Science says it can prove ghosts don't exist

For difficult to define queries.

C505
Forum Member
Forum Member

Science says it can prove ghosts don't exist

Post by C505 »

Brian Cox a physicist says that ghosts, supernatural spirit being and an afterlife is now disproven thoughts?

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/the-lhc- ... -not-exist

LoneWolf
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Science says it can prove ghosts don't exist

Post by LoneWolf »

1. Funny how ghosts are now another "conspiracy theory".

2. They haven't found a medium that fits into their Model which can carry information patterns about our living cells(ie. parts of our body that science can see) and therefore conclude that nothing exists outside their model. Yep. That sounds like PhD in physics to me.

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Brian cox is an astrophysicist.

That is like a boatbuilder making a statement that electricity doesn't exist because electricity on the water is a bad idea.

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

HOWEVER, Ghosts do not exist according to any known form of science today and does not fit any known form of science either. So your title is correct. According to science, ghosts don't exists.

CCoburn
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by CCoburn »

Science is good, but ultimately in many cases it just establishes correlations based on
the fallacy: Post hoc ergo propter hoc.

Why does Science care about proving Ghosts don't exist anyways? Doesn't Science
have anything better to do? It just sounds stupid!

Neither here nor there : CCoburn : The Road Scribe

Seabed
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Seabed »

During the begining of the industial revolution, science mostly lost touch with reality. It serves corporations (the reductionist model).
Only Lovers Left Alive

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

Spida wrote:
have anything better to do? It just sounds stupid![/align]
Most scientist believes in a objective truth world model.
But it also has a political point. If people don't believe in science we have climate change deniers in politics. And it's really hard to agree on what changes to make if you don't believe in the same reality.

C505
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by C505 »

Desecrated wrote:
Spida wrote:
have anything better to do? It just sounds stupid![/align]
Most scientist believes in a objective truth world model.
But it also has a political point. If people don't believe in science we have climate change deniers in politics. And it's really hard to agree on what changes to make if you don't believe in the same reality.

That is a point I never thought of myself, thanks!

Horny Goat
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Horny Goat »

Brian Cox HIMSELF believes absolutely that ghosts don't exist, which is his choice, but when he believes that science can prove they don't exist then he's mistaken. Science can prove no such thing. Believe whatever you want Brian but try to be a bit more sensible. As for him being an astrophysicist, he's been a television presenter for years now. That's how he makes his living. Before that he was a pop musician. He's no more a scientist than Richard Dawkins is. Neither have worked in science in years.

Rin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Rin »

Sounds like a fairly standard case of double ignorance.
"The path of the Sage is called
'The Path of Illumination'
he who gives himself to this path
is like a block of wood
that gives itself to the chisel-
cut by cut it is honed to perfection"

- DDJ, Verse 27

"It's still magic even if you know how it's done." - Terry Pratchett

TruthSeeker_
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by TruthSeeker_ »

It's the ''defies the laws of physics'' that bugs me. Cox assumes that science has figured it all out. He's making the same mistake as some of his predecessors. He should reserve judgement, especially in the face of such tremendous documentation as the ghost phenomenon. But just because he cannot conceive how it might exist outside of his understanding of physics, he deems the phenomenon impossible.

C505
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by C505 »

TruthSeeker_ wrote:It's the ''defies the laws of physics'' that bugs me. Cox assumes that science has figured it all out. He's making the same mistake as some of his predecessors. He should reserve judgement, especially in the face of such tremendous documentation as the ghost phenomenon. But just because he cannot conceive how it might exist outside of his understanding of physics, he deems the phenomenon impossible.

Brian Cox is an Atheist, so he already dismisses the paranormal. Ironically he once said it was "Naivety to say there was no God" whether or not he believes that now is currently unknown

TruthSeeker_
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by TruthSeeker_ »

C505 wrote:
TruthSeeker_ wrote:It's the ''defies the laws of physics'' that bugs me. Cox assumes that science has figured it all out. He's making the same mistake as some of his predecessors. He should reserve judgement, especially in the face of such tremendous documentation as the ghost phenomenon. But just because he cannot conceive how it might exist outside of his understanding of physics, he deems the phenomenon impossible.

Brian Cox is an Atheist, so he already dismisses the paranormal. Ironically he once said it was "Naivety to say there was no God" whether or not he believes that now is currently unknown
I think he is a brillant man. An awesome physicist. But he is caught in the same materialist trap as many of his collegues. He hasn't made any research on the paranormal either. Ghosts are probably folklore and superstition to him. When you become aware of the extensive documentation on these phenomena or have had personal experiences, you simply cannot agree with his conclusion.

C505
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by C505 »

Yes I have had experiences not with ghosts but other things. So I do not agree with his conclusion but as Desecrated said " yes,according to science Ghosts don't exist"

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

I'll jump in with my own opinion simply to add some color to this discussion.

I am an atheist.
I'm not a skeptic, materialist or a believer in a mechanic universe, but for the record, I don't believe in gods, spirits, ghosts, or that Trumps hair is real.

I've had 3 experiences with ghosts. 2 of them I can explain using logic and science. I still "feel" like it was something more going on, But I can very easily "prove" it wasn't.

One of the experiences, I can't explain.
A friend of mine lived in a very old house, and every day you would here the backdoor open, somebody step in, kick of their shoes, and then start walking towards the kitchen....
And it would just fade away. Every day at 3 pm this happened. We ask her grandmother about this and she simply replied. "O yes, that his my husband coming home, he worked in the barn everyday, and would always come home for a cup of coffee. Like clockwork."
Problem is, the guy had been dead for 20 years, but some part of him still came home every day and did the same routine he had done his whole life.

That doesn't mean that I necessary believe that ghosts are real, it just means that I have one experience that I can not prove to be anything else then real (as far as I know).

---

The interesting thing about ghosts is that they exist in every culture and something like 45% of the population have had some sort of experience with this.
Popularity of a phenomenon doesn't make it real. Remember that 86% of Americans are christian, and that does not prove the existence of god. But I find it very interesting that so many are having similar experiences. And I would really like to know why.

The skeptic society have explanations like light tricks, magnetic fields, power of suggestion and just plain idiots being afraid of their own shadow. But I've meet people who are serious, well-educated, sane and they will swear on their children grave that they experienced something.
Once again. I'm not saying that ghosts are real, or that I believe in them. But it would be interesting to see some serious research into the phenomenon.

C505
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by C505 »

That's interesting Desecrated, based upon this and other posts I thought you were a "believer" ( for lack of a better word). But your input is most helpful

Return to “Off-Topic (Occult)”