Extremely comprehensive tarot deck?

Commerce, trade and transactions: CAVEAT EMPTOR:

Haelos
Forum Member
Forum Member

Extremely comprehensive tarot deck?

Post by Haelos »

I'm not sure if this was a good place to post this.

I'm looking for the single most advanced and comprehensive set of tarot cards I can find. If I'm going t o spend money on a deck, they need to have as many correspondences and symbols as humanly possible, while still looking kind of nice.
I'm no expert on tarot. Hell, I can't even say I'm experienced with them. But I've been wanting to learn more, and this lame little LotR deck I found in a box doesn't cut it (first time they'd been opened.)

Like I said, I'm not too sure what to look for or where to look, so any help would be appreciated.
"God is an imprecise name for the only thing in the universe that actually exists."
Tell me what you know about darkness, and I will tell you about the light.
Selected Contributions;
Planetary Associations of Common Intoxicants
The Mysteries of Death

https://hdagaz.wordpress.com/

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Re: Extremely comprehensive tarot deck?

Post by Desecrated »

Rider-waite.

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Clockwork Ghost »

Don't choose Rider Waite unless you just want a Hermetic tarot deck. Thoth is the tarot of Thelema. In my opinion, and I own many tarot decks, I'd suggest Deviant Moon, Night Sun, or tarot Illuminati - three seriously hard hitting tarot decks. Deviant Moon is very easy to use, and the art is incredible, Night Sun is the premier 'occult' tarot deck, and tarot Illuminati is a massively improved take on the old Rider Waite.

frackture
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by frackture »

I'm also looking to buy a Tarot deck. So far i'm more inclined to the deviant moon, simply because i like the artwork better but i also like the night sun.

From your viewpoint which one is more adequate for a beginner?

Desecrated
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by Desecrated »

frackture wrote:I'm also looking to buy a Tarot deck. So far i'm more inclined to the deviant moon, simply because i like the artwork better but i also like the night sun.

From your viewpoint which one is more adequate for a beginner?
Get em both

Clockwork Ghost
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Clockwork Ghost »

Get the Deviant Moon if you want a tarot deck that will serve you for divinatory purposes or the Night Sun if you want a deck you can use in conjunction with magick ritual work.

Cybernetic_Jazz
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by Cybernetic_Jazz »

Unfortunately I don't think there's any 'best for everything' deck. The most 'stacked' deck I think was the Thoth, just that it's got its own obvious Thelemic twists. As far as straight GD-inspired decks Nick Farrell's Golden Dawn Temple Tarot is beautiful and I think worth every penny I paid for it, just that it's also limited addition and came on card stock that you'd destroy if you shuffled them - thus strictly meditative. Anything Rider-Waite is your most standard workhorse and yes, ubiquitous, but also pretty reasonable in symbolism.

As far as beautiful decks of the 19th century - I still have a soft-spot from my Oswald Wirth deck, just that I still have to say it would be a wonderful deck (same for my Masonic Tarot deck) IF it wasn't still stuck with the Fool on Shin. There's a Universal Wirth and I love the boarders but whoever drew it also cheesed out a lot of what I loved about the original so the point kinda got lost.

The Night Sun that Clockwork mentioned is a fascinating deck, I picked up a copy a while back and feel like there are cards I really like (The Star was really interesting IMHO) and others like the Empress and Emperor that I just didn't get. It looks like it was written with a pretty extensive system in mind but I don't know which system that is.

The other thing you could still do is get a Marseilles deck or a Visconti if you find them to your liking.

Just keep reseaching but like I said, I don't know that you'll find any easy answers and - quite possibly - you may find yourself begrudgingly settling with Rider-Waite. If so that's still a great place to start, and probably better to start branching off into other decks, which all of these decks really are branch-off, when you know which direction you'd want to branch off in.
You don't have to do a thing perfect, just relentlessly.

Return to “The Bazaar”