Origins of the LBRP?

For difficult to define queries.

Daud
Forum Member
Forum Member

Origins of the LBRP?

Post by Daud »

This is a question that i've been wanting to ask for a while now, but kept forgetting.

Does anyone have any knowledge or is anyone able to make an educated guess regarding the origins of the LBRP? I ask this because it is similar in many ways to aspects found in secret Anuttarayoga tantra mandalas.

I've been working on a little pet project of trying to bridge the ancient esoteric traditions together and i thought the LBRP might be a good place to start.

Thanks.
"Things derive their being from mutual dependence and are nothing in themselves." -Nagarjuna

"Comprehending beyond good and evil opens the way to perfect skill" Jetsun Milarepa

"Always recognise the dreamlike qualities of life to reduce attachment and aversion." - Jetsun Milarepa

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Re: Origins of the LBRP?

Post by Desecrated »

Mark Stavish has made an educated guess that it originated in the Golden dawn. Most likely from Westcotts horrible translation of Sepher Yetzirah. Check out verse 1:13.

Wikipedia however gives a good insigth:

"The principal components of the Qabalistic Cross and the LBRP are drawn from the works of French occultist Eliphas Levi. The text originated as a Jewish prayer, as documented by Rabbi Samson Raphael Hirsch in The Hirsch Siddur [Feldheim Publishing, 1969], which reads as follows:
In the Name of God, the God of Yisrale: may Michael be at my right hand, Gabriel at my left, Uriel before me, Raphael behind me, and above my head, the presence of God."

The first publication of it is in Crowley's The Equinox.

Levi talks about the pentagram in 'key of the mysteries' p.112
Then about the qabalistic word and cross on p 134
I would suggest reading the entire chapter: Mysteries of nature

In Levis 'Magic' Chapter 7 and book 2 chapter VII you have Kabalah and pentacles.
Look up the illustration on page 209: The philosophical cross, or plan of third temple

Levi Transcendental magic
Chapter 5 The pentagram
Chapter 10 Kabalah
And of course the most important parts are the rituals of transcendental magic p187-272

Daud
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Daud »

Much appreciated. I will definitely give these a read.

If anyone else has any ideas feel free to share them.
"Things derive their being from mutual dependence and are nothing in themselves." -Nagarjuna

"Comprehending beyond good and evil opens the way to perfect skill" Jetsun Milarepa

"Always recognise the dreamlike qualities of life to reduce attachment and aversion." - Jetsun Milarepa

Napoli
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Napoli »

I find similarities between the Druid 'Sphere of Protection' and the LBRP. If the LBRP is a Golden Dawn invention, then maybe it is influenced by some other tradition? I find it to be a common trait of the GD, although I could be wrong. In addition, I am doing a grounding and centring exercise with 'Om' chanting. Even though it is shorter in length, its structure reminds me of the LBRP too.
In my sword I trust.

- Ensiferum

chowderpope
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by chowderpope »

If you read Franz Bardon's books he likes to compare Eastern magic with Western. He seems to think that the Western and Eastern esoteric traditions mirror each other and have similar methods and aims.
Awake from sleep! Remember you're the son of a Great King, see to whom you're enslaved!

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

chowderpope wrote:If you read Franz Bardon's books he likes to compare Eastern magic with Western. He seems to think that the Western and Eastern esoteric traditions mirror each other and have similar methods and aims.
Bardon bases most of his theory on theosophy. This idea was championed by Madame Blavatsky.

Return to “Off-Topic (Occult)”