto my bed and positions himself next to my solar plexus and starts purring and rubbing his head underneath my chin.

And that always breaks me, knowing that he can sense my pain - trying to soothe it by cuddling with me.

Tears stream down my cheeks everytime. ~

God, I love animals. <3
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Our consciousness is the darkness that envelopes all of the universe; We will live forever because we are the essence that is the absence of light.
|
Spoiler:
I'd rather get buzzed off of some alcohol with a chimpanzee whom also took a shot of some alcohol and go bananas inside of a bounce house while we're both listening to this song:
Over arguing with a fool. ~

Kami
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Kami »

Every witch who has a pet basically has a potential familiar. <3

How do we create familiars?

By bonding with our pets!

Showing them unconditional love. ~

When they die... :'( They stick around in the astral realm and protect you from evil energies as well as evil spirits.

I'm not sure if it matters to have a lock of their fur.. But it would probably help, right?

I love animals so much!

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Our consciousness is the darkness that envelopes all of the universe; We will live forever because we are the essence that is the absence of light.
|
Spoiler:
I'd rather get buzzed off of some alcohol with a chimpanzee whom also took a shot of some alcohol and go bananas inside of a bounce house while we're both listening to this song:

the_spiral
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by the_spiral »

Kami wrote:Every witch who has a pet basically has a potential familiar. <3

When they die... :'( They stick around in the astral realm and protect you from evil energies as well as evil spirits.

I'm not sure if it matters to have a lock of their fur.. But it would probably help, right?

I love animals so much!

Completely agree on all counts!

Kami
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Kami »

the_spiral wrote:
Kami wrote:Every witch who has a pet basically has a potential familiar. <3

I love animals so much!

Completely agree on all counts!
Right before my cat goes outside from my room window - I always say: "I love you", Because one day he may not come back... </3

I'm certain we're bonded for life. ~

He's a black cat.

He enjoys being black lol, because he has an advantage at night over mouses.

I'm really going to miss him when he's gone... :'(
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

|
Spoiler:

Return to “Off-Topic (Occult)”