Breathing Exercises with Clogged Nose...

For difficult to define queries.

AbraxianChaos
Forum Member
Forum Member

Breathing Exercises with Clogged Nose...

Post by AbraxianChaos »

Forgive me if this is in the wrong place, but I was't entirely sure where to place it.

This year, according to a few things I've read, has been one of the worst in history as far as allergies go. I am highly susceptible to allergens in the air, so I have definitely been struggling more than normal. Usually by this time of year I am through the worst of it and on my way to feeling better, but this year it has just gone on and on and on.

My question is this... is there a particular breathing exercise (or set of exercises) that would be more favorable to a person with a constantly clogged nose? I have been meditating and doing my normal work, but have been forced to breath through my mouth, which doesn't work as well, and also results in cracked lips, dry mouth, etc., which is almost just as bad as struggling to breathe through my nose. It's also just a huge distraction. I have a very hard time reaching a point where I am not thinking about it.

Any help at all? Is anyone else struggling through allergy season? How do you cope? Do you change breathing methods/styles?

Okay... that's enough...
"The hero is he who smashes idols... and the idol of every man is his ego." - Ibn Arabi

chowderpope
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Breathing Exercises with Clogged Nose...

Post by chowderpope »

I'm not sure about alternative breathing with the mouth, but have you tried a neti pot to decongest the nose? I find it is useful if my nose is clogged up.
Awake from sleep! Remember you're the son of a Great King, see to whom you're enslaved!

Horny Goat
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Horny Goat »

Vaseline or lip balm stops the cracked lips.

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

My memory isn't perfect but I think there are some breathing exercises in "science of breath" that uses only one nostril or only the mouth.

But honestly, I would just experiment with some different ways and invent some exercises myself. Play around with different rhythmic breathing techniques till you find something that gives you the result you want.

Rin
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Rin »

If you haven't tried this already, there are nasal sprays designed for clearing the nostrils. I was having a similar problem last year, and started using a saline spray with eucalyptus and mint, and found that within a few days of regular use it easily opened up the nostrils for breath work.

Good luck.
"The path of the Sage is called
'The Path of Illumination'
he who gives himself to this path
is like a block of wood
that gives itself to the chisel-
cut by cut it is honed to perfection"

- DDJ, Verse 27

"It's still magic even if you know how it's done." - Terry Pratchett

the_spiral
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by the_spiral »

I've found the best two pranayama techniques for clearing blockages are kapalbhati and anulom vilom, hope that helps!
"Follow the path of the radiant life force as she flashes upward like lightning through your body." - Vijanabhairava Tantra

Return to “Off-Topic (Occult)”