Mind Over Matter

For study and research groups.

dRider
Forum Member
Forum Member

Mind Over Matter

Post by dRider »

Mind Over Matter
I think that the natural conclusion to magick and stuff like it are to have the skill naturally without the need to do anything but use our minds. This would mean not needing materials, drawn sigils, words spoken aloud, hand or body movements, or anything else to cast, simply to think it or envision it to get the same effect. That's the goal of this study topic: to get people's ideas and experiences, and further the education of mind over matter.

Here's some things I think are possible without any preperation of the material kind, some are kinda wild:
  1. Healing
  1. Psychic Abilities
  1. Controlling or Generating the Elements
  1. Entering Alternate Realities
  1. Alternating States of Mind
  1. Invocation and Evocation
  1. Other Rituals or Ceremonies
  1. Divination
  1. Satanism
...and anything else anyone can think of. Good luck and be safe on your own journeys, and we hope to hear about it.
Last edited by dRider on Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

dRider
Forum Member
Forum Member

Re: Mind Over Matter

Post by dRider »

EDIT: I did have a lot of self-important BS put in here, but I don't think it was the real me, let alone good for the reader. Happy casting.
Last edited by dRider on Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dRider
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by dRider »

These are some of the things I've found that can help someone use magick with nothing but their birthday suit:
  1. Trataka meditation helps with one-pointed, single minded focus
  1. get your conscious thoughts out of the way so the intent can take effect
  1. relaxed intent is more effective than super hard concentration
  1. try not to judge what you experience or fit it to what you already know, just experience it
  1. master the body with fasting, proper diet, and exercise, then the mind, then the spirit
  1. don't train till you drop
Last edited by dRider on Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dodaive
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by dodaive »

Meditation has been big part of my life, I typically do it while or next to a water fountain.My favorite Buddhist Sutras are the Lankavatara, Diamond ,and was spoken by the 6th Patriarch.

dRider
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by dRider »

That's excellent. It sounds like you know this mind over matter thing pretty well. What are Lankavatara and Diamond sutras? Ever read Castaneda?

dodaive
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by dodaive »

No I've never read Castenada, the two sutras I mentioned use a very interesting technique. They push the mind to imagine things, then they suddenly do a sort of freeze-frame action where it stops and focuses your attention on what just happened to your mind. The insight into how the mind works is intense. I have been focused recently on a certain idea. The idea is that the mind is constantly being attacked by something, we don't however consider there to be any attacks at all, because we don't have words for the culprit. The culprit is free to attack us over and over, just because words don't exist in our spoken/written language for these culprits, we are therefore unable to identify the culprit, much less protect ourselves from them. Consequently, I have been super focused on Nomenclature and specialized vocabulary to allow one to precisely describe and explain what is happening in the mind. One science that tries to do this is called phenomenology, but I haven't found it to be personally helpful.

dRider
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by dRider »

The more I read on various explanation systems around the world, the more I think that they're all the same even though they seems different because of the different cultures.
Last edited by dRider on Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dodaive
Benefactor
Benefactor

Post by dodaive »

Can you give me some examples? I haven't found any western equivalent for the Chinese words De and Dao. Li is rationality, and Qi is emotionality. What words would you use to describe these words in the Western Occult tradition? i think of Qi as the energy that constructs the spirit world. I'll list more examples when I think of them.

dRider
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by dRider »

In the west, we seem to have killed our link to planetary and galactic energy, but it still exists. Maybe the "holy ghost" is an interpretation of that. I know that the native cultures in the west still think of energy, even if it's just something their grandparents talk about.

The Dao or the Tao are really more generalized ideas than actual practices around America, unless someone knows concrete words that define it. Knomenclature is really interesting, but not something I've studied much, so I don't know about the words, themselves.

JohnTitor
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by JohnTitor »

I personally believe that it falls in with some of Spares works, now that I've had opportunity to pick up his works. I would like to add that one can even banish entities as well as invite them with nothing more than the power of the mind. Many beings are receptive to thought and well.. your will is a powerful tool that is prevalent in all workings to some degree. Psychodrama is particularly interesting to take into consideration when considering the power of the mind in relation to what one can do in any magickal working. I love that this topic was brought up. However, I do believe that in posting this topic, those reading it would be curious as to how you could do these things without using one of the set methods of practice.

Some may have a general idea, but we should expand upon the concepts individually in degrees vs listing many possibilities at once. not bashing. Like I said, i am very glad to see that this is a topic here
Creation is our gift, yet we seek only destruction. We have the ability to achieve greatness and mold our very existence into that which we desire- only to writhe in our perceived notions of existence and preconceived limitations set forth by our predecessors. Let us go forth together and create something wondrous and unique~
----------------------
"If you correct your mind, the rest of your life will fall into place."
Lao Tsu

dRider
Forum Member
Forum Member

Post by dRider »

The universe seems to be a single energetic conduit. Whether calling or banishing, getting help or approval from a water spirit, concentrating energy on an effect (prayer/chanting/etc.), or speaking audible words to a friend, everything is touching, so to speak, with no need for an intermediary medium. The extra ritual is, for those who can circumvent it, a sapper of inner power.

EDIT: I suppose I should clarify that by "sapper of inner power" I mean that, keeping in mind that life on this earth is a limited thing, rituals take time. In learning to make use of every moment of life, in my humble opinion, the end result of learning anything is to do away with anything superfluous.

An internal combustion engine combusts fuel and generates work, but before that work may be applied, some of the energy never makes it to the work piece. (simplified) Electricity travels through wires to spark plug-->spark and compression ignite fuel-->cylinder is compressed-->rod turns crankshaft-->crankshaft spins flywheel-->gears, rods, and pulleys are rotated-->transmission turns one shaft speed into many-->drive shaft turns gears in axle-->axle moves wheels-->wheels propel automobile. In all, only a fraction of the power generated by the combustion reaches the pavement. The rest of it is eaten each time it reaches a new system it has to power.

By the same token, a ritual mucks up the path the power takes to the results. Sometimes, this is unavoidable. The ritual also focuses intent, so maybe the wielder learns the ritual, first, and can subtract what he no longer needs as he sees fit. Religious prayer, shamanic intent, using chi, invoking psychological understandings, and modern psychic capacity--they're all the same. They have different names, and different cultures have socially agreed to see the universe and its workings differently, but they all have the same result: work done for energy applied to an intent.

Return to “Study Groups”